Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

26 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That both were among the weaker films in their franchises...Star Trek V is easily the worst Star Trek film....did not help.

With Licence To Kill, they tried to turn Bond into a Stallione/Schwartzner  80's action hero, and it just did not work.

Licence to Kill is awesome. Aged so well. 

I think one outcome of the both Indy 5 and MI7 underperforming is it will just reinfroce something I think will be happening anyway:Studios are going to take a much closer look at huge budgets. Not so much they will not make a film, but ask "do we have to spend so much at this film?".

The studios have been overspending for along time, and now it is coming home to rooste.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I wonder if this can do for Greta Gerwig what Dark Knight did for Nolan

Greta already leveled up with Little Women but this success is astronomical. I'm really not sure Narnia happens next for her

I know we all hate big franchise movies, reboots, etc, but I’m honestly really looking forward to a Narnia world made by her and I think it could be big, really big. The 2005 movie  one did 755MWWafter all

49 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

MI7 issue was not this weekend. I thought opening week it was just meh. Considering it had a short PLF run, one would think it would have pushed the demand more. Even previews despite opening on a discount tuesday was meh. It sold fewer tickets than Oppenheimer without discount tuesday. And ticket sales are inflated normally on a tuesday. Its "opening day" gross without previews did not even hit double digits in the heart of summer 

Almost make me think that folks are jaded around the franchise. Its good popcorn entertainment but can wait until it hits digital and watch on their big amazing tvs(83" OLED is stunning).

Jaded? .The previous movie is considered one of best action movies of the last decade. Up there with Mad Max Fury Road. We are not talking the DCEU here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dudalb said:

Not that it takes much to get you a wikipedia entry nowdays....

Two of my faves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation

An overview about the pro and cons for toilet paper to hang in front of (over) or behind (under) the roll when it is placed parallel to a wall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes

A list of ... sexually active popes. Pay attention to John XII especially, the master of adultery.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, dudalb said:

I think one outcome of the both Indy 5 and MI7 underperforming is it will just reinfroce something I think will be happening anyway:Studios are going to take a much closer look at huge budgets. Not so much they will not make a film, but ask "do we have to spend so much at this film?".

The studios have been overspending for along time, and now it is coming home to rooste.

Covid drove those budgets up. 

Just now, Arlborn said:

I know we all hate big franchise movies, reboots, etc, but I’m honestly really looking forward to a Narnia world made by her and I think it could be big, really big. The 2005 movie  one did 755MWWafter all

Looks as if the Catholic School Girl in Gerwig is still there......

42 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So which of these are happening?

42 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

- Biggest opening weekend for a WB movie ($169M)

- Biggest opening for a female director ($153M) and sole female director ($103M)

- Biggest opening for a #2 opener with the #1 movie also being an opener ($66M from World War Z)

- Biggest July opener maybe ($191M)

- Biggest post-pandemic weekend ($282M)

I think the bolded ones are happening. Biggest WB opening is 50/50 but I’m going slightly under (164-167).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, there's A LOT of talk about sex, but no real sex or nudity.  Which is fascinating!

We all know giving a woman a foot massage and sticking your tongue in her Holiest of Holies ain’t even the same fucking ballpark.  It’s not even the same fucking league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Covid drove those budgets up. 

Yes, but even before Covid analysts were warning that studios were just plain spending too much money, and it would come around to bite them in the butt someday.

And the permanent loss of customers to streaming just makes itmore certain studios are going to try to hold the line on budgets much more then they have in the past.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Not that it takes much to get you a wikipedia entry nowdays....

I think with Barbenheimer's success and the inevitable poor imitations it will inspire (there's already a Saw Patrol push), the page will stay. Watch Best Picture come down to a Barbenheimer battle in the end, especially if the strikes aren't resolved and the fall Oscar movies falter or get pushed as a result. Oppenheimer for Best Drama and Barbie as Best Musical/Comedy could very easily happen at the Golden Globes.

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

We all know giving a woman a foot massage and sticking your tongue in her Holiest of Holies ain’t even the same fucking ballpark.  It’s not even the same fucking league.

Would it make a difference if it were the feet of Marcellus Wallace' wife?

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

God, sometimes seeing people who don’t follow box office try to report on box office is awful. 

Already seeing tiktoks “Christopher Nolan can’t catch a break, with the biggest bomb of his career. Barbie opened to 70 million in a single day, and Oppenheimer could only manage 10.5”

Tell me about it. I have gotten into debates with Chinese social media where people consider Dunkirk as a bomb without taking into account its subject matter. Basically if you are not James Cameron you are a failure.