Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Not to get too political but I'm sure you've all seen the campaigns now AGAINST the Barbie movie from the right.  Unfortunately some folks have decided that this needs to be a gender war,  so with that I would not be surprised to see some places like IMDB as an example to have a little lower scores for it.  

2 minutes ago, atleekumar said:

its inline with audience scores from indonesia and korea

Korean ratings are useless, it’s being downvoted by man 

Honestly, the only thing still somewhat reasonable is verified score and even this will probably be slightly manipulated 

For every female movie is the same thing

I wonder how much pink food and drink will be sold this weekend? I imagine if a cinema sells pink gin for example they're going to make a killing. 

I'm not going to see Barbie until next weekend but I'm tempted to buy something related to the film to wear when I go see it with my friend. 

Edited by Jonwo

Maybe Hollywood will learn from all of this that investing in original blockbuster material - be it IP-driven like Barbie or completely original like Oppenheimer - is not only an alternative to the endless franchise cinematic universe model, but actually the more healthy and economically sensible thing to do. Birthing new lucrative franchises is only possible with atleast 1 new original film after all.

Maybe Barbenheimer will be the big bang of a new kind of Hollywood. An inspiration for studios and filmmakers to trust the audience, trust themselves and create an environment were exciting new ideas and projetcs can thrive alongside established brands. Barbenheimer might be the true return of cinema, not only leaving the pandemic effects finally behind, but also reversing the downward trend that already began in the later 2010s. Thanks to Barbie and Oppenheimer, thanks to Gerwig, Nolan and everyone involved in these two productions, cinema may once more prove that it will stay relevant for decades to come.

Spoiler

Who am i kidding, Hollywood will probably just schedule Deadpool 3 and Gladiator 2 on the same weekend and wonder why both underperform.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Maybe Hollywood will learn from all of this that investing in original blockbuster material - be it IP-driven like Barbie or completely original like Oppenheimer - is not only an alternative to the endless franchise cinematic universe model, but actually the more healthy and economically sensible thing to do. Birthing new lucrative franchises is only possible with atleast 1 new original fuilm after all.

Maybe Barbenheimer will be the big bang of a new kind of Hollywood. An inspiration for studios and filmmakers to trust the audience, trust themselves and create an environment were exciting new ideas and projetcs can thrive alongside established brands. Barbenheimer might be the true return of cinema, not only leaving the pandemic effects finally behind, but also reversing the downward trend that already began in the later 2010s. Thanks to Barbie and Oppenheimer, tanks to Gerwig, Nolan and everyone involed in these two productions, cinema may once more prove that it will stay relevant for decades to come.

Hide contents

Who am i kidding, Hollywood will probably just schedule Deadpool 3 and Gladiator 2 on the same weekend and wonder why both underperform.

I doubt we'll see the end of superhero films or blockbusters in general. The big expensive tentpole can still make bank, 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Not to get too political but I'm sure you've all seen the campaigns now AGAINST the Barbie movie from the right.  Unfortunately some folks have decided that this needs to be a gender war,  so with that I would not be surprised to see some places like IMDB as an example to have a little lower scores for it.  

Some are proclaiming it to be the incarnation of the devil and the 2nd coming of the "feminist" revision of GhostBusters. 

Who wins the TikTok/Taylor Swift crowd or the radical anti-woke people? 

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Maybe Hollywood will learn from all of this that investing in original blockbuster material - be it IP-driven like Barbie or completely original like Oppenheimer - is not only an alternative to the endless franchise cinematic universe model, but actually the more healthy and economically sensible thing to do. Birthing new lucrative franchises is only possible with atleast 1 new original fuilm after all.

Maybe Barbenheimer will be the big bang of a new kind of Hollywood. An inspiration for studios and filmmakers to trust the audience, trust themselves and create an environment were exciting new ideas and projetcs can thrive alongside established brands. Barbenheimer might be the true return of cinema, not only leaving the pandemic effects finally behind, but also reversing the downward trend that already began in the later 2010s. Thanks to Barbie and Oppenheimer, tanks to Gerwig, Nolan and everyone involed in these two productions, cinema may once more prove that it will stay relevant for decades to come.

