Eric the IF

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

32 minutes ago, Cap said:

What if I said this is what “let’s still promote the movie, but I won’t go picket” Cruise deserves?

I would respectfully disagree. MI7 is an amazing movie which deserves all the money. But even if you dislike Cruise, there is also Hayley Atwell, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, the director, the stunt team, everyone else involved, and they all deserved more.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

My original Barbie prediction was $35-50m lol 

$100m+ is insane in my book. What a weekend this will be.

Only seeing Barbie. But I’m hoping Oppenheimer can do $70m+. 

I remember predicting a 50M OW for Barbie when it was scheduled to open on Mother's Day 2016 when it was just a concept with no stars or directors attached. I felt the brand was big enough that it would get a major Mother's Day boost. We are far far removed from that world and that time but the brand power was supercharged thanks to the marketing and memes.

So I didn’t know this til checking how the showtimes for Barbie and Oppenheimer are doing here on fandango(near sell outs!) but apparently we have Spanish dub showings for Barbie here. Has this always been a thing and I just never noticed? I live in Nc btw.

16 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Why Barbie has 5/10 rating on IMDb? Is this movie also getting review bombed?

I'm not seeing a full audience score on the Barbie page, only a single person's review of 5/10. They said in the review that the movie started great for the first 30 minutes but they weren't happy with the rest of it. That's just one person reviewing it though. There are a bunch of positive reviews in there when you dig through the list of them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm not seeing a full audience score on the Barbie page, only a single person's review of 5/10. They said in the review that the movie started great for the first 30 minutes but they weren't happy with the rest of it. That's just one person reviewing it though. There are a bunch of positive reviews in there when you dig through the list of them. 

Ok thanks for clarification

39 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So I didn’t know this til checking how the showtimes for Barbie and Oppenheimer are doing here on fandango(near sell outs!) but apparently we have Spanish dub showings for Barbie here. Has this always been a thing and I just never noticed? I live in Nc btw.

Depends on where you are. Some places in the Atlanta metro even have Korean dubs.

edit: I see some Spanish dubs and subs for Barbie in some theaters, but I could swear I've seen Korean dubs or subtitles sometimes in the past too.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Why Barbie has 5/10 rating on IMDb? Is this movie also getting review bombed?

Very likely it will be review bombed because it is an anti-man, very woke and ultra feminist movie for many people

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Very likely it will be review bombed because it is an anti-man, very woke and ultra feminist movie for many people

I think being a WB film might give it an exception; if it were a Disney film, it would already have had a rating below 5 on IMDb.

59 minutes ago, CJohn said:

So far, there has been 66 users reviews. Most of the reviews are positive, but the few low really lower the rating.

5 minutes ago, dobrevv said:

in countries where it opened how is reaction to barbie,saw on box office reddit that its meh

South Korea is incredibly divided, on Naver women give it 9.47/10, men give it just 6.03/10. Could be some review bombing but the CGV egg score (requires a ticket to vote) is 87% which is kinda low.

Edited by IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son

7 minutes ago, dobrevv said:

in countries where it opened how is reaction to barbie,saw on box office reddit that its meh

In France it is not that great it only has 3.6/5.0 and this is without counting the 0/5 scores. If counting them, then you get 3.1/5.0.

I'm not seeing a movie this weekend, but I'm seeing my 1st musical theater in a year - Big Fish.  I know almost nothing about it, but I got a deal for practically free tickets ($4 each - I can't discount movie popularity for the weekend made the live theater so cheap), so it was hard to choose a movie over live theater at 1/4 the price.  Here's hoping it's good!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I'll be more conservative and peg a $125M opening for Barbie and a $60M launch for Oppenheimer. Early international word of mouth for the former is pointing to it being a diet Batman v Superman and thus having polarizing word of mouth, while the latter is suffering from capacity issues according to recent updates in the tracking thread.

These are still insane numbers for both, especially taking into account the kind of movies they are. The former is a meme movie akin to Detective Pikachu, a movie which didn't even reach half a billion. I thought it'd be lucky to open to $50M domestically last year, but evidently we now have TikTok which made these shitpost movies viable. The latter is a gritty, dour 3-hour R-rated biographical drama. It'd normally be lucky to make that $60M number worldwide by the end of its run, but the combination of a big name director and Barbie spillover is seemingly transforming it into a legititimate hit.

You'll probably disagree with my predictions and think both will make even more, but there's one thing I think we will agree on: no movie will come anywhere close to Barbie's opening until Joker 2 next year. Deadpool 3 isn't making it to next year. It just isn't. And I don't think I need to tell you why.

• ...wtf 1