upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

4 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney always puts the squeeze on WB films. Next is the Marvel's with Dune

I want to be a fly on Disney wall. This is the second year in a row that they are missing #1 dom (Avatar won OS and WW) and this year they won't be even #2 at any boxoffice (dom, OS, WW) cause of Barbie and Mario (and SV dom). But poetic irony that a movie about a doll from the rival toy company is raking in the kind of money they thought their overly expensive slate (AM3, TLM) would make. So all they can do is be petty.

I'm super happy to see that capacity issues are creating insane holds cause people are watching Barbie on weekdays so that blew up in Disney face. 

Also, there's a lot of concerned salt here of "my movie should have been this big" garden variety. We see you (not you as you but general you). 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I want to be a fly on Disney wall. This is the second year in a row that they are missing #1 dom (Avatar won OS and WW) and this year they won't be even #2 at any boxoffice (dom, OS, WW) cause of Barbie and Mario (and SV dom). But poetic irony that a movie about a doll from the rival toy company is raking in the kind of money they thought their overly expensive slate (AM3, TLM) would make. So all they can do is be petty.

I'm super happy to see that capacity issues are creating insane holds cause people are watching Barbie on weekdays so that blew up in Disney face. 

Also, there's a lot of concerned salt here of "my movie should have been this big" garden variety. We see you (not you as you but general you). 

If you are talking about market share as a distributor, they haven't won a year since 2019. 

If you are talking about having the highest grossing movie, they also haven't had one since 2019.

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Dungeons and Dragons proved that earnest fantasy movies are still a hard sell.

Still the best blockbuster of the year for me, right there with M:I. And yet both of them disappointed at the BO, and that is really disappointing on a personal level.

:whosad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

If you are talking about market share as a distributor, they haven't won a year since 2019. 

If you are talking about having the highest grossing movie, they also haven't had one since 2019.

right forgot NWH is Sony. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vafrow said:

Can anyone identify a July blockbuster in the last 10 years where the second weekend was materially less than 5x the preceding Thursday? Because closest I found was Spiderman Far From Home, where it was 4.97x

Not a blockbuster, but Bad Moms = 4.63x Th/weekend in week 2, albeit vs Suicide Squad (and Rio Olympics), and Crawdads last July at 4.43x.  I mention these tittles because female skewing films tend to have higher weekdays and smaller Friday jumps (flatter daily pattern overall) and wanted to put that into the ether so we don’t have another “disappointing” total on Friday or the weekend in total 

Edited by M37
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Call me a Disney apologist if you like but why is it a problem for them to be "petty?" WB has pulled *a lot* of shenanigans over the years. Haven't people been talking about how they were being petty towards Nolan? What they did with the Batgirl movie still seems very bizarre. I get it that it's a lot more fun to dunk on Disney than WB but all these big studios are ran by the same kind of people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Literally one person wrote was disappointed by Barbie 155m. 162 then in the final.

No One is disappointed by Barbie First 5 days box office, that's for sure lol.

If the usually trackers we follow are saying today LOOKS flat we're gonna be excited by the early prevision they make like for every movie. Cause apparently pre Sales exist from before Barbie the movie, and trackers in this forum too 😄Then if It's 22m It's still gigantic.

We don't need to ready everyday the early previsions are early. We know It. 

I guess that woulda been me lol?? Honestly, I feel pretty darn validated in saying I was a little disappointed with the 155 bc it’s become clear this movie actually wanted to do much more than that. It was definitely a capacity issue. I also think being pretty much the only huge opener since Avatar 1 to not open with a healthy dose of 3D and/or IMAX inflation was something I should’ve accounted for more. Movie was probably beating Last Jedi OW with proper screens and normal 3D/IMAX shares. 

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Disney has, to my knowledge, only won 6 years this century.  

2000, 2003, 2016-2019

2015 with TFA? 2013 with frozen/IM3? 2012 avengers?

or are you talking about market share?

Edited by JustLurking

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

"Go woke go broke" didn't work this time, huh? I'm kinda curious about excuses of certain groups regarding this perfomance, didn't follow discourse.

To protect their fragile egos, a movie stops being "woke" as soon as it becomes successful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

"Go woke go broke" didn't work this time, huh? I'm kinda curious about excuses of certain groups regarding this perfomance.

When you start to call every movie woke nothing is woke anymore. The trend they created like every trend at some point becames stale and predictable. 

Anyway ben shapiro made a new video with a young conservative influencer cause She said She actually liked the movie. So It's like a confrontation video...i didn't watch It but I bet he smelled the movie will be huge so he's trying to make his position looking softer 😅

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess that woulda been me lol?? Honestly, I feel pretty darn validated in saying I was a little disappointed with the 155 bc it’s become clear this movie actually wanted to do much more than that. It was definitely a capacity issue. I also think being pretty much the only huge opener since Avatar 1 to not open with a healthy dose of 3D and/or IMAX inflation was something I should’ve accounted for more. Movie was probably beating Last Jedi OW with proper screens and normal 3D/IMAX shares. 

Just enjoy the stronger legs. Spidey 1 in 2002 was similar. Very restricted on opening weekend (moreso than Barbie) and ended up with some pretty awesome legs by superhero genre standards. I much prefer the huge opening with great legs instead of a maxed out weekend and shitty legs. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Just enjoy the stronger legs. Spidey 1 in 2002 was similar. Very restricted on opening weekend (moreso than Barbie) and ended up with some pretty awesome legs by superhero genre standards. I much prefer the huge opening with great legs instead of a maxed out weekend and shitty legs. 

Spider-Man 1 in 2002 is still the most impressive opening weekend to me. Adjusted for inflation it’s $208m without any IMAX, 3D, or premium at all. It did all this on “only” like 7000 (I think) screens. That adjusts to nearly $30k a screen! I don’t know the exact screen count Endgame had in the states, but I highly doubt it tops Spidey’s per-screen attendance. 

• Like 2