katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

October 20th my GOTY is released and the real Kraven will please stand up.

kraven-spiderman-2.gif

Do we have a date for Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption remake yet or nah?

There is a strike but if AI nd modelling gets to the point where you can make indishtingable photorealistic actors that look like their comic conterparts more easily that would be, like this kraven with this physicality as the villian of a movie. 

Barbie with $29M takes it to $287M and easily clearing $300M on Saturday.

Oppenheimer with $14M brings it to almost $142M.

Barbie was essentially flat last Saturday from its true Friday while Oppenheimer was up about 10% from its true Friday. I'm guessing both films increase 20% or more on Saturday; but nothing seems certain with these two films.

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm lucky my schedule permits me to watch movies here on the opening day which is mostly a Wednesday. I prefer this because I don't like big crowds that are too noisy. Some even talk loudly about their predictions of what might happen in the next scene. Some even bring BABIES. Insufferable experiences.

Here our opening day is Thursday. And yeah I feel like I get extremely lucky with my screenings, I usually go for premieres so while it’s crowded, it’s formed by people that are there because they really want to see the film, and not just to pass time. Where I do see it can become noisy it’s here at my local hometown and our brick and mortar movie theater, at the bigger cities it’s a lot more chill.

I just checked some screenings for both Barbie and Oppenheimer at the town I travel to watch films, btw. Yeah Barbie is busy as usual but HOLY SHIT at the Oppenheimer IMAX screenings. This is some insane shit. Avengers: Endgame levels of insane for a second weekend, TDKR or any of the previous Nolan’s films I’ve followed before just wouldn’t cut it. I do wonder how strong both can go here in Brazil.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Barbie with $29M takes it to $287M and easily clearing $300M on Saturday.

Oppenheimer with $14M brings it to almost $142M.

Barbie was essentially flat last Saturday from its true Friday while Oppenheimer was up about 10% from its true Friday. I'm guessing both films increase 20% or more on Saturday; but nothing seems certain with these two films.

Tbf Saturday's drop was probably due to capacity limitations, OW Friday being elevated from Barbie's consistent 26-21m weekday figures was probably only due to Opening day rush

Edited by Cheddar Please

17 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Is a remaster probably. Rockstar kinda likes to put everything on their current development project (GTA VI), for example GTA V never got an exclusive PS4 PRO or Xbox One X update, they waited for next gen, Red Dead Redemption 2 neither, although the Pro versions are enough for next gen. 

Could be a simple port to current consoles and that is it.

I think it’s the long rumored RDR remake using the RDRII engine. I’m excited for that. Never played RDR1, only the second one. Great game, but was like my 3rd favorite of 2018: Marvel’s Spidey and Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey were my GOTYs that year. 

2 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I think that's going a bit too far. Lol If those movies are good/well received, they have the potential to be successful and turn a profit. But regardless, the MCU still has the main players (Deadpool, Spider-Man, Blade, X-Men, FF) waiting in the wings. Unless/until they are tainted with bad movies, I don't think the MCU is close to becoming like the DCEU.  

What are MCU movies that have felt like they have less going for them? The only ones that come to mind are GotG1, AM1, and Eternals. But in the case of all, they were riding much more momentum in the franchise than now. 

Barbie with 29 million is like a 38% increase. TDK did 41%. If Barbie basically follows TDK a bit less this weekend even with a conservative predict. Sunday might turn out flatter like last weekend though.

Friday: 29 million

Saturday: 34 million (+18%) TDK did 21%

Sunday: 28 million (-17%) TDK did -16%

91 million-ish would be a 43% drop. 

• Thanks 2

How come it feels like most general audiences don't even remember a Mission Impossible movie came out. They probably could pull it from theaters right now start up marketing again in September  and release it again in October and get some fresh juice out of it because it is cooked in part of the general conversation right now. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What are MCU movies that have felt like they have less going for them? The only ones that come to mind are GotG1, AM1, and Eternals. But in the case of all, they were riding much more momentum in the franchise than now. 

Ant-Man and the Wasp was released between Infinity War and Endgame. It made $622m WW, including China and Russia, with only $216m of that coming from Domestic. For all the people that keep saying that Captain Marvel and Black Panther were only popular thanks to Infinity War and Endgame, it seems like it didn’t help that film that much. 

Wasn’t Ant-Man and the Wasp released when they were riding much more momentum than now? So why this one didn’t make anywhere close to $1B WW too? Maybe because Ant-Man was always the smaller of the MCU franchises, perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I suspect @Eric the Hatbox Ghost isn't a fan of Travis' new album

I like it. I like it a lot. Put it inside my veins.

Also her new gf is cooler:

Edited by ZattMurdock

IMAX needs to step up their game. While searching through information about the film strips, I have already seen three viewings in Canada rescheduled because of different issues with IMAX. This is why we are not getting 15M! (JK)

34 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

There is a strike but if AI nd modelling gets to the point where you can make indishtingable photorealistic actors that look like their comic conterparts more easily that would be, like this kraven with this physicality as the villian of a movie. 

That’s not a future I’d like to live in. Also, reminder that the CGI that we are seeing here is motion captured, meaning, an actor performed this, and if I’m not mistaken, also his likeness.

• Like 2