Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

14 hours ago, misterpepp said:

I've been informed by a close source of mine that the Interstellar IMAX re-release that was planned for this fall has likely been cancelled outside of a very select group of venues. There's some drama going on behind-the-scenes over this that I won't divulge the details of. Let's just say that someone in particular is really upset and leave it at that.

Anyway, tentative ticket sale date for Transformers One is August 27.

Also, AMC will be bringing back The Batman to their Dolby screens on August 28. This will include a sneak peek of The Penguin.

I need the drama. You can trust me

On 8/4/2024 at 9:52 PM, keysersoze123 said:

It ends with us MTC2

Early Shows - 13255/29292 176977.57 266 shows +1637

Previews(T-4) - 29957/167481 380614.49 1561 shows +3591

We are entering final weekdays and it will accelerate for sure. 

@Menor the Destroyer is the one collecting MTC1 data. I  hope he can post it in the morning. I expect it to play even stronger over there. 

That said it does NOT have a chance of winning the weekend. Lack of PLF plus this is fan driven and so will be frontloaded after its OD. That said it will still open very well. 

It ends with us MTC2

Early Shows - 15847/30580 214176.31 279 shows +2592

Previews(T-4) - 33728/210240 428052.48 2009 shows +3771

Weird that unlike MTC1 there was not that much of an acceleration for previews at MTC2. @katnisscinnaplex I am  not convinced MTC2 will change the game that much enough for it to hit 2m early shows. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jeffthehat said:

Indiana

It Ends With Us T-3                                                                                                  

Sales      Seats      Shows   
  1583      11598   88       

TC=26, pulled 12PM EST

Comps

1.13x Ghostbusters FE T-3 = $5.2m

2.10x Furiosa T-3 = $7.4m

5.23x Challengers T-3 = $8.4m

8.33x Bikeriders T-3 = $10.8m

Don't have good comps for this, just throwing some up at the wall 

Indiana

It Ends With Us T-2                                                                                               

Sales      Seats      Shows   
  2176      16146   120       

TC=27, pulled 11AM EST

Comps

1.36x Ghostbusters FE T-2 = $6.3m

5.85x Challengers T-2 = $9.4m

2.77x Furiosa T-2 = $9.7m

9.50x Bikeriders T-2 = $12.0m

Wow, great day here. It's going to finish ahead of Dune 2 in sales. But as Keyser said ATP will be a lot lower

• Like 6

Hopefully National Cinema day is on the last weekend of August, I think there’s no big release, and it could greatly help holdovers by giving it a

boost for two straight weekends since Labor Day is the next weekend

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it would have stayed on Labor Day last year, except that Equalizer was expected to be a big hit, that it made sense to shift it.

There's nothing this year for that weekend, and the weekend before actually has The Crow. It seems like the obvious move is to go back to that day, but maybe keep it on the Sunday.

But they probably should come out with a predictable schedule so studios can plan their schedule around it.

30 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I'm pretty sure it would have stayed on Labor Day last year, except that Equalizer was expected to be a big hit, that it made sense to shift it.

There's nothing this year for that weekend, and the weekend before actually has The Crow. It seems like the obvious move is to go back to that day, but maybe keep it on the Sunday.

But they probably should come out with a predictable schedule so studios can plan their schedule around it.

There is actually quite a bit opening wide on Labour Day. Afraid, Regan, City of Dreams and 1992. Nothing to set the world on fire, but I’m sure those studios don’t want their openers to be all $5 tickets. We will see I guess 🤷

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

There is actually quite a bit opening wide on Labour Day. Afraid, Regan, City of Dreams and 1992. Nothing to set the world on fire, but I’m sure those studios don’t want their openers to be all $5 tickets. We will see I guess 🤷

Perhaps. But, a Sunday placement let's Friday/Saturday burn through some demand and then the discount grabs the casual audience.

All the more reason to make this a predictable thing for studios to plan through though.

It feels like such a haphazardly planned out event.

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

I need the drama. You can trust me

Alright, the individual my guy got this info from is making it public elsewhere, so I'm going to say it's safe for me to share it here too.

The word is that Paramount destroyed all of the original IMAX 70mm prints of Interstellar that were returned to the studio after the original 2014 release, hence why the only currently existing prints are with theaters that have the space to keep a massive print themselves in storage. Chris Nolan didn't approve of this, so now he's furious. He requested that Paramount put up the money to produce new prints, and they refused. So after that spat, it looks like the whole thing may have been called off (again, save for the few that can play it themselves, but it doesn't seem there'll be much "official" about those runs).

Edited by misterpepp
  • Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 5
  • Disbelief 5

Just now, misterpepp said:

Alright, the individual my guy got this info from is making it public elsewhere, so I'm going to say it's safe for me to share it here too.

