Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I would argue this summer hasn't been too bad, 2014 was a lot worse. 

It's terrible in the context of them still recovering from the pandemic, with the summer having some very big misfires. The likes of GOTG3 and ATSV definitely help, but Flash, Indy, the decline of Fast and Furious and the slim pickings over the next month and a half make this weekend not just amazing for us, but crucially important for exhibitors (as it will continue to ripple out over the next couple of weeks as well). Internationally as well, there's been, what - 2 summer movies over 300 million, and that's from early summer in May?

Edited by reddevil19

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think now Netflix is no longer developing Masters of the Universe, Mattel should convince WB to take it on because you not only get He-Man, you also get She-Ra as well. 

If Netflix pulled the plug after sinking 30 million into it, I dunno how fast other studios may want to jump on it. 

4 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Is Margot Robbie now a Box Office draw?

I don't think so.

She's absolutely perfect for the role of Barbie looks-wise which is why the film got so much attention. It's very similar with Emma Watson and Beauty and the Beast. She's not a draw by any stretch of the imagination, but they were both (from a visual standpoint) pitch-perfect castings that generated a great deal of hype.

• Like 4

Barbie pulled 106k admissions in Venezuela in just 2 days. It's going to  surpass the Super Mario Bros opening weekend for sure.

Lots of people in Caracas dressed in pink everywhere (Men included). The Aqua song its being blasted everywhere I go, very loud. They're treating this thing like a freaking World Cup event. I can't escape it. 

Even more surprising is Oppy, because showtimes are very limited and fewer (mostly because of its runtime) and it still managed to sell out 10k in 2 days (That's what Indy 5 made in 5 days).

Cinema is alive again.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

In short, both Barbie and Oppenheimer has bigger white turnout rate than most of the BO hits this year. 

Thank you very much for the answer.

I suspected white people will be high for Barbie and Oppenheimer.

23 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It's terrible in the context of them still recovering from the pandemic, with the summer having some very big misfires. The likes of GOTG3 and ATSV definitely help, but Flash, Indy, the decline of Fast and Furious and the slim pickings over the next month and a half make this weekend not just amazing for us, but crucially important for exhibitors (as it will continue to ripple out over the next couple of weeks as well). Internationally as well, there's been, what - 2 summer movies over 300 million, and that's from early summer in May?

International is difficult to pinpoint because every market is different. I'm sure there have been years in the past where things have just not gone to plan but that's the nature of the business.

Can someone explain this media fixation with the sex scenes in Oppenheimer? They would have made people yawn in the 90s, but now they’re accompanied by so much handwringing.

has the last decade of sexless cinema messed people up?

Edited by Redolent
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, KC7 said:

The Magician's Nephew was always my favorite. I loved the dying Charn and the Wood Between the Worlds.

This is the one I wanna Gerwig do. It's easily my favourite of the novels as well, and while I have a nostalgic attachment to the Narnia books I'll also be the first one to admit that they tend to be up and down in terms of quality. Magician's Nephew hasn't been adapted and I would rather her do one of them/focus on the ones that haven't been touched yet, and this one probably the closest to her sensibilities weirdly anyways.

• Like 1