kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

34 minutes ago, CJohn said:

MI is fucked. Looking at a 170M DOM total. Embarassing.

MI should have just released the week after Indy so it could have had PLF screens for 2 weeks instead of 1, and also gotten an extra week before Barbenheimer.

Indy flopped so hard it was already down to $27m on its second weekend!

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Again...I am not denying that US is a closely divided country politically but Senate isn't a good indicator to use to assess how closely divided a country is. A Senate term is 6 years and in every election cycle, only 1/3rd of Senate seats are up for election. So how many votes each party won in one Senate cycle doesn't say anything about the country. You mentioned 2022, 2020 where both the parties got roughly same number of votes in Senate but you forgot 2018 where Dems received 52M and GOP received 34M votes. A lot of it is also down to which Senate seats are up for election in which cycle. 

But even by Presidential popular vote in 2020, Biden or simply Liberals won 81.2m versus Trump 74.2m, that is 9% higher than Republican candidates but still hardly an overwhelming advantage. 

My points is that all development in the political landscape in the USA, seem to have formed the foundation for the SoF breakout. The breakout is a surprise but isn't that baseless and without its sign. It is all showing in the election results and I won't be surprised Red States is the one that take the lead and supercharge the number.  Of course people can choose to continue to ignore but no battle can be won without knowing your opponents' strength.      

• Like 3

2 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

People were probably swayed by the A Cinemascores and Posttrack scores.

Which brings me to the point that i was surprised that how it got that good scores, it is clearly inferior to previous few entries.

You watched it? How is it inferior lol. Literally everyone is praising it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Okay but seriously, is PIF a possible path for mid-budget movies to be successful at the theatres again? (provided they are good of course)

I don't think it's a gamechanger but can help. The trouble is that it only works well when the film evokes strong enough emotions for audience to care and act for it. That said, finding new ways to market and to be more creative on that front can and most likely will help mid-budget movies.

If they would integrate and tailor marketing better as an integral part of the production, it can make the change.

Angel Studios raised the $5m marketing budget through equity crowdfunding and incentiviced the 7,000 funders to start the PIF and promote the film different ways plus the 100,000 existing owners of the Studios. Similar models can be used for mid-budget films and are more important than the PIF IMO which can bring an extra 10-25% on top of the BO without it.

• Like 2

Adding that especially equity crowdfunding has been traditionally more restricted in the US than in Europe like needing to be certified (forgot the real term) investor. It might have changed for better in last few years. But that said, models like that if you can create real communities can be powerful marketing engines as well.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

well said! it killed the momentum big time. Splitting in 2 isn't for every franchise. It worked for Potter for obvious reason, Twilight too and Avengers smartly didn't use Part 1 and 2. I think it'll work for Dune cause there's no other way to adapt properly without split. But DR really didn't need Pt 1 attached to the title.

Dune was smart and didn't shout part 1 until you were already in the theater, same as IT

• Like 2

Nice, I see karma is still working, there’s of course more reasons why film is underperforming but I'm positive that in in some part Cruise and McQuarrie are paying for their awful story decison, too bad tho, other than that one aspect  film was pretty great. 

There's more and more articles being wirtten on this topic which represents prime example of one of most toxic tropes which have plagued Hollywood storytelling forever, and McQuarrie certainly is not helping himself with his tone-deaf explanations. 

• Knock It Off 2

@Deep Wang made a bold call on the weekend saying that sound of freedom will only be eclipsed this summer by ATSV, GOTG 3, Barbie and TLM.  It would then finish at number 5 for the summer. It would pass films like Transformers Fast x, MI7 and Indy. I'm thinking one of Indy or dead reckoning will get to 180 and if it does and Sound of freedom passes that, it's got a real chance to make 200M. It's absolutely crazy to think that most of us hadn't even heard of this film 3 weeks ago. And now on a 15 million dollar budget and no marketing, aided by strictly word of mouth it could truly do something absolutely incredible. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Okay but seriously, is PIF a possible path for mid-budget movies to be successful at the theatres again? (provided they are good of course)

I think they'll work best for adult-oriented fare, the kind that draws folks who aren't concerned about the single ticket cost.

I doubt they'll work for animateds and family films.

23 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Nice, I see karma is still working, there’s of course more reasons why film is underperforming but I'm positive that in in some part Cruise and McQuarrie are paying for their awful story decison, too bad tho, other than that one aspect  film was pretty great. 

There's more and more articles being wirtten on this topic which represents prime example of one of most toxic tropes which have plagued Hollywood storytelling forever, and McQuarrie certainly is not helping himself with his tone-deaf explanations. 

What?

So, dollar wise, MI 7 (with Sound of Freedom) are gonna be my 2 big misses so far this summer...I'm gonna be about $100M (or more, if MI can't be pushed to 200M) off both of them before they end their runs...(although SoF, is it a miss if you didn't even see it coming til 3 days out from open or is it a total fail from the get go - probably the latter)...

Too bad I wasn't off the same way for both - that would have been a rocking start to July!

Edited by TwoMisfits