The word is that Paramount destroyed all of the original 70mm prints of Interstellar that were returned to the studio after the original 2014 release, hence why the only currently existing prints are with theaters that have the space to keep a massive print themselves in storage. Chris Nolan didn't approve of this, so now he's furious. He requested that Paramount put up the money to produce new 70mm prints, and they refused. So after that spat, it looks like the whole thing was called off (again, save for the few that can play it themselves, but it doesn't seem there'll be anything "official" about those runs).

That’s pretty much what I assumed happened.  Stupid Paramount.

10 minutes ago, misterpepp said:

The word is that Paramount destroyed all of the original 70mm prints of Interstellar that were returned to the studio after the original 2014 release, hence why the only currently existing prints are with theaters that have the space to keep a massive print themselves in storage. Chris Nolan didn't approve of this, so now he's furious. He requested that Paramount put up the money to produce new 70mm prints, and they refused. So after that spat, it looks like the whole thing was called off (again, save for the few that can play it themselves, but it doesn't seem there'll be anything "official" about those runs).

Fuck Paramount

How did they get so far planning the release w/ knowing they didn't have the prints? 

Those things are fucking huge - storage for one is a lot.   I'm surprised any theaters kept them for a decade.   Considering the reported $100m Nolan made off the film (more than Paramount) he can pay for new prints himself.   🤷‍♀️

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

NCD (if it's happening again this year) will be either one of the 8/23 or 8/30. Both of those weekends are filled with product that won't make much of a dent (looking forward to Blink Twice but it's likely going to end up in the Bodies Bodies Bodies/Bottoms low-teens range).

22 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

IT ENDS WITH US 

Thursday 

T-3

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

4.8%

*numbers taken as of 7:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-3

(1.267x) of Bad Boys $7.47M

(2.713x) of Fall Guy $6.24M

Comps AVG: $6.86M

25% decrease to account for ATP/PLF: $5.15M

Still looking strong. Would bet this ends up frontloaded so I'm not sure it hits $50M OW

FLORIDA 

IT ENDS WITH US 

Thursday 

T-2

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

5.5%

*numbers taken as of 7:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

*2 sellouts

COMPS

T-2

(1.175x) of Bad Boys $6.93M

(2.945x) of Fall Guy $6.77M

Comps AVG: $6.85M

25% decrease to account for ATP/PLF: $5.14M

Looks like it's converging around $5M true Thursday, so $7M total previews with the $2M EA added in

• Like 4
  • Astonished 4

It Ends With Us

T-2

Wednesday/EA Screenings: 2,200 Seats Sold (From 11 Theaters)

Thursday: 2,862 Seats Sold (From 16 Theaters)

= 5,062 Seats Sold in Total

Taken as of 8:00PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: More and more showtimes keep being added for this one on either day. I don't know how walk-up heavy this film will be, but having a lot of showtimes will certainly help with capacity. We already know that the Colleen Hoover fanbase are showing up for this one, but now these next couple of days will be key in determining if this movie can appeal to people outside of that. 

It'll certainly be frontloaded, but since this is also the kind of movie that wouldn't be pre-sale heavy, I wonder if there is another audience this film could grab with the help of walk-ups alongside the Colleen Hoover fanbase who bought their tickets early. Hopefully this keeps mometum going as we get closer to the weekend.

Regardless, please greenlight more adult dramas based on novels Hollywood! There's clearly an appetite for it. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 4

On 8/4/2024 at 2:35 AM, Ryan C said:

Borderlands

T-5

Thursday: 568 Seats Sold

Taken as of 2:30AM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: We'll see how much this acclerates in the final week, but I'll just say this. If this didn't get a PLF boost, then an opening weekend below $10M would be all but assured. 

I genuinely feel sorry for all the theater owners who wish to keep playing Deadpool and Wolverine on all those PLF screens, but have to make room for a movie that (unless a literal miracle happens) will barely hit or miss out on double digits. 

Borderlands

T-2

Thursday: 853 Seats Sold (50% Increase From Last Time)

Taken as of 8:35PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: More showtimes are being added for this one, but they still aren't moving the needle that much. Again, the PLF footprint this is getting should boost this one to an opening in the double-digits, but that's the only accomplishment that this movie can claim to have if it even happens. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

How did they get so far planning the release w/ knowing they didn't have the prints? 

Those things are fucking huge - storage for one is a lot.   I'm surprised any theaters kept them for a decade.   Considering the reported $100m Nolan made off the film (more than Paramount) he can pay for new prints himself.   🤷‍♀️

I mean he probably could. But who would profit from the rerelease? If Paramount would I just wouldn't do it out of spite because I hold a grudge lol