baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yes. Yes, precisely. I want more of that. I wanted this this year, actually. Both Vol. 3 and ATSV deserved much more than what they got, and I don’t think it’s a superhero fatigue issue, it’s an way too crowded schedule issue. 

My point is that you didn't just suddenly some up with some brilliant solution, they've known and done this, for almost a decade now and will continue to do it as the need arises.

But when you have 3 movies a year, they can't ALL be in the traditional 'off-season'.  They couldn't put GOTG3 where Mario was because that would have been just 3 weeks after AM3.   Not to mention the lack of competition didn't help that one did it?  

• Like 3

Just now, John Marston said:

In terms of release dates I do think scheduling MI one week before another adult targeted competition would take away IMax wasn’t the best move

I wonder if it was a "who will blink first?" situation between MI, Oppy and Barbie where none of them ended up backing down from their release dates. I was convinced that one of Barbie or Oppenheimer would move when I first heard the release dates but it ended up sticking (probably to the benefit of both because of the free marketing) and MI7 ended up getting burned the most as a result.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

My point is that you didn't just suddenly some up with some brilliant solution, they've known and done this, for almost a decade now and will continue to do it as the need arises.

But when you have 3 movies a year, they can't ALL be in the traditional 'off-season'.  They couldn't put GOTG3 where Mario was because that would have been just 3 weeks after AM3.   Not to mention the lack of competition didn't help that one did it?  

I mean I actualy do think no competition helped that movie, switch it with the flash and AM3 probably wouldn't get to $200m domisticly. Same for the flash, it woudn't have dropped 65%+ in it's 3rd weekend if it didn't face any competion. Neither would have done good, but having no competion for the first 3 weeks will give almost every movie some extra money. If you have a movie with great WOM we are probably speaking about quite a bit of money.

I do agree that you can't put every movie in the off season because then it loses it's advantage over the "crowded" months, a fine balance to thread.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

GOTG3 had a fine release slot and got over 350 mil. Putting it against Mario and hoping Mario would blink given the massive presales is "Napoleon invades Russia during winter" level strategy.

I don't think he was saying pit it against Mario literally, just that he thinks it would have done better in that window.

17 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Not to mention AM3’s damaging WOM probably would’ve effected the OW more than it did before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I don't think he was saying pit it against Mario literally, just that he thinks it would have done better in that window.

No, he's literally saying Universal would've punted Mario in terror to some other slot if Disney had somehow rescheduled GOTG3 to Mario's window. That was his actual response!

45 minutes ago, baumer said:

I was just looking over the grosses for the previous mission Impossible movies and they're all very consistent domestically. 200 million-220 seems to be the range and I'm sure this one will be about the same. Obviously the international markets are where it makes bank.

It'll probably do 220 here give or take of course and if it can make 450 or maybe 500 million overseas that's probably where they budgeted it at.

Yeah, this will do in line with the previous entries domestically, which is just fine. Budget is wildly inflated by covid, this was one of the few blockbuster productions that started filming again really early on during the pandemic, which they couldn’t really plan for. Part 2’s budget will be lower

Saying GOTG3 should've planted its foot on the Mario date is no different from what MI quite literally just tried to do, except neither Barbie nor Oppenheimer moved and now MI is stuck in a shitty date

It could work, but if the other studio is confident their product is strong and possibly even stronger than yours you're going to be shit out of luck

Edited by JustLurking

28 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Take a look at my edit on that post you replied there, I tried to explain what I mean there. I don’t see AM3 as a "true" Feb film, like both Deadpool and Black Panther obviously are.

People are really drinking the Kool Aid today, Marvel releasing none of their movies in peak periods is simply not going to happen. The schedule of Spring, Summer and Winter is par with the course. Same with Mission Impossible, all but Ghost Protocol were summer releases and the latter was a December release. 

As @baumer has mentioned, summer is always crowded. Saying studios should release their expensive tentpoles in September or January is crazy town.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Take a look at my edit on that post you replied there, I tried to explain what I mean there. I don’t see AM3 as a "true" Feb film, like both Deadpool and Black Panther obviously are.

How is AM3 not a "true" Feb. film? It was promoted as the major Feb. release like how Deadpool and Panther were in their respective years.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Yes. Fucking MARIO, one of the biggest gaming franchises beloved for GENERATIONS would run from GOTG3. I really wish I had what you were smoking right now.

It would. And smoking is bad for your health. And it will, if they try to compete with either of Disney and WB big players. And I’m also a lifelong Super Mario fan. I’m just realistic about how much famous and how much a Super Mario film can pull off the stunt it did this year.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

It would. And smoking is bad for your health. And it will, if they try to compete with either of Disney and WB big players. And I’m also a lifelong Super Mario fan. I’m just realistic about how much famous and how much a Super Mario film can pull off the stunt it did this year.

What "stunt"? Moving it away from the Avatar slot to maximize its revenue? I'd say that worked pretty well for it!

And the days of people moving away from MCU releases is likely to end if Marvels performs similar to AntMan3. MCU isn't in DCU territory but its films aren't going to automatically inspire fear.