Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

people say this but was this really the case? Its grosses were pretty much in line with the other Despicable Me films 

DM3 already had dropped a lot in the US pre-pandemic, jumping back up tp 370m wasn't that expected.

• Like 1

Market highlights for Oppenheimer include the UK where Oppenheimer opened to $4.2M on Friday. That’s 14% higher than Dunkirk, which we thought might have had an edge given its UK-centric story. The start was the 2nd biggest Friday ever for a Nolan film and the biggest opening Friday for a non-superhero Nolan film as well as the 10th biggest Universal opening day of all time.

Fifty-two IMAX and 70mm IMAX screens took 19% share of the Friday total in the UK with top site BFI IMAX’s Friday gross the biggest ever result for that cinema.

In France, Oppenheimer is at a running total of $3.5M through Friday, performing above most Nolan comps. Germany has reached a running total of $2.8M through yesterday; Saudi Arabia is at $2.6M and Mexico has reached a running total of $1.9M. In the latter, this is the biggest Nolan opening in IMAX with performance in the format 15% ahead of Spider-Man: No Way Home and just 13% below Avengers: Infinity War.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

people say this but was this really the case? Its grosses were pretty much in line with the other Despicable Me films 

It’s the highest grossing of the franchise domestically. Prior to it, Minions were on the downturn domestically (DM2 > Minions > DM3). Memes absolutely played a part in the English speaking world at least.

42 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Whats so cool about all of this is that it truly feels like a proper pop culture EVENT. Its not only the Internet talking about this, nearly everyone around me is aware of both movies and the meme. It seems, atleast for one weekend, cinema is at the top of our culture again. 

Seriously … I work with a good number of women, and Barbie in particular has been a hot topic of conversation for like 2 weeks (less so for Oppenheimer though). It’s been really odd given my place here 

Just now, DK000 said:

80m nearly a lock with that

Pretty much, yep. Its early, so the number could still go up, but even if the 26M holds, given the spillover effect from the capacity issues, the Sunday drop will be great for Oppenheimer.

• Like 3

Whoa!!! Barbie is a killing doll and Oppy is blowing up competition! I'm happy for their numbers! 

However, the biggest surprise is still Sound of Freedon. It's obviously beating Mission Impossible domestic, Flash, Indy, Shazam 2, Scream VI, Dungeons and Dragons. That wasn't in my bingo card! XD

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Barbie is a much needed win for WB. Imagine predicting a year ago that Barbie would outgross Flash final DOM after just 2 days. 

It was literally a month ago some of our best and brightest were saying Barbie wouldn't make $100mil total so even back then they would've blown off the suggestion.