CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

35 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I forgot Birds DOM run wasn’t hit by covid at all… already down to almost nothing at the BO when the pandemic hit. So yeah, big flop. 

Sort of - Covid in China and Italy was known by mid-to-late Feb (I know, b/c I was updating my medicine cabinet), and I know at the 1st Lent soup dinner I went to, folks started talking about canceling activities, and that was Feb 28.

So, it lost some late legs, which hurts the most in March, b/c that was all the college spring breaks,,, now, would it have broken $100M DOM - probably not - but it probably would have gotten to $90-95M...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Amsterdam and Babylon were big budget bombs, and her last two outings as Harley Quinn were under performances 

wtf, is nobody actually reading what I am saying or did I accidentally say that Amsterdam and Babylon were huge, massive hits? 

I know they are bombs!  I just think that specifically blaming her for their failures, because she is poison, seems kinda shitty.  

• Like 9

Amsterdam and Babylon were both dead films walking. There is no magic actress you put in those films that turns them into hits. Amsterdam was just a poor choice, Babylon makes a little more sense, when that script leaked online everyone who read it said she had an Oscar winning part, just didnt get pulled off in the execution.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

wtf, is nobody actually reading what I am saying or did I accidentally say that Amsterdam and Babylon were huge, massive hits? 

I know they are bombs!  I just think that specifically blaming her for their failures, because she is poison, seems kinda shitty.  

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Amsterdam and Babylon were both dead films walking. There is no magic actress you put in those films that turns them into hits. Amsterdam was just a poor choice, Babylon makes a little more sense, when that script leaked online everyone who read it said she had an Oscar winning part, just didnt get pulled off in the execution.

Many people thought Amsterdam would be a comeback for David O. Russell, and practically everyone predicted Margot to be nominated for Babylon initially. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but I don’t think either movie was necessarily a dead movie walking. 

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Blaming Margot for Amsterdam or Babylon to me seems unfair, the issues for those movies are squarely due to the directors. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

I feel like the Collapse of China has a reliable market is the reason for this, a billion without China is the same as it was in the 2010s. 

At this point I would move away from comparing WW nums and mostly looks at WW-C comparison. 1B WW got to the point where it wasn’t worth that much but 1B WW-C never did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I should have made an impromptu club!  Not that it's in anyway locked yet, but until it starts behaving "normally" I'm just going to assume something insane is coming.

Not too late for an “over QM” :Venom:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

@Deep Wang its BOT, BOT is gonna BOT when they get on a drive about something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

too good , and higher than Fallout ,Paramount is messing with the numbers

I mean if EmC thinks its going 21m thats not a Paramount playing thing unless you mean just the broadly haphazard release mess they created. As a massive adults skewing flick +50% (from the 14.5m Friday) or so would be in line, on the upper end (I think) but not totally out of line.

15 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Brad Pitt does though right?  

11 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Nope. Not in 2023. 

What's changed since 2022 then? Because he certainly was a box office draw last year. Bullet Train wouldn't have opened to $30M or legged it out to $100M domestic with a non-star in the lead.