baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

Who would have thought Elemental and Sound of Freedom would be the most interesting films to follow over the summer? Oh course Barbie and Spider-Man: Across the Universe were always going to be interesting but Elemental's legs and SK run and SoF's domestic run are just so interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would usually agreed with this but after Andrea nomination in best actress … 

It's been ignored by the media, it's been excoriated by some of the reviewers and nobody is standing behind it. Nobody's talking about it nobody's mentioning it, this is basically a pariah outside of the big boys club in hollywood. It's not going to be given a nomination for anything

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

9% over last Wednesday is kinda frickin' amazing for non-holiday to non-holiday...I call it like I see it, and we don't tend to have small studio releases pull that off...ever...without a huge screen expansion, which this didn't get...

Is it true that right wing groups buy tickets to inflate grosses, therefore the interest in this is actually artificial? Grace Randolph said so.

1 minute ago, Xavier said:

Is it true that right wing groups buy tickets to inflate grosses, therefore the interest in this is actually artificial? Grace Randolph said so.

Grace is right on this one.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, Xavier said:

No.

They have a brand new thing they do which has never been done before I don't think. They encourage people to purchase tickets for those who don't have the financial wherewithal to go see the movie. They purchase them, the tickets go up on the website and they are free for anybody to claim. So the grosses are not artificially inflated, it's real money.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

No.

They have a brand new thing they do which has never been done before I don't think. They encourage people to purchase tickets for those who don't have the financial wherewithal to go see the movie. They purchase them, the tickets go up on the website and they are free for anybody to claim. So the grosses are not artificially inflated, it's real money.

It's real money but certainly inflated interest. Seen more than a few SOF screenings around here that didn't end up having nearly the attendance than the online block-booking suggested. There's certainly real interest in the movie, just hard to say how much is inflated by this whole "pay for a theoretical person's ticket" thing.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

No.

I'm going to do this for Oppy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's been ignored by the media, it's been excoriated by some of the reviewers and nobody is standing behind it. Nobody's talking about it nobody's mentioning it, this is basically a pariah outside of the big boys club in hollywood. It's not going to be given a nomination for anything

True. Not sure why people are expecting it to. 

Just now, Gopher said:

It's real money but certainly inflated interest. Seen more than a few SOF screenings around here that didn't end up having nearly the attendance than the online block-booking suggested. There's certainly real interest in the movie, just hard to say how much is inflated by this whole "pay for a theoretical person's ticket" thing.

I'm going to disagree with you. When all is said and done and all the dollars and cents are counted, nothing is going to be inflated. Every ticket that is sold was paid for with real money. So whether the gross is inflated by 2 million right now, when it leaves the theaters and the gross is reported it's going to be accurate.

20 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Well, I mean I was at a sold out show...and it was sold out with butts in seats...so folks are seeing it, no matter if they paid for their ticket or not.  Who is paying for the tickets?  I mean, it has a well known pay it forward program that anyone can give tickets and receive tickets (1 per Atom user), so groups could buy there, although I doubt they are doing so in any bigger numbers than a normal "bigger" release (which this has become)...

At this point, I think WOM is getting older, rarer movie goers (both Caucasians and Hispanics, who both had huge percents OW) to show up for a pretty good movie.  You can watch this, and enjoy a crime thriller.

I mean, I'm one who doesn't watch anything faith-based (I've never even seen Passion of the Christ, let alone this year's Jesus Revolution or Father Stu or Chosen season who knows)...I liked it.  It was a totally different movie than anything I've seen in 2023, so that was refreshing...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm going to do this for Oppy.

I think it's something that studios are going to take notice of and maybe try offering it in the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

No.

When does it count towards the box office? When a ticket is claimed or when the the donation is made?

19 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Can’t say about it on US, but here in Brazil yes 

A studio released a biblical movie with strong right wing ideology and the church behind it was giving tickets for free in their temples lol 

It ended up being the highest grossing movie ever for a while

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, harry713 said:

When does it count towards the box office? When a ticket is claimed or when the the donation is made?

They've already separated the gross for that. You can ask Jatinder and others have access to rentrak and other money counting companies. 

In India, over the last 2 years, there have been 3-4 RW movies which were promoted by the party in power and its leaders encouraged their supporters to go and watch the movie in theatres. Normally, these kinda movies wouldn't have done much business at boxoffice as the leads were not well known actors (star power is big in India) but they ended up being massive hits (like among top5 grossers of the year). I feel like we are gonna see something similar happening in US in next few years...maybe for like 1-2 movies a year, we might see official GOP party, leaders will be asking their party supporters to go and watch a movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think it's something that studios are going to take notice of and maybe try offering it in the future.

If the studios resort to "block booking" and free tickets to pad film grosses their days as profitable enterprises that make product people actually want to pay for are DONE.