Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, 21C said:

The sense I got from the reception of the first Dune is that the general audience wasn't mega enthusiastic about it so I'd be shocked to see it go over 100 million.

There is a near zero percent chance of Dune opening to 100+, I can’t believe that is even a discussion. I still will not be shocked if a huge chunk of the first film’s (already not massive) audience simply says “no” this time around. The Dune movies are the polar opposite of wide, appealing, mainstream blockbuster. We’re just insanely lucky any studio actually gave  the needed money to make them happen, that should be the “win” for that franchise (win for us, not the studio lmao). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 21C said:

The sense I got from the reception of the first Dune is that the general audience wasn't mega enthusiastic about it so I'd be shocked to see it go over 100 million.

It's important to remember that Dune opened to 41mil and only made 108mil dom, 2.6 legs. Not bad but that's where Indy is right now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And the coverage within states isn't even, either, as the nearest Dolby theater to Yours Truly is about 90 miles away by driving distance.

(AMC is heavily concentrated in SoCal and the Bay Area and has next to no presence in the rest of the state)

That sucks man. I prefer it to Imax(digital ones) as well. That said you do not have any AMC theater in Sacramento. I think Cinemark XD is quite good as well. However I have not heard good things about RPX. 

I am considering going to nearby Cinemark to catch Oppenheimer in XD with 70mm projection if I cannot get a good ticket over a weekend at Metreon. 

IMO Dune 2 will be massive. The first one did ok during the height of the pandemic proving there's appetite for a dune movie. In the meantime, people have discovered it on streaming. I think the second one will explode like Spidervers 2 did. I expect at least 300M domestic

Edited by Maggie

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

IMO Dune 2 will be massive. The first one did ok during the height of the pandemic proving there's appetite for a dune movie. In the meantime, people have discovered it on streaming. I think the second one will explode like Spidervers 2 did. I expect at least 300M domestic

Most of the people I've seen that discovered it on streaming weren't super into it though, that's the problem. It won't have a Spiderverse effect if it didn't captivate them once they caught up to it later. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

As much as i would like it to happen, there is zero chance of 300mil for Dune 2.

Hell i very much doubt it hits 200mil.

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think Cinemark XD is quite good as well.

I think it depends where.

My cinemark has two XD theaters. One of them was built with the intention of being an XD theater. It’s bigger but I’d say still smaller than Liemax.

The second was was them repurposing their second biggest auditorium and adding a few speakers. The projector is also pretty bad as the image flickers a lot.

In my fairly active movies channel on my work Slack, literally the most “nerdy” sci-fi geek stereotype dude you could imagine posted about Dune 2 as his most anticipated of the year several months ago, and it was literally crickets from everyone there except me 

• Disbelief 1

Why are people even bringing up 100 million for Dune1 as if it wasn't a total very much hindered by pandemic and day and date but then completely neglect to mention that it made 300M overseas?

"Casuals" not getting dune in the same way y'all were convinced they were gonna dislike Oppenheimer I guess. Dune2 won't be gigantic but I think 500-600M ww could perfectly happen.

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Why are people even bringing up 100 million for Dune1 as if it wasn't a total very much hindered by pandemic and day and date but then completely neglect to mention that it made 300M overseas?

Yeah this. People want to forget the pandemic but they shouldn't when it comes to numbers.

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That sucks man. I prefer it to Imax(digital ones) as well. That said you do not have any AMC theater in Sacramento. I think Cinemark XD is quite good as well. However I have not heard good things about RPX. 

I am considering going to nearby Cinemark to catch Oppenheimer in XD with 70mm projection if I cannot get a good ticket over a weekend at Metreon. 

I might try to see Oppie in AMC Dolby Cinema. I've never been to any movie in Dolby Cinema, but everyone raves about it. Might have to try it with Oppie. Dolby Cinema being known for amazing black levels, it seems like that would be great with this movie because of the black and white footage. 

So far I went to Regal RPX on Friday morning. It's a brand new theater, so I think it's probably one of the best RPX screens in the country. I suspect it was 4K Laser projection. Looked amazing, plus it was a very good size screen. Audio was very good and clear, no trouble with dialogue. 

My next show is Tuesday at a Cinemark XD that I've never been to. This one has recliners, so that will be interesting. The price is very good at $9 for Discount Tuesday compared to normal price of $14 on other days. Hopefully the screen size, projection, and sound are similar quality to what I experienced with RPX the other day. That was a top notch presentation. 

There's also a big LieMAX auditorium that I might try on the 2nd Tuesday of the movie's run (August 1st). Discounted price of $16 on Tuesday compared to normal price of $26 on other days. This is a very good LieMAX screen at 71 feet wide and 45 feet tall. But it's a good distance from me, at least 45 minutes unless traffic is really bad. 

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

"Casuals" not getting dune in the same way y'all were convinced they were gonna dislike Oppenheimer I guess. Dune2 won't be gigantic but I think 500-600M ww could perfectly happen.

Dune will be bigger in Europe and the like cause sci-fi like that tends to do better there anyways. International heavy film.

• Like 1