Reveal hidden contents

Meh. One's a ridiculously big IP that's super meme friendly and the other is Christopher Nolan (proven huge name that's done plenty of original huge movies already) atomic bomb movie will an absolutely insane cast. Jordan Peele is a much better example of what you're getting at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

And to think this is all just an appetizer to the Mutant Megham weekend coming in two weeks. Glorious.

Not to mention the highest grossing movie of the summer and the year, which also will be the best reviewd movie of the decade (98 on Metacritic, 100% on RT with a 9,9 average) is still coming in August.

Spoiler

0077050.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Barbie is big "No, thanks" for me. I hope you enjoy it and have a great experience. Just not my cup of tea.

I won 2 free tickets at work and I can use to see any movie. I'm considering watching Mission Impossible. I watched Sound of Freedom last week and that movie was insanely great. Great weekend coming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Dunkirk at Mall of Georgia in IMAX 70mm was also really good.

I don't have the option of going to Pooler Georgia because it's too far away though.

And even they have issues with their IMAX screen too. Like wrinkles on the edges and sometimes they use the wrong aspect ratio.

Yeah, hopefully these are just early showing kinks. I mean, hell, it’s had to have been forever since the last 70mm screening there. With any luck they get it up and running smoothly quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I doubt we'll see the end of superhero films or blockbusters in general. The big expensive tentpole can still make bank, 

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Meh. One's a ridiculously big IP that's super meme friendly and the other is Christopher Nolan (proven huge name that's done plenty of original huge movies already) atomic bomb movie will an absolutely insane cast. Jordan Peele is a much better example of what you're getting at.

I suck at sarcasm it seems.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Maybe Hollywood will learn from all of this that investing in original blockbuster material - be it IP-driven like Barbie or completely original like Oppenheimer - is not only an alternative to the endless franchise cinematic universe model, but actually the more healthy and economically sensible thing to do.

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like we had this discussion with the Top Gun Maverick run and then again with the Super Mario run.  I agree with you by the way, but of course nothing is fool proof.  There's a lot of good original ideas still out there that don't catch on with movie going audiences. 

Do I think comic book/ongoing franchise fatigue has set in?  Not exactly. I do think people are being choosier with respect to which movies they feel they can wait for on streaming however.  I think in a pre-streaming/pre-Covid world some of these movies would have done a lot better but audiences now are just like "meh, skip." 

Barbie is a completely new thing and has captured women preteens all the way to probably mid 40s at an astronomical level and some men are understanding that this is a movie that they will like too.  It's not a "my girlfriend dragged me here" thing at all. 

And for Oppenheimer.  Nolan is one of the handful of directors that has his fanbase and they've done a great job of letting people know that listen,  this was all shot in IMAX,  it's a beautiful LOOKING film and you need to see this on the biggest screen possible. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Maybe Hollywood will learn from all of this that investing in original blockbuster material - be it IP-driven like Barbie or completely original like Oppenheimer - is not only an alternative to the endless franchise cinematic universe model, but actually the more healthy and economically sensible thing to do. Birthing new lucrative franchises is only possible with atleast 1 new original film after all.

Maybe Barbenheimer will be the big bang of a new kind of Hollywood. An inspiration for studios and filmmakers to trust the audience, trust themselves and create an environment were exciting new ideas and projetcs can thrive alongside established brands. Barbenheimer might be the true return of cinema, not only leaving the pandemic effects finally behind, but also reversing the downward trend that already began in the later 2010s. Thanks to Barbie and Oppenheimer, thanks to Gerwig, Nolan and everyone involved in these two productions, cinema may once more prove that it will stay relevant for decades to come.

Hide contents

Your spoiler comment nails it. Hollywood doesn't really learn the right lessons. They tend to copy things in a shallow way and we don't end up with better movies, just lame copycat stuff. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oppenheimer being a Nolan film doesn't discount it from the discussion. What we're looking for is audiences flocking to movies for reasons other than IP franchising. Doesn't matter if that reason is a movie star or a famous director

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Oppenheimer being a Nolan film doesn't discount it from the discussion. What we're looking for is audiences flocking to movies for reasons other than IP franchising. Doesn't matter if that reason is a movie star or a famous director

Still a very risky project for sure. Paul Newman won an Oscar in 1986 for The Color of Money. Just a few years later he was featured in a movie about the Manhattan Project. Despite Newman's popularity as an actor, the movie flopped horribly with a $30 million budget and less than $4 million of total box office. 

• Like 1