CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Also while we are on it, it's hard for me to compare Dead Reckoning and JW4 cause they are both inherently very different action movies - hell Dead Reckoning is more of a straight spy movie until the climax - and to me they are equally fantastic in a lot of ways.

I think I lean JW4 to an extent simply cause I found it's ending satisfying, it's got more immediately striking striking visuals (such a beautiful fucking movie!), and I simply just vibed with the Lawrence of Arabia/western overtones of it far more since that's my kind of shit.

Fallout trounces both of them though.

50 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I know. You’re right. 
maybe Charlie’s number doesn’t have the early access bundled in? Unless he’s said otherwise. As paramount didn’t put it in with Tuesday or Wednesday’s number. 

@RthMav confirmed the number

I found John Wick chapter 4 third act kinda boring. I liked the film, but it was definitely overrated. The third act went way too long, and the brought the film down an entire letter grade. Very repetitive action. 

This is just sad. There must be really something wrong because even where I am, moviegoing is down. For example, THOR: THE DARK WORLD made $7.95M here ten years ago. The succeeding prepandemic years would have multiple $7M films. Now, halfway through the year, nothing has made more than $6M. THE LITTLE MERMAID is the highest so far with $5.99M.

I want to believe it's because of streaming and high ticket prices. I guess those are the same reason in N. America?

I know Tom's has a busy schedule but after "Maverick" numbers, "Top Gun 3" should have been greenlit immediately for a 2025- 2026 release.   Tom needs to finish the Trilogy before he eventually slows down on the Action stuff.  "Mission Impossible" may be his biggest overall Franchise but "Top Gun 3" has the potential of another Billion which "Mission" has never done.  

33 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This is just sad. There must be really something wrong because even where I am, moviegoing is down. For example, THOR: THE DARK WORLD made $7.95M here ten years ago. The succeeding prepandemic years would have multiple $7M films. Now, halfway through the year, nothing has made more than $6M. THE LITTLE MERMAID is the highest so far with $5.99M.

I want to believe it's because of streaming and high ticket prices. I guess those are the same reason in N. America?

When I was out in the wilderness of Mindanao it was 350 pesos for a 2D show of guardians of the galaxy, why buy one ticket when you can feed everyone in the family at Jollibee instead for close to the same price. 

I have MI7 neck and neck with John Wick 4 for best action film of the year so far. 

They kind of fill different gaps for me. Wick's focus is largely on hand-to-hand and gun based action.

MI7's set pieces are larger and more sprawling, lots of vehicle based action and scale. 

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

I know Tom's has a busy schedule but after "Maverick" numbers, "Top Gun 3" should have been greenlit immediately for a 2025- 2026 release.   Tom needs to finish the Trilogy before he eventually slows down on the Action stuff.  "Mission Impossible" may be his biggest overall Franchise but "Top Gun 3" has the potential of another Billion which "Mission" has never done.  

I agree with this. They would be foolish not to.

I've been a part of these forums right from the beginning, right from 2002 when mojo was the place we called home. There's been a lot of overreactions over the years most of them unjustified but I don't think I've ever seen a bigger meltdown and overreaction than I have in this one. If you look at the mission Impossible numbers domestically this one's on Pace probably to do just a little bit less than what the average is. The international numbers from what I hear so far are very good and not only are people disappointed in the numbers but people are talking about Tom Cruise's career being over LMFAO. Like to use a few movie quotes I feel like I'm on crazy pills. And the quote Mr hand from fast Times at Ridgemont high, are you people on dope?

Maybe it was all of you guys whose expectations were out of whack and out of control. I think too many people were expecting some kind of crazy bump simply because of top gun maverick. But if this films gross is pretty much what the others have domestically and maybe drops a little bit internationally how is that bad? I think these budgets are making you guys see things through a different lens. We all know these budgets from the covid era are inflated because of the covid era.

