Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Nuts when you think about how Suicide Squad's opening is HIGHER than Barbie when you adjust for inflation. I think people forget what a chokehold that movie had on people in summer 2016.

Box office poison Margot Robbie can’t get it right.

Spoiler

/s

Otherwise, agreed.

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Sadly I do know lots of people who would go to the theater more but they can't afford it.  :( The AMC pass is great though. 

Imagine if tickets went back to costing 5$ for an adult. I honestly believe attendance would rise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, budice said:

NASCAR saw a different movie.
Was it the Mojo Dojo Casa House or Low-T Ken?

Well considering that driver is historically known for whining... I'd say Low-T. ( im saying this from having seen his entire run in the top series.)

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Barbie making a relatively little portion of its big opening from PLFs goes to show that they aren't necessary for a movie to do huge numbers when the movie connects. 

Massive screen count is more important. Barbie had the huge screen count to help meet the huge demand. 

Seeing Oppenheimer in IMAX in a few hours (was planning to do the regular 70mm originally after the IMAX 70mm completely sold out for the weekend but was able to secure tickets at another, giant-sized IMAX theater before all the good seats disappeared) and it looks like spillover from the past few days is continuing with how busy it is for it and Barbie still. Sunday gonna be underestimated all around I'm feeling.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Imagine if tickets went back to costing 5$ for an adult. I honestly believe attendance would rise.

I remember AMC had like a cheap movie day a year or so ago and the theater was the most packed I've seen it until like this weekend lol. I think the theaters would love that. But the studios are too greedy.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Will there be any National Cinema day this year? Last year Sep 3rd was a massive success. 

Was thinking the same thing. Seems like an easy, fun thing to do on Labor Day weekend to boost attendance, and even a few movies. But I feel we would have gotten news on that happening by now. Pity.

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I remember AMC had like a cheap movie day a year or so ago and the theater was the most packed I've seen it until like this weekend lol. I think the theaters would love that. But the studios are too greedy.

We had the same here last year, probably the best attended day of the 21st century at our cinemas 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Was thinking the same thing. Seems like an easy, fun thing to do on Labor Day weekend to boost attendance, and even a few movies. But I feel we would have gotten news on that happening by now. Pity.

Didn't it get announced pretty late last year anyway? I think we had maybe a week's notice in the UK

11 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I cannot fathom a 3-hour WWII drama grossing over $80 million in its opening weekend. What the fuuuuck. Over/under Inception domestically?

The opening is pretty hard to believe. But I also have a tough time believing the legs will be strong given the content of the movie. It’s definitely not a “fun” summer movie. That said, it seems to have a pretty good chance to reach $200M. Anything over that is just icing on the cake for Universal. 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Will there be any National Cinema day this year? Last year Sep 3rd was a massive success. 

I doubt it unless it's the weekend before Labor Day since it's a completely dead frame (White Bird is now delayed until further notice) and September is full of sequels that will want to make the most out of their opening weekends.

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I always think the balance for such a day is pricing just right to attract high attendance but not kill the staff in the process. 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I forgot RISE OF THE BEASTS. 😅

1.12M TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS

biggest weekends ever:

Apr 26 - 28, 2019 / 401.99M
Dec 18 - 20, 2015 / 313.08M
Apr 27 - 29, 2018 / 312.34M

Jul 21 - 23, 2023 / 299.592M weekend so far

Apr 26 - 28, 2019 / 401.99M
Dec 18 - 20, 2015 / 313.08M
Apr 27 - 29, 2018 / 312.34M

Jul 21 - 23, 2023 / 302.05M current estimate

50 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Not taking anything away from Gosling and especially Gerwig but Robbie was totally the biggest reason why Barbie succeeded. She is extraordinarily beautiful and has the classic Barbie look down to a T but I won’t even focus on looks… there are plenty of blonde hair/ blue eyes actresses out there. But this character in the hands of a less capable actress would end up looking like a caricature. Robbie delivered a fantastic performance that connected with the target audience. Even in the 2 minutes trailers she was sincere and charming and confident. 

Like I love Anne Hathaway to death but her Barbie would not click the same way. I won’t even talk about the Amy Schumer version… 

I think it was a combination of the movie being based on an extremely well known IP, the movie looking good and bright in trailers and getting good reviews, and the perfect marketing storm. But yes, Robbie was perfectly cast. Who would have thought that casting an actress that can actually pull off looking like the classic character would work? Hollywood might be onto something. . Then again, you cannot just discount the string of flops and disappointments that Robbie has been involved with, including Birds of Prey. What she has going for her is that she gets opportunity after opportunity without seemingly drawing a backlash and eventually something clicked at the box office.  

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Box office poison Margot Robbie can’t get it right.

Reveal hidden contents

Otherwise, agreed.

My first introduction to Margot Robbie was on the ABC flop series Pan Am. ABC spent $10 million on the pilot which was a lot of money at the time. Kinda crazy following her career since then tbh. I feel like I've followed her since she came to Hollywood from the start.

Just now, Water Bottle said:

My first introduction to Margot Robbie was on the ABC flop series Pan Am. ABC spent $10 million on the pilot which was a lot of money at the time. Kinda crazy following her career since then tbh. I feel like I've followed her since she came to Hollywood from the start.

I knew of Margot Robbie because she was in Neighbours, an Australian soap and a lot of big names have come from that show such as Guy Pearce and Kylie Minogue. Home & Away the other Australian soap was were Chris Hemsworth got his start. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Haha some of us remember her from her Neighbours days 

She was a standout, even then (and in a particularly poor era for the soap)

• Like 1