Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It was a high opening but I think it's important to note that even at the time it was seen as not great cause of sheer budget Titanic had. Titanic was the most expensive movie ever made at the time (the first movie to cost $200M) and mainly got by due to sheer WOM. Obviously the fact it had that high of an opening in December (or at least high for the time) should have clued people in but the fear of it bombing was very, very real.

And the exact same thing happened with Avatars opening lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It was a high opening but I think it's important to note that even at the time it was seen as not great cause of sheer budget Titanic had. Titanic was the most expensive movie ever made at the time (the first movie to cost $200M) and mainly got by due to sheer WOM. Obviously the fact it had that high of an opening in December (or at least high for the time) should have clued people in but the fear of it bombing was very, very real.

Yeah, similar sentiments were had about Avatar’s opening in 2009. I remember tons of “Avatar opened good, but was it good enough?” type stories on the internet. Basically the same as Titanic. It’s actually pretty fun going on Box Office Guru and watching his week by week journey through Titanic’s run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Can someone confirm if the nudity in Oppenheimer is "worse" than Titanic(PG-13), to warrant a R-rating?   

Pretty legit nudity scenes. Not sure it was needed though. I don't remember very much bad language either, definitely one F-Bomb from Matt Damon. But seems like they could have gone PG-13 on this movie. 

• Like 2

Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie were about to start to shoot the Ocean's prequel (that Is basically a To catch a thief remake). 

If the actors strike ends and they start to shoot in the fall It could still being release next year.

I'm curious of the "Barbie effect" on its box office. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Assuming a 60% Friday jump > 45% Saturday bump > 25% Sunday drop would only lead to $19.5m weekend or 64% drop from OW. Considering the OW was already mostly preview-free unlike other opener, -64% drop is too brutal and cruel. 

• Like 1

I wish I could have seen Oppenheimer on Saturday or Sunday like I once originally planned.

I'm waiting until August 2nd for reasons. I got an IMAX 70mm ticket at the Regal Mall of Georgia and I hope it all goes well! And it looks to be a sellout crowd even at that time, Wednesday afternoon.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why would Chris Rock be punished for that? lol

Jada Pinkett Smith is also part of the Madagascar franchise, though I guess they could record and promote separately. I doubt she'd come back if he was in it, after his post-Slap comedy special.

17 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

PG-13.

And the nudity was such a big deal, that a company offered to physically cut Kate's Winslets out of VHS copies ahead of its (massive) home video release.

It wasn't the same company but a similar one, VidAngel, let people skip objectionable content on streaming. After a lawsuit they ended up splitting their creative side into Angel Studios.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VidAngel

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Can someone confirm if the nudity in Oppenheimer is "worse" than Titanic(PG-13), to warrant a R-rating?   

The Titanic nudity got considered "artistic" because it happens separately from the sex scene, so a PG-13. Oppenheimer earns the R based on MPA standards with the way it was filmed.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

• Founder / Operator

Just saw some super early estimates for Friday but I'm a little skeptical about at least one of them and don't wanna cause commotion if it ends up too high.

...that said, 70+ (with previews) for one of them. 👀

I imagine Deadline will have them up shortly.

• Like 8
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 7

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Assuming a 60% Friday jump > 45% Saturday bump > 25% Sunday drop would only lead to $19.5m weekend or 64% drop from OW. Considering the OW was already mostly preview-free unlike other opener, -64% drop is too brutal and cruel. 

Yeah, this is going to be a rough weekend for Cruise 

Forgive me if this has been posted already, I haven't had a chance to look through the entire thread

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Just saw some super early estimates for Friday but I'm a little skeptical about at least one of them and don't wanna cause commotion if it ends up too high.

...that said, 70+ (with previews) for one of them. 👀

I imagine Deadline will have them up shortly.

70+ is actually Opp, Barbie is too unfathomably high to not be skeptical 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 2