baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

At this rate I might not even get to see Oppenheimer until several days into release.  IMAX showings almost full near me for the OW and I’m not seeing it in any other screen. Even the best of the other screens is blanket Barbie. 

These huge ‘must see in PLF’ movies really need a break when it comes to multiplexes accommodating them with more of these screens. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

At this rate I might not even get to see Oppenheimer until several days into release.  IMAX showings almost full near me for the OW and I’m not seeing it in any other screen. Even the best of the other screens is blanket Barbie. 

These huge ‘must see in PLF’ movies really need a break when it comes to them accommodating multiplexes with more of these screens. 

The issue with PLFs is the exclusivity factor. Exhibitors pay a lot to have these formats but it means that you can't have another one in the same area. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

These huge ‘must see in PLF’ movies really need a break when it comes to multiplexes accommodating them with more of these screens. 

BFI IMAX has no good seats left for any show on opening weekend, including all of the 4am shows. Mental. 

Exhibitors need to start licensing more of these screens going forward or its only going to get worse. A second IMAX is probably more valuable than 2 standard screens for sure. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Hey that's perfectly OK

Most of the big IMAX locations, like the 70mm ones, have already opened the 2nd week to sales.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea let's put the Doomsday clock to one minute to midnight after day one of the most backloaded franchise in Hollywood. Let's see where we stand come Sunday.

Asking that of so many on this forum seems not to be worth it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

BFI IMAX has no good seats left for any show on opening weekend, including all of the 4am shows. Mental. 

Exhibitors need to start licensing more of these screens going forward or its only going to get worse. A second IMAX is probably more valuable than 2 standard screens for sure. 

I don't think it's in the Exhibitors power, I'm sure they'd love an extra IMAX or Dolby screen but IMAX or Dolby are unlikely to agree it to it. 

The flip side is that there are periods where is no big PLF hungry films, a second IMAX screen can't exactly be used for say Challengers. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think it's in the Exhibitors power, I'm sure they'd love an extra IMAX or Dolby screen but IMAX or Dolby are unlikely to agree it to it. 

The flip side is that there are periods where is no big PLF hungry films, a second IMAX screen can't exactly be used for say Challengers. 

I don't think that IMAX would mind it at all

It's an issue of having enough money and the demand for the screens.

10 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Asking that of so many on this forum seems not to be worth it. 

Sure, but there is a limit to being "backloaded", and we have a fair amount of data on how MI7 films perform on weekdays vs weekends, granted in second weekend and beyond, but the true OD should by default be more frontloaded/inflated than the first Wednesday 5 days after release. As well as a plethora of Wednesday releases, many of them animated/family friendly, and not sure why an adult action film would have a better Wed/Weekend multi than those

Like Indy had a 4.95x Wed/Wknd last week, TGM a 6.07x on its second weekend last year, Fallout a 5.58x on its second weekend, and Mario a 4.61x from its OD (no previews though). At best you're getting $50M for the 3-day, and like $75M+ for the full 5-day. I'm not sure what the argument is for a value much above that. And then Barbenheimer swooping in a week later to suck up all the oxygen

• Like 2

So that is an 8.5 million dollars true Wednesday. There's no sugar coating that. That's an awful number. I really hope, really really hope that for the sake of theaters and the box office that the Shrek 2 pattern really does come to fruition.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't think that IMAX would mind it at all

I'm not sure they're eager for it either. They're already pretty strict about approving new IMAX screens (many older buildings requiring retrofit to meet specs or just being flat denied), a question of watering down the product and the brand by those weeks when there is barely one let alone 2 releases that warrant the IMAX screen

The more likely outcome IMO is the continued expansion of chain branded PLF screens (Dolby, RPX, XD, etc), or a new national/global version to challenge IMAX. I've said this before, but it would be wise for a studio (or a collective) to create, brand, and license their own PLF version. Disney in particular has the content library to keep it full with re-releases in the weaker parts of the release calendar

Just now, M37 said:

I'm not sure they're eager for it either. They're already pretty strict about approving new IMAX screens (many older buildings requiring retrofit to meet specs or just being flat denied), a question of watering down the product and the brand by those weeks when there is barely one let alone 2 releases that warrant the IMAX screen

The more likely outcome IMO is the continued expansion of chain branded PLF screens (Dolby, RPX, XD, etc), or a new national/global version to challenge IMAX. I've said this before, but it would be wise for a studio (or a collective) to create, brand, and license their own PLF version. Disney in particular has the content library to keep it full with re-releases in the weaker parts of the release calendar

hmm...

Why do you suppose they allowed the World's Tallest IMAX to be built in Pooler, Georgia?

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Idk why studios are spending Avengers type budgets on films like MI7 and Indy 5 lol

Like an Avenger film guarantees 1.5 billion or more lol 

Inflation and COVID basically covers that. It's not like they greenlit these movies with a 300M budget. It just happend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Expanding Dolby Cinema to more chains would be an easy solution but developing a rival to IMAX would be very difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

Inflation and COVID basically covers that. It's not like they greenlit these movies with a 300M budget. It just happend.

yeah studios need to really lean the budgets in a lot 

If indy or MI7 cost like 150 or so they been fine. 

• Like 2