Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Barbie AND Oppenheimer looking at massive Saturday jumps based on sales around BC.

If these numbers hold domestically, I could see 30-32 Oppenheimer, 60 Barbie.

I dont think Barbie can go that high as its not increasing at all in big TC here in US. But with Canada increasing, it could still bump over 50m saturday for sure. I am hoping for low 50s saturday and 165m OW. 

On 7/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, deniima said:

- Biggest opening weekend for a WB movie ($169M)

- Biggest opening for a female director ($153M) and sole female director ($103M)

- Biggest opening for a #2 opener with the #1 movie also being an opener ($66M from World War Z)

- Biggest July opener maybe ($191M)

- Biggest post-pandemic weekend ($282M)

So which of these are happening?

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's more because Nolan hasn't made an R-rated movie in over 20 years and he has such an image of buttoned up formality, people just didn't think he was the type to throw in sex scenes. He's not Tarantino.

The huge irony here is that Tarantino's movies have featured zero boobs and almost no sex except for a couple fully-clothed throwaway scenes lasting mere seconds as funny gags.  

Okay, so Fonda wasn't 'fully-clothed' as she only wearing a top, but all you see is her butt.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

The huge irony here is that Tarantino's movies have featured zero boobs and almost no sex except for a couple fully-clothed throwaway scenes lasting mere seconds as funny gags.  

Tarantino makes up for that with a ton of swearing and violence.

• Like 1

I subscribe to the pessimistic view that we’re in the twilight years of the cinematic format, but the weird side effect of that is that box office records have increasing weight to them. It really could be a long time before a lot of them are broken again, and in some cases likely never. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Tbf, Paramount has been “in trouble” for forever, yet here they still are. They can especially keep scrapping by if they have a TGM every blue moon. 

ALmost every studio gets into "trouble" from time to time but few go under.

Just now, Hatebox said:

I subscribe to the pessimistic view that we’re in the twilight years of the cinematic format, but the weird side effect of that is that box office records have increasing weight to them. It really could be a long time before a lot of them are broken again, and in some cases if ever. 

Cinemas have always have periods of ups and downs. The early 70s were dominated by adult dramas but then Jaws and Star Wars ignited the spark. 

Interested in the potential spillover gain for Elemental.

There were a few people in line saying Barbie was their second choice because they had to read up on it (and good for them for realizing PG-13 =/= "Everybody, come on down!", but knowing my area, they might be put off by messages of equality.)