Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

4 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

What is Star Wars Ep. 1 OW looking like?

I looked at two (non-plf) theaters near me, and for next Friday Phantom Menace has 99 tickets sold while Fall Guy has only 68 tickets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

I looked at two (non-plf) theaters near me, and for next Friday Phantom Menace has 99 tickets sold while Fall Guy has only 68 tickets. 

What is that about people being so down the comfort movie hole they will go see a 25 year old movie that does not even have a great reputation over a current one. Here we go I guess

On 4/22/2024 at 9:55 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

THE FALL GUY

Thursday 

T-10

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.6%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

SELLOUTS

COMPS

T-10

(1.007x) of Civil War $2.92M

Comps average: $2.92M

Still around $3M

FLORIDA 

THE FALL GUY

Thursday 

T-5

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.7%

COMPS

T-5

(0.802x) of Civil War $2.32M

(1.758x) of Challengers $2.81M

Comps average: $2.57M

Finally got Python to cooperate with Fandango. Fell pretty drastically against comp in the past 5ish days

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

THE FALL GUY

Thursday 

T-5

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.7%

COMPS

T-5

(0.802x) of Civil War $2.32M

(1.758x) of Challengers $2.81M

Comps average: $2.57M

Finally got Python to cooperate with Fandango. Fell pretty drastically against comp in the past 5ish days

You don't have Lost City, Jungle Cruise, or Bullet Train Comps like others do?

On 4/22/2024 at 10:16 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Thursday 

T-17

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.8%

SELLOUTS

COMPS

T-17

(0.389x) of Dune 2 $3.62M

(0.783x) of Ghostbusters $3.68M

Comps average: $3.65M

weak growth over the past few days

FLORIDA 

KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Thursday 

T-12

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.9%

COMPS

T-12

(0.360x) of Dune 2 $3.35M

(0.668x) of Ghostbusters $3.13M

(0.644x) of Godzilla and Kong $6.44M

Comps average: $4.31M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Flip said:

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

What is that about people being so down the comfort movie hole they will go see a 25 year old movie that does not even have a great reputation over a current one. Here we go I guess

I would point out that something like The Fall Guy is going to be far more backloaded than something like TPM.  Especially a re-re-release of TPM.

As for "not even have a great reputation"?  Not the thread to get into it, but I will generally point out that the reputation of the prequels in general has trended way up over the last decade-plus.   Not just from any perceived compare/contrast with other material that might have come out, but folks who always loved those movies getting a much louder voice and finally starting to outshout prequel detractors.

I won't try to oversell this as the reputation is the reputation (I personally am... not high... on TPM).  But you'd better believe that there is a very dedicated group of folks out there for whom the prequels are very much their jam.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would point out that something like The Fall Guy is going to be far more backloaded than something like TPM.  Especially a re-re-release of TPM.

As for "not even have a great reputation"?  Not the thread to get into it, but I will generally point out that the reputation of the prequels in general has trended way up over the last decade-plus.   Not just from any perceived compare/contrast with other material that might have come out, but folks who always loved those movies getting a much louder voice and finally starting to outshout prequel detractors.

I won't try to oversell this as the reputation is the reputation (I personally am... not high... on TPM).  But you'd better believe that there is a very dedicated group of folks out there for whom the prequels are very much their jam.

Not only backloaded but also way more walk up friendly.

• Like 1

After seeing how big the Spy X Family presales seemed to be at my theater I'm not gonna read that much into TPM's.

Hopefully Apes is a solid hit, I'm not real sold on the pedigree but I'm at a point where I'd welcome a new nostalgic IP drawing interest. 

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah. To be honest The Phantom Menace has aged fairly well for me out of the prequels. Attack of the Clones not so much. Probably next to last which is Rise Of Skywalker for all the films for me. Revenge of the Sith still like but it has not aged well overall. As for The Fall Guy that's my hope that is just really backloaded and will come alive and have a nice leggy run.

I know I've been ranting about people caring too much about budgets but seems like they did actually keep it relatively modest for Kingdom, so if it did do only slightly worse than War that would still be a decent result. Ofc I think audience word-of-mouth will be the main determining factor for if Disney/Fox moves forward with that creative cohort on the IP.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

After seeing how big the Spy X Family presales seemed to be at my theater I'm not gonna read that much into TPM's.

Hopefully Apes is a solid hit, I'm not real sold on the pedigree but I'm at a point where I'd welcome a new nostalgic IP drawing interest. 

The Caesar trilogy is one of the great trilogies of this century. I hope Kingdom can follow in it's footsteps.

1 minute ago, JimmyB said:

Prequel lovers are very vocal online will be interesting to see if they show up next weekend.

23 tickets sold for The Fall Guy on T-5 seems insanely low.  

Yes I will cop to this maybe being coping but if there is any movie people might be interested in but feel no need to buy tickets for early it's the Fall Guy.  I Still have not bought my tickets and I have been the biggest stan for this movie around here. Going next sunday but may not know for sure how many people are going with until Saturday.It ain't End Game in terms of getting tickets ASAP or something.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Fall Guy MTC1

Early Shows - 12426/92810 273976.76 377 shows

Previews(T-6) - 12113/334752 251550.53 1608 shows

Friday - 11529/596331 228680.03 2822 shows

Update is after 9 days plus. No sign yet of a big breakout. Plus early shows being just day earlier than previews will have some impact on thursday pace until really close to release. 

Fall Guy MTC1

Early Shows - 13138/92957 289517.74 378 shows +712

Previews(T-5) - 12908/333762 267563.82 1604 shows +795

Friday - 12689/597869 251911.87 2834 shows +1160

Meh Pace for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It seems MTC1 tracked was way off for Challengers. @keysersoze123

Actuals $900K vs $373K + $723K = $1096K

Are you sure it is the final number. Seem way off. There could be discount tickets for sure. I am assuming all tickets as adult tickets. Unless TMobile discount actually impacted the gross here. That seems weird as that is not a deal from studio. 

38 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Are you sure it is the final number. Seem way off. There could be discount tickets for sure. I am assuming all tickets as adult tickets. Unless TMobile discount actually impacted the gross here. That seems weird as that is not a deal from studio. 

Wonder if T Mobile could be the reason here. Have you checked Sat sales? Can compare that with actuals.

39 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nope. I generally don't look beyond Friday unless it's a big opener. Probably not until Inside Out 2

Almost a year between two 100M+ openers is crazy. In comparison from The Batman to Ant-Man there were 9.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 2