baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

As i've said, It's very complicated. I *don't* really wanted it to flop cos i'm rooting for theaters, but the fact that it's a flop is actually very good news for Cruise. Now he can hopefully move on to other different and interesting things. If this flop impulses him to do Top Gun 3, then he's a lost cause.

I disagreed but i do think once he’s old enough to not be able to do stunts, he’ll do movies with auteurs so you’ll win in the end, just hang on 

1 hour ago, across the Jat verse said:

How does this sound

8+
16-18
20-23
16-18 // 77-85

There hasn’t been a +100% Fri for a major release (>$1M) since Memorial Day Friday 

Would think best case is +70-80%

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I had never heard about Sound of Freedom...anyway is it going to outgross The Flash DOM? 

At this point i’m ready for this to ended with with 200M DOM and get a BP nomination at the Oscars 

Which is a shame because it looks like a TV movie and everyone one acts like being in a RPG but the industry will certainly try to replicate it

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I disagreed but i do think once he’s old enough to not be able to do stunts, he’ll do movies with auteurs so you’ll win in the end, just hang on 

In his prime he was doing great dramatic work in addition to blockbusters, he's so freaking good in A Few Good Men, not many can go toe to toe with Nicholson like that

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

At this point i’m ready for this to ended with with 200M DOM and get a BP nomination at the Oscars 

Which is a shame because it looks like a TV movie and everyone one acts like being in a RPG but the industry will certainly try to replicate it

I saw the trailer for it and it really does not look like a studio film at all. Looks more like a student film or like one of those VOD nic cage movies. Like even the sound in it was bad.

• Like 1

There's a few reasons I think the MI franchise has failed to have an exponential growth like Fast and Furious. 

1. Despite the movies having excellent reviews it's kind of more of the same. Yeah, it's the new Mission Impossible movie with cool stunts and 90+% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's great but the last three movies all did that and did anyone really expect any different from DR?

2. And I think this is a big one, there aren't really any compelling characters in MI other than Ethan. This is why John Wick has a ceiling and F&F did not. F&F had a huge diverse range of characters that played up its appeal to everyone everywhere. Obviously MI tries more than John Wick to assemble a team but everything is always over shadowed by Tom Cruise going look at me how cool is this. 

3. People might argue with me on this but I don't think the later MI movies are summer movies. They seem to be getting colder, darker and, especially in Dead Reckoning's case longer. I think Fall/Winter would be a better release date and before people bring up that Ghost Protocol made roughly the same as other entries, it was very no1curr when it was released. People were over MI after the 3rd movie did half the box office of the previous entry, GP came many years later and strongly relied on WOM to get the franchise rolling again which it did successfully. 

I really think Paramount should have considered all these things before they let the budget to balloon to nearly $300M, but at least we got a great movie out of it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

1. Despite the movies having excellent reviews it's kind of more of the same. Yeah, it's the new Mission Impossible movie with cool stunts and 90+% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's great but the last three movies all did that and did anyone really expect any different from DR?

This is something I'm kinda feeling. I saw the movie and greatly enjoyed it, but the promos did make it seem like it was "just another Mission: Impossible" in the same way that FX, TF6, and IJ5 all seemed like "same old stuff" for their respective franchises (although M:I7 was, of course, a far better made feature than those were).

I think another thing people are overlooking is how important a good villain can be for action movies. Cavill was a terrific counterpart to Cruise in the previous installment and was played up heavily in the marketing, and if there's one thing I can say was a notable flaw with this otherwise-solid installment, it's that the villains are both weaker and not as big of draws to moviegoers.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Is this the right wing's EEAAO?

- (1) Sound of Freedom Angel Studios $4,424,714 +16% +9% 2,952 $1,499 $53,922,551 9

9% over last Wednesday is kinda frickin' amazing for non-holiday to non-holiday...I call it like I see it, and we don't tend to have small studio releases pull that off...ever...without a huge screen expansion, which this didn't get...

32 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I had never heard about Sound of Freedom...anyway is it going to outgross The Flash DOM? 

It may end up as the #1 original of the year to this point (Elemental will be tough to reach with next weekend's openers, but who knows with this movie now)...it will be #1 for live action original...

Edited by TwoMisfits

There's a My Big Fat Greek Restaurant about 10 minutes from my house. Been open through two major recessions now.  The brand is strong. And it's not even close to the best Greek place in town!

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is a real poster.

Maybe this franchise was always a one-hit wonder but the TV series without John Corbett was a huge fumble. They should have just kept pumping out movies in the aughts: My Big Fat Greek Christmas, My Big Fat Greek Baby, My Big Fat Greek Vacation, etc. It would’ve gotten old eventually, but a sequel in November 2003 would’ve made more money than in 2016. Then they could've milked the 20-year nostalgia much harder last year.

If attendance for Sound of Freedom was about the same on Tuesday vs Wednesday the box office would go up. My local AMC has been pretty much at capacity for evening shows throughout the week (sold out for all but 4-5 accessible seats) and there was no discount yesterday.

For M:I 7, the preview-to-opening day ratio won't work like a normal Thursday night/Friday opening. It's two random non-holiday weekdays and appeals to an older audience. Also previews started at 2 PM, the "full" Wednesday just meant an extra showtime per screen. Plus demand has been burned off with Sunday and Monday early access screenings. Why so chaotic, Paramount? Oppenheimer announced its release date in October 2021.

Anyway, Friday and Saturday numbers will be interesting to watch.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

LMFAO the academy is going to ignore this. It's not getting any Oscar nominations this year. That you don't have to worry about

• Like 2

A lot of people still think MI7 is coming out on Friday instead of Wednesday. The change in release date was very recent and caused a bit of confusion. I remember something similar happened with the first Puss In Boots because DreamWorks changed the release date from November 3rd to Ocotber 27th at the last minute and that affected it's OW.

The real test for MI7 will be the weekend.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

LMFAO the academy is going to ignore this. It's not getting any Oscar nominations this year. That you don't have to worry about

I would usually agreed with this but after Andrea nomination in best actress …