CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Apropos of nothing, I saw a list of comedies from 2004 and it made me realize just how much the cinema landscape changed in 20 years:

Mean Girls

White Chicks

Anchorman

Dodgeball

The Spongebob Movie

Napoleon Dynamite

Shaun of the Dead

13 going on 30

50 First Dates

Team America: World Police

Meet the Fockers

Harold & Kumar - White Castle

EuroTrip

Kung Fu Hustle

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I despise the first movie. I'm very intrigued and I'm definitely going to see the second one because in my opinion it was a pretty Kick-Ass trailer.

Hopefully it's a step up like Annabelle to Annabelle Creation was. I never finished the first Nun even seeing it in the theater 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I just saw it on a regular screen because none of the IMAX screens in my area have recliner seats and my dad and my brother who i went with don't want to watch 163 minute long movie in without them. 

Yeah I don’t think the over 50 crowd is pulling their hair out if they don’t catch the movie on IMAX

Edited by Algebra
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Yeah I don’t think the over 50 crowd is pulling their hair out if they don’t catch the movie on IMAX

I'm always trying to see every movie on a regular screen and the only time I go see them on IMAX or a big PLF is why in the movie doesn't fit my schedule or it's something like endgame or the force awakens of course. But there's a huge difference in price here it's like seven bucks that makes a big difference.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Apropos of nothing, I saw a list of comedies from 2004 and it made me realize just how much the cinema landscape changed in 20 years:

Mean Girls

White Chicks

Anchorman

Dodgeball

The Spongebob Movie

Napoleon Dynamite

Shaun of the Dead

13 going on 30

50 First Dates

Team America: World Police

Meet the Fockers

Harold & Kumar - White Castle

EuroTrip

Kung Fu Hustle

What a great year for comedy that was. There are some real classics on that list and cover everything from innocent family films to raunchy classics.

• Like 3

Great WOM for the Napoleon trailer here in France, it's been a while since we got one. If it's not messing too much with history I can see it selling around 4M tickets. BO is in a much better shape than in the US here. 

Edited by elothar
  • Like 7

47 minutes ago, elothar said:

Great WOM for the Napoleon trailer here in France, it's been a while since we got one. If it's not messing too much with history I can see it selling around 4M tickets. BO is in a much better shape than in the US here. 

the ‘he came from nothing and conquered everything’ tagline is horseshit right off the bat so… we’ll see.

Edited by Hatebox

4 minutes ago, harry713 said:

Barbie 165

Oppenheimer 64

MI7 28

SoF 19

Elemental 7.5

Okay, everyone seems to be really high. I hope that doesn't bum out folks next weekend, when everything still does great, but doesn't get close to many of these figures...

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Elemental is not a success or even worthwhile story DOM unless it hits the @MovieMan89 multi and gets to 200M+ DOM. 

:hahaha:

Lol, you didn’t roast me correctly though. You do know it likely isn’t a success in reality unless it hits that right? Are you unaware of Pixar budgets? 

I believe the roast you’re looking for has to do with me saying WOM is nothing special. Yeah, obviously it’s having some fantastic WOM at this point (though yet again it’s not just coincidental with holds and how there were literally no other family options after Elemental this summer). Such an odd summer for stacking adult skewed blockbusters. 

Barbie: 188

Oppenheimer: 55

Think Barbie would be breaking 200 if it had the spotlight all to itself, maybe it still will. Not even gonna attempt predicting the rest, let’s see if they even have any room to breathe from Barben. 

Edited by MovieMan89

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, everyone seems to be really high.

Listen, it’s the weekend, and legal in a lot of states now …

high cannabis GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

If Elemental had been priced similarly to Puss 2, it would definitely be looking like a success story. As of now, the holds are extremely impressive, but on a $200m production cost and assuming ~$100m in promos and advertising, it still has quite a way to go before reaching profitability. It has certainly done better than expected after the lackluster opening weekend, but I wouldn't yet be calling it an unqualified all-around hit by most means. That being said, I'm sure Disney is at least happy that some of its audiences are turning back around to seeing Pixar content in theaters, and it'll probably give them plenty of merchandising and ancillary revenue opportunities.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, elothar said:

Vanessa Kirby is playing Josephine and is 13 years younger than Joaquin Phoenix, who looks an old 48 (I say this as a Phoenix fan). That Napoleon was younger than Josephine is significant to their personal and political dynamic. There's just no way Kirby looks like the more "world weary" of the two. She's age appropriate in her 30s, but Napoleon is supposed to be a 20-something when they meet and marry. Phoenix can't pass for someone in his 30s let alone 20s. I'm trying to figure out how the movie will handle the concerns around his marriage to an "older woman" along with their struggle for an heir - I suppose they'll sidestep the age issue and make it "oh she can't conceive". 

As much as I love Phoenix, I think he's too old for the part. That Scott originally had Jodie Comer as Josephine (who's 18 years younger than Phoenix!) is ridiculous. Normally, I'd let the age casting go, but in this instance, Napoleon and Josephine's ages really matter to the story and their characters.

Still, curious to see what Scott does.   

• Like 5

Does Barbie really seem like it's going to be opening to 150+ ? I assumed it would be going 100-120 at the high end.

Also respect to transformers for not completely collapsing after its second weekend like all these other bombs this year. It's actually done pretty well since all things considered

• Like 1