I do agree that outside of top gun and the mission impossible movies, Cruise has not exactly been money in the Bank over the last decade or so but he's not going to be canceled, part two is not going to be scrapped by Paramount and cruise is not going to set off into retirement.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I've been a part of these forums right from the beginning, right from 2002 when mojo was the place we called home. There's been a lot of overreactions over the years most of them unjustified but I don't think I've ever seen a bigger meltdown and overreaction than I have in this one. If you look at the mission Impossible numbers domestically this one's on Pace probably to do just a little bit less than what the average is. The international numbers from what I hear so far are very good and not only are people disappointed in the numbers but people are talking about Tom Cruise's career being over LMFAO. Like to use a few movie quotes I feel like I'm on crazy pills. And the quote Mr hand from fast Times at Ridgemont high, are you people on dope?

Maybe it was all of you guys whose expectations were out of whack and out of control. I think too many people were expecting some kind of crazy bump simply because of top gun maverick. But if this films gross is pretty much what the others have domestically and maybe drops a little bit internationally how is that bad? I think these budgets are making you guys see things through a different lens. We all know these budgets from the covid era are inflated because of the covid era.

I do agree that outside of top gun and the mission impossible movies, Cruise has not exactly been money in the Bank over the last decade or so but he's not going to be canceled, part two is not going to be scrapped by Paramount and cruise is not going to set off into retirement.

I’m with you to a degree but I just don’t have as much faith in the legs with what’s coming. I hope I’m wrong though.  By all logic it should because the film is outstanding. 

• Like 1

I hear what you're saying but this summer is always the most crowded time of year for movies. It always have to coexist with one another and usually it works out just fine. If the movie is good enough and enough people are recommending it then it will find a way to survive just like other movies have for the last 40 years in the summertime.

But let's give it a worst case scenario and say that it does 160 domestic and 450 internationally. Is a 600 million gross really that terrible? It's not great but it's not horrible.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

When I was out in the wilderness of Mindanao it was 350 pesos for a 2D show of guardians of the galaxy, why buy one ticket when you can feed everyone in the family at Jollibee instead for close to the same price. 

I'm lucky it's just P320 here in my place. It's P370 - P450 in others. IMAX is now P690 - P1000.

Before, 2D was just P220 - P270 and IMAX was just P500.

For a family of four, that's just too much.

7 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

This sucks.  This whole summer has sucked.  The movies themselves,  some of them have been good but it doesn't seem to matter.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  Travel is apparently down this Summer.  Disney parks attendance is way down.  People just aren't spending money on entertainment. 

Inflation eventually bites you in the a$$.  I know my grocery bills are astronomical, and taking my kids to a restaurant is, also.  

Since I have Cinemark, I still try to take them once a month, but now it's Kid Summer series, free tickets (SoF and now TMNT), Atom deals, and the occasional must watch.  

We will be going to MI7, but I STILL haven't bought tickets with my Atom codes b/c I want the kids to be sure they want it, b/c 7 tickets (now that I'm buying for a family friend, too), is a LOT of money...and then add 2 large popcorns, every time, b/c yes. my kids have that as part of the experience.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I hear what you're saying but this summer is always the most crowded time of year for movies. It always have to coexist with one another and usually it works out just fine. If the movie is good enough and enough people are recommending it then it will find a way to survive just like other movies have for the last 40 years in the summertime.

But let's give it a worst case scenario and say that it does 160 domestic and 450 internationally. Is a 600 million gross really that terrible? It's not great but it's not horrible.

MI7 won’t disappear and die. I haven’t seen the box office for Thur but I don’t think Dial of Destiny will disappear either. Films during the Summer are capable of co-exist, it’s not just Barbie or Oppenheimer.

What happened here is just an wild over-prediction for MI7 and I’d argue it didn’t came from the old crew or Charlie, we kinda expected MI7 to perform like this. MI7 will be fine, MI8 won’t be scrapped. I do think that this added to the strike should make Cruise consider TG3 sooner rather than later after MI8 though. They would be dumb if they didn’t. Clearly there is money to yet be made there, maybe not bigger than TGM, but more than the MI franchise.

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think coexistence was easier in older times because technology allowed it to be. There was only so many screens a film could take with a 35mm print while you can scale endlessly with digital. That's what's fueling giant openings and mediocre legs because the demand doesn't get spread out. 

• Like 2