Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

She's definitely above Narnia. Also, Narnia and its universe is just so much less interesting than other fantasy series. But I digress...she may actually create something wonderful.

I've not followed the development at all, cause...Netflix. They may decide to stop work on it at any point, so didn't want to get invested. But is it a passion project? Like, Narnia to her is what LOTR was to PJ? She proper loves the material? If so...that may end up translating well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The BARBIE crowd showed up big for OP as well. Beautiful.

That is great. And based on cinemascore they are liking it. If any movie was doomed for a B it would be this. It's too slow and talkie and boring. Not happening. 

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm personally looking forward to see who Greta casts as The White Witch. Good luck surpassing Tilda, whoever gets the part!

Elizabeth Debicki for The White Witch and Benedict Cumberbatch for Aslan.

• Like 1

I want Narnia. She can make a really interesting movie if she also writes it. She kinda remembers me of young Spielberg as career trajectory so it's time for her E.T!.

Agree of course i would like to watch it on a big screen. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, ky02121 said:

I'll be heading to my local here in North London in about half an hour. I couldn't get decent Oppenheimer tickets so Barbie today and Oppie will wait a bit. My Barbie showing is 7.20 pm, Oppenheimer in IMAX is 7.30 pm. They're both jam packed and Barbie has showings half an hour either side. I expect the place to be packed in a way I haven't seen in absolute ages. It really is a great moment in time for exhibitors after a shit summer.

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

It doesn’t help that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is the most interesting and all the other books are pretty meh 

I will stan for a Horse & His Boy

But there's lots of great fantasy.   Like the great Ursula Le Guin.  Earthsea was alas butchered twice but there's The Dispossessed and the seminal Left Hand of Darkness and a host of other great work.

53 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Just an insane start overseas for Barbie. Overseas OW might be close to $190M at this rate

This is super impressive obviously but the fact that it still wouldn't be the biggest global opening of the year is kinda wild. Granted, I wasn't super into Mario or its fandom but the hype didn't seem to be as big to me as Barbie.

PostTrak still high at 93% positive and a 74% definite recommend. 

Oppenheimer's 93% on Posttrak is the highest among summer tentpoles, ahead of other movie with healthy WOM such as GOTG3(91%), Elemental (85%), MI7(90%), only ATSV can match it. However, the 74% definite recommend is strangely low for a movie that received such positive WOM. I almost never see a movie that score >90% on PostTrak and A cinemascore but score below 80 on definite recommend.  

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Oppenheimer's 93% on Posttrak is the highest among summer tentpoles, ahead of other movie with healthy WOM such as GOTG3(91%), Elemental (85%), MI7(90%), only ATSV can match it. However, the 74% definite recommend is strangely low for a movie that received such positive WOM. I almost never see a movie that score >90% on PostTrak and A cinemascore but score below 80 on definite recommend.  

Maybe it’s hard to recommend cause of the runtime and Pughs tits 

• Haha 2

The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe is a classic and some of the most iconic fantasy there is. But I'm definitely at least a little more meh on the rest of the series. When he starts building out the world more it just doesn't quite do it for me the way other fantasy does

15 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It doesn’t help that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is the most interesting and all the other books are pretty meh 

The Magician's Nephew was always my favorite. I loved the dying Charn and the Wood Between the Worlds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

I'll be heading to my local here in North London in about half an hour. I couldn't get decent Oppenheimer tickets so Barbie today and Oppie will wait a bit. My Barbie showing is 7.20 pm, Oppenheimer in IMAX is 7.30 pm. They're both jam packed and Barbie has showings half an hour either side. I expect the place to be packed in a way I haven't seen in absolute ages. It really is a great moment in time for exhibitors after a shit summer.

I would argue this summer hasn't been too bad, 2014 was a lot worse. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe is a classic and some of the most iconic fantasy there is. But I'm definitely at least a little more meh on the rest of the series. When he starts building out the world more it just doesn't quite do it for me the way other fantasy does

The Chronicles of Narnia's biggest issue is that it's simply not as exciting as LOTR or Harry Potter. I love The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and I've seen most adaptations of it but I'm not as enthused by the other books in the series. The Walden Media movies had they continued would have hit a wall by the time they got to the more problematic novels,

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

One question, have the demographics for Barbie movie been revealed?

In short, both Barbie and Oppenheimer has bigger white turnout rate than most of the BO hits this year. 

Females under 25 on CinemaScore (at 26%) give Barbie an A+. PostTrak exits are currently at 89% positive and a 79% recommend, with kids under 12 giving it 87% in the top two and a 75% must- see. Largest demo was 18-24 year olds at 27%. Diversity demos were 42% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, & 17% Asian/other.