Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Just catching up with the thread since last night.   WOW.   Hey so with Oppenheimer,  since "old dudes" haven't exactly shown up yet you would think we're gonna see some really nice legs from this eh? 

They are still stuck with SoF.

Somewhere Tom Cruise is throwing a tantrum, watching all this life threatening action amount to disappointment, in the best case scenario. Seriously, who picked that opening date? MI7 should have opened in 2 weeks..

• Like 3

It'll be kinda interesting to see which sort of lessons studios learn from Barbie's success.

On the other hand, "attach great filmmakers to recognizable IPs" seems like the biggest no-brainer but like... what exactly does that translate to? What can you do to try to chase after that success.

Joseph Kosinki's Hot Wheels? Jordan Peele Barney? Luca Guadanigno's Winnie the Pooh?

I'm trying to brainstorm what'd be the result from this because in truth Barbie is such a specific IP in terms of the mass global and inter-generational appeal it has which accounts for about 90% of the film's success if the success of Super Mario is also anything to go about. 

I guess attaching great filmmakers to the franchises that they've already got going on like CBMs could be one of them too. Maybe a signal that those studios should be aiming higher with those franchises. 

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, him being scum and Nolan being petty created history.

He didn't even meet Greta Gerwig until after he and JJL had divorced.

That makes him "scum" lol.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

He didn't even meet Greta Gerwig until after he and JJL had divorced.

That makes him "scum" lol.

Settle down. Not everything is to be taken seriously. I couldn't care less about any romantic relationships in Hollywood.

Barbie is definitely a game changer, especially if it hits $1 billion. The good is there probably will be more projects greenlit geared towards women. The bad is seeing the studios greenlight stuff that they think is the next 'Barbie' when I don't know if any other IP can replicate this insanity.

Edited by AdrianL

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Incredible incredible number for Barbie. What are we looking at for OD? $65m?

It's summer but looking at sales I imagine that is the magic number. And with how the rest of the weekend is looking (my showing tomorrow evening is completely sold out except for the first row), it's likely not as frontloaded as anticipated either due to the sellouts forcing people to see it later.

8 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Going to be super interesting how Studios respond to the success of Barbie and other films struggling

8 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Damn Hollywood and especially Paramount (what a clown studio), i mean i didnt expect anything else, but that was fast!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 21C said:

It'll be kinda interesting to see which sort of lessons studios learn from Barbie's success.

On the other hand, "attach great filmmakers to recognizable IPs" seems like the biggest no-brainer but like... what exactly does that translate to? What can you do to try to chase after that success.

Joseph Kosinki's Hot Wheels? Jordan Peele Barney? Luca Guadanigno's Winnie the Pooh?

I'm trying to brainstorm what'd be the result from this because in truth Barbie is such a specific IP in terms of the mass global and inter-generational appeal it has which accounts for about 90% of the film's success if the success of Super Mario is also anything to go about. 

I guess attaching great filmmakers to the franchises that they've already got going on like CBMs could be one of them too. Maybe a signal that those studios should be aiming higher with those franchises. 

That's already happened though.   Nolan did Batman movies.  Now Reeves is doing Batman movies.  Coogler did Black Panther.  Phillips did Joker.  Denis did Dune.  

I think whenever you have a great filmmaker who is passionate about the IP and the studios leave them alone,  they usually turn out something great.  

I think the question from 'Barbie' is what super popular IP hasn't been mined yet?   Mario was another one earlier this year.  

• Like 1