Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Was Titanic a PG rated movie? I remember I watched it as a kid and knowing a lot of families watched it despite people knowing about the nudity.

Here in Canada it got slapped with a 14A, but in the states it's PG-13 so families definitely went to see it in spite of all of that.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Huh??? Titanic had an extremely low opening lol. Even Avatar movies OWs were nothing that huge (and still more kid skewing than Barbenheimer I’d expect). 

Titanic’s $28m in 1997 was like the 2nd or 3rd biggest December opening at the time. I think Scream 2 broke the record literally like the week before. $28m doesn’t seem like a lot now but in 1997 it was a very good opening for a film about to take advantage of Christmas season. Would adjust to over $60m today in less than 3000 theaters.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You will not convince me the young turnout for Opp isn’t very much thanks to Barbenheimer. I don’t think the older turnout has much to do with that, but young absolutely. 

It's not about how you got them there (besides it's definitely not ALL barbenheimer). It's about the fact that they were there and gave radiant reviews to the film.

Edited by JustLurking

21 minutes ago, ZackM said:

My recent tracking run of Barbie would put it in the high 40s for true Friday.  We'll see how that changes into the evening.

Sounds about right, which is why $50M TruFri would not be “crushing expectations” as someone claimed 

(Unless that refers to WB’s preposterously low OW expectation of $75M) 

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

Where were these people when D&D came out ? There are lot of good original movies where people barely turnout. Also Barbie is a well known IP and is a vastly popular brand and Nolan is like the most popular director with under 40 crowd. Let's see if people turnout for other good original movies instead of this just 1 weekend. We can't come to any conclusions just based on this single weekend.

Dnd had bad marketing and looked like fantasy gotg; also honestly in retrospect dnd did pretty decent coming off it’s opening and competition compared to so much of the summer blockbusters anyway I’m gonna get fucked tickets 

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You can easily do a consistent reflection on what it means to be a military soldier, tackling toxic masculinity (vs say healthy masculinity) in GI Joe. Whether it would be good or not is a different story. 

I wonder how much of an audience would buy into that sort of thing though. Feminist movies always work because there's very few women who are anti-feminist, so it automatically appeals to essentially every woman (at least the relevant younger demographics). But any movie dealing with "toxic masculinity" in a direct manner will always see a huge group of its target audience reject it immediately and probably make a big deal about it being woke propaganda for months 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

He would have to blame himself. The release date was his choice. And if he was still with WB right now, I think Barbie would be releasing on a different weekend. So those are both his choices, leaving WB and forcing Universal to release it on the same weekend as TDK/Inception/TDKR/Dunkirk. 

I think Barbie would have ended up in May or August if Oppenheimer had been a WB film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Titanic’s $28m in 1997 was like the 2nd or 3rd biggest December opening at the time. I think Scream 2 broke the record literally like the week before. $28m doesn’t seem like a lot now but in 1997 it was a very good opening for a film about to take advantage of Christmas season. Would adjust to over $60m today in less than 3000 theaters.

It was a high opening but I think it's important to note that even at the time it was seen as not great cause of sheer budget Titanic had. Titanic was the most expensive movie ever made at the time (the first movie to cost $200M) and mainly got by due to sheer WOM. Obviously the fact it had that high of an opening in December (or at least high for the time) should have clued people in but the fear of it bombing was very, very real.

• Like 1

Just now, LegionWrex said:

It was a high opening but I think it's important to note that even at the time it was seen as not great cause of sheer budget Titanic had. Titanic was the most expensive movie ever made at the time (the first movie to cost $200M) and mainly got by due to sheer WOM. Obviously the fact it had that high of an opening in December (or at least high for the time) should have clued people in but the fear of it bombing was very, very real.

I think Paramount and Fox were thinking it would be Cleopatra 2.0 but thankfully it turned out to be a leggy monster.

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It does beg the question though: are movies legitimately dying with the youngest gens (primarily alpha)? Two adult skewing blockbusters opening to nearly 300m would have been unthinkable probably until just this very decade. Meanwhile, we can hardly get a family/kid driven movie to open to much of anything now (Minions doesn’t even count bc teens fueled that one). Makes Mario even more impressive honestly. 

Super Mario had nostalgia driving it, just like so many other huge movies recently such as Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Top Gun Maverick, Spidey: NWH, and even Barbie. I would throw some of the Avenger movies in there too, since people had waited decades for those movies to arrive on the big screen. All of these movies have a large audience in their 20's to 40's who have great memories of those franchise brands when they were children. 

7 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

PG-13.

And the nudity was such a big deal, that a company offered to physically cut Kate's Winslets out of VHS copies ahead of its (massive) home video release.

I always wondered why it was considered so scandalous when there's so much worse nudity in other films, but I guess it was just a different time

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

Yeah already in development with J.J Abrams involved. I don't know if It's official as director or only producer 

He's a producer only I think. Would not be shocked if he takes over the director's chair though, they have yet to find a director for it.

• Like 1