upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

6 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

23.5 and 10.6

can someone tell me why 90m is considered "possible" by reliable sources? I see no way this movie misses 90m short of it seeing no increase from Monday - Friday

after a very very big weekend it's normal to expect a 50-60% drop so they're playing like this. Of course everything says the movie didn't lost the moment and it's somehow even growing up, but it's never easy to predict these kind of things so they're playing safe.  

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Nolan making off with more profit from the summer than Disney at this rate. 

That's not very hard to do this summer, he could find a quarter in the street and have more profit than Disney.😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Disney looking at all their combined profits from Summer 2023:

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

23.5 and 10.6

can someone tell me why 90m is considered "possible" by reliable sources? I see no way this movie misses 90m short of it seeing no increase from Monday - Friday

Yeah $90m looks like the floor to me based on weekday sales and comps. I’m guessing presale data and show counts are telling another story. 

40 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

23.5 and 10.6

Two reasons:

One is that OW demand was limited by capacity, so it’s been spilling over into and inflating weekdays, which can then lower the ratio between those weekdays and upcoming weekend. 

Also, female skewing films tend to have flatter daily pattern, with higher weekdays and softer Fri/Sat jump. I’m pretty sure we’re going to see a sub-5x Th/weekend, which doesn’t lock $90M, but absolutely makes it possible, if not better than 50/50

But I will say this: Barbenheimer 2nd weekend > Mario OW

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Tends to happen when you make reasonably budgeted movies that bring something new to the table and have something interesting to say. Barbenheimer isn't a phenomenon for no reason. A combo of 2 generic movies - remakes, sequels, prequels, sidequels, reboots - would never have this effect. There's a reason why GOTG Vol 3 is by far the most successful Disney this year - it had something interesting to say depite being a sequel.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

after a very very big weekend it's normal to expect a 50-60% drop so they're playing like this. Of course everything says the movie didn't lost the moment and it's somehow even growing up, but it's never easy to predict these kind of things so they're playing safe.  

Agreed. The conservative estimates being thrown around are likely just based on high level assumptions that big movies drop week to week by a large margin.

Even Shawn from BOP acknowledged that his initial range for Barbie this week was done before the weekday numbers rolled in.

For anyone still with lower forecasts, my question would be is what type of holds would they needed to have seen to make a $90M+ weekend possible. Because if these holds aren't it, I'm not sure what they'd actually need.

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

I’m pretty sure we’re going to see a sub-5x Th/weekend, which doesn’t lock $90M, but absolutely makes it possible, if not better than 50/50

It would have to be o/u 4x for that chance to be 50/50, which I think is a much different expectation than sub 5x

Can anyone name the last major release to match its Thursday preview on the first full Thursday? (Without some holiday/school impacts, and MI7 doesn’t count because of Paramount shenanigans). I’m having a difficult time trying to come up with one

Because both Barbie and Oppy have a chance today, at $22.3M and $10.5M respectively 

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

It would have to be o/u 4x for that chance to be 50/50, which I think is a much different expectation than sub 5x

My starting point is 4.5x Thursday fwiw. Like I think it’s going over $90M, just don’t want expectations to get too out in front, given this is such an unusual situation, don’t want people to be “disappointed” if it “only” makes say $88M. Also can’t rule out Barbie becoming the 7th $100M+ 2nd weekend