Eric Furiosa

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

Barbie is one of the most astonishing breakouts in recent times, imo. A fantastic, but box office poison central duo, underwhelming/vague trailers with flat comedy (at least to me), an acclaimed indie director at the helm who has yet to direct a BO hit, and a horribly broke and mismanaged studio behind it. Yes, the IP has tremendous potential, but the idea that we are looking at a potential all time OW for WB is frankly shocking, even with great reviews.

luke-sky-walker.gif

• Haha 1

Mega-weekend incoming, all thanks to two genuine auteurs, one making a toy commercial by way of Robert Altman's POPEYE, the other making a nuclear testing drama by way of Oliver Stone's JFK (the style part, not the conjecture part).

For one shining moment... we live in a society again. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

Pretty wild somebody think that Lady Bird and Little Women aren't hits. Lady Bird was A24's highest grosser for a time ($49M domestic, $79M worldwide) and Little Women hit $108M domestic and $219M worldwide on a budget of $40M.

She's had nothing but hits!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, superduperm said:

Honestly I’m not even planning on seeing Barbie (seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow night though) but this is still the most pumped I’ve felt going into a box office weekend since Endgame. This weekend just feels like it’s going to be really special, like a super blockbuster weekend similar to Jurassic World + Incredibles 2 in June 2018, but bigger.

I know since the pandemic we’ve had No Way Home beating Infinity War’s OW, TGM’s historic run, Avatar 2, and Mario, but if this weekend crosses $300M, this could be seen as the moment cinema is officially back.

This 100%.. 

I feel the same and heck I don't come online on BOT unless there is fire-works in the box-office and last time I came online was during Avatar 2 airing and before that it was the massive 2019 summer. 

I only show-up for the greater occasions.. Barbie is creating some serious buzz  

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

This is the best and most important Box office weekend of the year.

But i dont want to see any meltdowns here from anyone when Barbie "crashes" to only a 150M OW and Oppenheimer "bombs away" to a 50M OW. Mind you, i dont think that this will happen at all, but these numbers would still be great for both of them, especially Barbie. The fact that were all predicting much higher things for both of them is already proof that this is a true success story for everyone involved.

My actual predictions for the weekend:

Barbie: 205M OW, new July record

Oppenheimer: 85M

And heres also a lot of hopium that Mission Impossible doesnt just totally crash and burn, but that there is something of a spillover effect.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This is the best and most important Box office weekend of the year.

But i dont want to see any meltdowns here from anyone when Barbie "crashes" to only a 150M OW and Oppenheimer "bombs away" to a 50M OW. Mind you, i dont think that this will happen at all, but these numbers would still be great for both of them, especially Barbie. The fact that were all predicting much higher things for both of them is already proof that this is a true success story for everyone involved.

And heres also a lot of hopium that Mission Impossible doesnt just totally crash and burn, but that there is something of a spillover effect.

The week after is gonna be rough for Mission Impossible. For this coming weekend, it still has screen count protection from the 2 week rule that seems to be in place for every new movie. When that 2 week period is done, a lot of MI7 screens might get moved over to Barbie & Oppenheimer. 

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

These numbers are massive and above ''the Lion King live action'' I would say around 180 million USD OW + 175 million international opening = 355 million USD worldwide OW 

Edited by Geo1500

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The week after is gonna be rough for Mission Impossible. For this coming weekend, it still has screen count protection from the 2 week rule that seems to be in place for every new movie. When that 2 week period is done, a lot of MI7 screens might get moved over to Barbie & Oppenheimer. 

The screen count protection won't help it too much because of the loss of IMAX and PLF. Barbie being projected to be huge caused a lot of PLFs to be allocated to it by removing MI. The loss of higher seating and higher pricing is definitely going to hurt it a lot. It turned out to be bad release date by Paramount in the end because no one saw Barbenheimer coming.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

The screen count protection won't help it too much because of the loss of IMAX and PLF. Barbie being projected to be huge caused a lot of PLFs to be allocated to it by removing MI. The loss of higher seating and higher pricing is definitely going to hurt it a lot. It turned out to be bad release date by Paramount in the end because no one saw Barbenheimer coming.

Cruise isnt gonna be happy with Paramount.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It still has some PLF with ScreenX and 4DX. Some theaters in my area even have more showtimes for MI7 than Oppenheimer. I don't think that will be the case for the July 28th weekend. 

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What if I said this is what “let’s still promote the movie, but I won’t go picket” Cruise deserves?

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 3

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Agree with this, I also think it's going to be tougher to get spillover effect when the big event is two separate films rather than just one, that's already plenty of money to spend on just the openers. But would certainly be nice to have MI hold well this weekend too.

Really just turned out to be pretty much the worst date possible for MI, I assume they figured they could have forced the duo or atleast Oppenheimer to move and if they couldn't, worst case scenario losing IMAX quickly was still worth the summer weekdays...can't imagine the looks around the office when they started to realise how big this weekend was getting.