Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Zaslav isn't in charge of WB as a studio, that De Luca and Abdy. He's in charge of the parent company.

Given WB has signed up M.Night, his daughter, Baz Luhrmann and the director of Barbarian to first look deals. I don't think it's out of the question they can get Nolan back in the fold. If it decides to not to be studio exclusive, I could see them trying to get Jordan Peele and Jason Blum from Universal.

M. Night supposedly helped recruit Nolan to Universal, and then M. Night jumped to Warner. It’s like a twist in one of his movies, lol

• Haha 3

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Does Gerwig (and the cast) have a backend deal, do we know?

Nolan and the majors in Oppenheimer are definitely making bank, but curious about Barbie.

Robbie is a producer too so she definitely gonna make a lot of money.

I read she and Gosling both made 15M dollars for this. Probably same cachet even if she's the main cause she's gonna make more money for what I said.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oppenheimer making $75M+ after the struggles for the adult drama in recent years goes to show that type of movie isn't dead yet, it just takes a little something extra exciting to get folks on board with them. Universal must be thrilled that they managed to secure Nolan and will almost certainly bankroll his next movie now.

Extra exciting is not the reason, the actual reason is Chris Nolan who's consistently one of just 3 directors in the entire industry who are a big draw to general audience. You can't emulate this without him.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2

I haven't posted in a long time but Barbie and Oppenheimer's box office are just too good! Two movies doing so well is so fun to see!

Also happy to see Elemental's run!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I read she and Gosling both made 15M dollars for this. Probably same cachet even if she's the main cause she's gonna make more money for what I said.

I think Robbie’s husband is the other producer too. So lots of money to that household lol 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

76?! How do you get a movie with supergirl being a prominent character in it to only have a 24% female audience?! Yikes 

Maybe something to do with the star going on a multistage kidnapping spree. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Margot Robbie is very business savvy, moreso than a lot of her contemporaries. LuckyChap is nearly 10 years old so she set it up before she hit the big time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

WAY TOO EARLY TOP 5

1. BARBIE ($165M)

2. OPPENHEIMER ($80M)

3. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ($21M)

4. SOUND OF FREEDOM ($19M)

5. INDY 5 ($7M)

hmmmm that gets it to 292, Insidious and Elemental should both be just under Indy as well so around 303-4, then you've got all the other random movies..... #2 weekend of all time in reach?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Extra exciting is not the reason, the actual reason is Chris Nolan who's consistently one of just 3 directors in the entire industry who are a big draw to general audience. You can't emulate this without him.

Let’s be clear: Oppenheimer is not a typical “adult drama” 

The draw is as much the PLF/big screen experience, and while a director like Nolan (or Peele) can bring their own cache to the project, it’s not necessary to have them to get the GA interested. If the film has the goods, audiences will show up 

6 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

This. Despite all the "let's get poor, disadvantaged girls out to see the movie so they may be inspired" bullshit, it was just another MCU movie. It hit big cause we were in that MCU era where everything was a sure-fire hit and she was literally the dangling carrot at the end of IW. Now, the question is will there be a drop in interest from some of the casual MCU fans and, if so, will the sequel be held up by women instead? Personally I don't see it, but I don't think its domestic drop is going to be as terrible as some think. I still have it hitting 300 DOM. OS is where I think the POTENTIAL for a drop will be far bigger, even when accounting for circumstances in China and Russia. Still think it does 350 or so OS comfortably, though. I have Fast X as the worldwide target for it.

If they make Barbie 2, it would also face the same fate as The Marvels. This movie is making 170 million+ in OW; Do people think only Democrats are watching it and there is no contribution from anti-woke/conservatives people? Most of anti-woke people don't even know that this movie is about feminism. When those people find out after watching the film that it was too woke for their taste, they will not go for the sequel.

Edited by Willowra

1 minute ago, M37 said:

The draw is as much the PLF/big screen experience, and while a director like Nolan (or Peele) can bring their own cache to the project, it’s not necessary to have them to get the GA interested. If the film has the goods, audiences will show up 

I disagree. The PLF experience is the key here BECAUSE it's Nolan and he's synonymous with IMAX. Pretty much any other director just banking on the PLF gimmick will certainly not be able to deliver audiences the same way.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I agree with this. I don't think we would see a similar number if this were from another director. Nolan is the brand.

Who are the other two directors, btw? Cameron and?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

$165m OW would mean it's the second highest OW for WB. The Top 10 WB's OW now has two entries that aren't Harry Potter or DC. 

Has a chance of breaking the record for WB.

I'm just happy to see Barbie blow up.

A gloriously woke, transgressive, feminist production dominating the box office. It's telling that the highest grossing movies of the summer domestic don't feature traditional white male leads. Just like Across the Spider-Verse, the producers shoved a lot of "woke stuff" into Barbie (again, everyone is focused on Disney while other studios are even getting MORE transgressive with their movies).

To be clear, I don't have anything against white, male leads (Oppenheimer for example is a triumph) but it puts to bed this stupid notion of "wokeness killing cinema".  This part of the world is getting increasingly diverse and folks just have to accept this. The numbers simply don't lie and I'm ready for a Hollywood that isn't afraid to present point of views that were hitherto unpopular before.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 6
  • Heart 2

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

I feel like Paramount is trying to set up Killers like this with the IMAX trailer in front of MI and Opp