Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

So I didn’t know this til checking how the showtimes for Barbie and Oppenheimer are doing here on fandango(near sell outs!) but apparently we have Spanish dub showings for Barbie here. Has this always been a thing and I just never noticed? I live in Nc btw.

Yes, at least over last ~10 years, usually for big films or medium sized ones that will draw in a larger than average Hispanic audience. Obviously market dependent, but even then it’s hit or miss, depending on studio 

Frankly, the industry should do whatever it can to cater to what is becoming the most reliable demo domestically, particularly post-pandemic 

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'll be more conservative and peg a $125M opening for Barbie and a $60M launch for Oppenheimer. Early international word of mouth for the former is pointing to it being a diet Batman v Superman and thus having polarizing word of mouth, while the latter is suffering from capacity issues according to recent updates in the tracking thread.

These are still insane numbers for both, especially taking into account the kind of movies they are. The former is a meme movie akin to Detective Pikachu, a movie which didn't even reach half a billion. I thought it'd be lucky to open to $50M domestically last year, but evidently we now have TikTok which made these shitpost movies viable. The latter is a gritty, dour 3-hour R-rated biographical drama. It'd normally be lucky to make that $60M number worldwide by the end of its run, but the combination of a big name director and Barbie spillover is seemingly transforming it into a legititimate hit.

You'll probably disagree with my predictions and think both will make even more, but there's one thing I think we will agree on: no movie will come anywhere close to Barbie's opening until Joker 2 next year. Deadpool 3 isn't making it to next year. It just isn't. And I don't think I need to tell you why.

Id argue that Oppenheimer would have grossed 300M+ Worldwide in any scenario - Barbenheimer hype or not. It is a Christopher Nolan movie. That name alone ensures that enough people will come to make it a hit. Nolan is one of the very very few directors that are basically a brand onto itself. The genre of the movie doesnt really matter that much.

I mean would Dunkirk have made over 500M worldwide if it was directed by anyone else? I dont think so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'll be more conservative and peg a $125M opening for Barbie and a $60M launch for Oppenheimer. Early international word of mouth for the former is pointing to it being a diet Batman v Superman and thus having polarizing word of mouth, while the latter is suffering from capacity issues according to recent updates in the tracking thread.

I would argue WOM is good even though I'm expecting a B+ Cinemascore (and they can still do well, look at Bridesmaids which was also a well-reviewed comedy targeted at women that received a B+). Barbie's presales also indicate it's not frontloaded like most DC movies are. English speaking countries will like it more than non-English speaking countries due it to being dialect and humour heavy, on top of its themes being more appealing to a Western audience. Most Australians I've talked to liked it. 

Oppenheimer suffering capacity issues is also gonna lead to a good IM by playing well through the weekend (especially Sunday) and I don't see it doing less than 8M previews. 

Edited by Fanboy

21 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Oppenheimer suffering capacity issues is also gonna lead to a good IM by playing well through the weekend (especially Sunday) and I don't see it doing less than 8M previews. 

Not going to be shocked if Oppy’s preview comes in under $8M, but think that’s more a reflection of limited capacity + poor showtimes + PLF draw + run time just pushing business to weekend (and beyond), and it will make it back on the IM & legs 

So, to give this thread pages, here's the movies I've watched for the 1st time in theater so far in 2023...

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (yes, it's 2022, but I watched it this year)

Plane

Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Dungeons and Dragons

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse

Sound of Freedom

Mission Impossible 7 Part 1

Mummies (kid summer movie series)

Paws of Fury (kid summer movie series)

So, through mid-July, I've got 10 movies watched in theater (and more on streaming).  I also have tickets already to 2 more movies - TMNT and Lyle, Lyle Crocodile (kid summer movie series). 

I admit, my phone, online deals, and my Cinemark sub have taken my (at most) once a month habit and slightly elevated it.  I mean, this month, I've done 4 movies already in theater...

• Like 3

I'm looking at some Saturday afternoon shows for Barbie. You know how someone said Encanto benefitted from spillover from No Way Home because of sell out crowds?

That's definitely going to happen for Elemental and Barbie lol.

6 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Why can't that be me? :(

Not sure if you're talking about the meme or the actual scene from Challengers but same tbh. I wouldn't mind being any of them but I'll swap Zendaya's place in a heartbeat lmao. 

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, to give this thread pages, here's the movies I've watched for the 1st time in theater so far in 2023...

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (yes, it's 2022, but I watched it this year)

Plane

Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Dungeons and Dragons

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse

Sound of Freedom

Mission Impossible 7 Part 1

Mummies (kid summer movie series)

Paws of Fury (kid summer movie series)

So, through mid-July, I've got 10 movies watched in theater (and more on streaming).  I also have tickets already to 2 more movies - TMNT and Lyle, Lyle Crocodile (kid summer movie series). 

I admit, my phone, online deals, and my Cinemark sub have taken my (at most) once a month habit and slightly elevated it.  I mean, this month, I've done 4 movies already in theater...

Hmm..this year so far I’ve seen in theaters:

Megan

antman and the wasp:shitamania

Scream 6

Super Mario Bros

Evil Dead Rise

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

The Little Mermaid

The Boogeyman

Across the Spiderverse

The Blackening

Insidious: the red door

and I saw creed 3 on streaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

These are still insane numbers for both, especially taking into account the kind of movies they are. The former is a meme movie akin to Detective Pikachu, a movie which didn't even reach half a billion. I thought it'd be lucky to open to $50M domestically last year, but evidently we now have TikTok which made these shitpost movies viable. The latter is a gritty, dour 3-hour R-rated biographical drama. It'd normally be lucky to make that $60M number worldwide by the end of its run, but the combination of a big name director and Barbie spillover is seemingly transforming it into a legititimate hit.

You'll probably disagree with my predictions and think both will make even more, but there's one thing I think we will agree on: no movie will come anywhere close to Barbie's opening until Joker 2 next year. Deadpool 3 isn't making it to next year. It just isn't. And I don't think I need to tell you why.

POV:

It’s early morning, this insanity is the first thing you read. Comparing a film with a 88% RT score that’s obviously behaving sort of like Avengers back in 2012, despite playing with people’s expectations and calling it ‘BvS lite’ is one of the most insane shit I’ve ever read on BOT

You just compared a film that opened with this score:

With motherflarking Barbie. 

Look dude, wishful thinking and wall of texts won’t make your wishful thinking happen. Trust me, I would know. This is comically terrible. The end ad stinger is cute, but dumb wishful thinking too. 

I need coffee. 

• Like 3

I over-predicted Avatar 2's OW but I'm confident Barbie will open higher because Barbie has literally opposite conditions working with it. 

1. I put too much stock in A2 being PLF-encouraged. 

2. A2 presales started strong but kinda slowed with presales compared to most other big movies in its last week before OW. 

3. Avatar 2 also opened during a winter storm which heavily affected its box office. 

Edited by Fanboy

Movies in cinemas for me this year

Puss in Boots 2

The Fablemans

Ant-Man 3

John Wick 4

Dungeons and Dragons 

Mario

Suzume

GOTG 3

Fast X

Across the Spider-Verse 

The Flash

Elemental 

Indy 5

MI7

Barbie

Oppenheimer 

Need to check but pretty sure I've already met the total for 2022. Might be a bit of a dry spell though til November for me.

• Like 1