CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

58 minutes ago, Gopher said:

ELEMENTAL is one of the few productions this summer COVID didn't really inflate the budget for. I would gauge the reason that every Pixar movie is reported to cost 175-200 mil is that's what it takes to keep the lights on there. The original contract Steve Jobs drew with Iger for Pixar had a loooot of indefinite provisions for certain resources and autonomy. There's a reason one of Iger's first announcements wasn't "Pixar movies will now cost ___ much  less" but "Toy Story 5 is now happening," because the benefit of operating costs being so high at Pixar is that it costs basically the same for them to make an original film as a sequel.

Animated productions could pretty much continue as normal during COVID because everyone could work from home to complete those. I do think Pixar essentially lives or dies by those big budgets, they can't just reduce them on a whim. Maybe if Elemental had actually flopped it might've gotten Disney financials talking about cutting back resources, but as long as they continue to produce results, there's no real reason to pull back.

Why is Tom Cruise not considered a huge box office star by so many on this forum and on r/boxoffice. I am from Bangladesh and I always believed that Cruise was one of the biggest stars in the world but there were folks on r/boxoffice who called me delusional and listed out the flops that Cruise has given in the last 20 years. They even consider films like Vanilla Sky, Days of Thunder and Minority Reports as flops, which I always considered "HIT" films. Is it true that he is not a huge star as the media treats him and he is on a similar level of stardom as someone like a Vin Diesel and Chris Evans

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Souther said:

Why is Tom Cruise not considered a huge box office star by so many on this forum and on r/boxoffice. I am from Bangladesh and I always believed that Cruise was one of the biggest stars in the world but there were folks on r/boxoffice who called me delusional and listed out the flops that Cruise has given in the last 20 years. They even consider films like Vanilla Sky, Days of Thunder and Minority Reports as flops, which I always considered "HIT" films. Is it true that he is not a huge star as the media treats him and he is on a similar level of stardom as someone like a Vin Diesel and Chris Evans

Some of it is probably due to his public image remaining “controversial” ever since all his craziness in the 00s. Some still have a hard time saying they “like” Tom Cruise, even going to see all these Mission movies and TGM… 

And then you could also argue he has in fact not been a big star outside of those movies for the better part of 20 years. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, Souther said:

Your first mistake is to take anything seriously on r/boxoffice. Not sure about this forum . Seems people are pretty fair to him He's way more respected as an actor and filmaker than Vin Diesel and Chris Evans has just decided Post MCU to go the sreaming route for some odd reason. Really disappointing. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I disagree Elemental helps Pixar avoid getting budget slashed. I can absolutely see Iger being irate that the movie had this spectacularly leggy run and still potentially ends up a loser for them because of budget. Easy ammo for him to say “see, quality is irrelevant, the films are too expensive.” Vs if it bombed outright like OW suggested, maybe execs would view it more as a lack of appeal problem than budget one. 

Iger may be an evil jackass but I'm pretty sure he values Pixar as a creative asset a lot more than Chapek did. If the movie had an opening weekend anywhere close to usual Pixar standards and still managed these kinds of legs there'd be no question about whether the budget was justified or not. Any organizational changes as a result should be focused on the marketing department because if there were ever a box office performance indicative of a woefully misjudged campaign this would be it.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Iger may be an evil jackass but I'm pretty sure he values Pixar as a creative asset a lot more than Chapek did. If the movie had an opening weekend anywhere close to usual Pixar standards and still managed these kinds of legs there'd be no question about whether the budget was justified or not. Any organizational changes as a result should be focused on the marketing department because if there were ever a box office performance indicative of a woefully misjudged campaign this would be it.

Iger is many things but evil is not one of them. That term should only be applied to the likes of Ron DeSantis. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Some of it is probably due to his public image remaining “controversial” ever since all his craziness in the 00s. Some still have a hard time saying they “like” Tom Cruise, even going to see all these Mission movies and TGM… 

And then you could also argue he has in fact not been a big star outside of those movies for the better part of 20 years. 

but who has been a big star in original films except Leonardo Dicaprio????

I decided tonight to watch mission Impossible ghost protocol. First of all I don't remember a goddamn thing about this movie LOL I'm about a half an hour in and the opening started with the prison break which I had no recollection of and now they're in the Kremlin using some translucent Shield to break in, I don't remember this either.

One thing that sucks is that Ving Rhames is not in this one. I don't know why they kept him out but you can't have a mission impossible movie without Ving rhames.

On the plus side Paula Patton is in it so that's good and according to the cast Jeremy Renner will be in this sometime. So far the opening half hour I'm enjoying this much better than dead reckoning.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Souther said:

but who has been a big star in original films except Leonardo Dicaprio????

ZEL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Souther said:

Dismiss the nonsense. Tom Cruise is the biggest star in the world by far and the only person that comes close is Dwayne Johnson. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Iger may be an evil jackass

🤣 I hope you were saying the same thing back when he returned to his job...

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Iger is many things but evil is not one of them. That term should only be applied to the likes of Ron DeSantis. 

Iger is part of the cabal waiting for people to lose their homes in order the break them. DeSantis being more evil doesn't make Iger not evil.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Iger is part of the cabal waiting for people to lose their homes in order the break them. DeSantis being more evil doesn't make Iger not evil.

Oh brother. Iger's work and decisions have lead to 1000s upon 1000s more people having roofs over their head, or nicer roofs, than previously. Stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Oh brother. Iger's work and decisions have lead to 1000s upon 1000s more people having roofs over their head, or nicer roofs, than previously. Stop.

Didn't he just finish laying off 7,000 people?

• Like 3
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

🤣 I hope you were saying the same thing back when he returned to his job...

He's still not as evil as Chapek but being a CEO means you kind of are by default. He has definitely done a lot of things worthy of that label in the last few months.

Anyway I don't intend to spend pages litigating that label when it wasn't my main point.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Your first mistake is to take anything seriously on r/boxoffice. Not sure about this forum . Seems people are pretty fair to him He's way more respected as an actor and filmaker than Vin Diesel and Chris Evans has just decided Post MCU to go the sreaming route for some odd reason. Really disappointing. 

Was really worried for a minute there that Evans was gonna be a big movie star post-mcu. Crisis averted at least

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Dismiss the nonsense. Tom Cruise is the biggest star in the world by far and the only person that comes close is Dwayne Johnson. 

At some point people are going to realize Chris Pratt's star power is weirdly underrated. His choice to swap places with Chris Pine in terms of on screen persona sucks but he just keeps cranking out hits. Is Pratt's star power narrative a victim of Tomorrow War going to streaming?