katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

We haven't had a good PEARL HARBOR or (entire) D-DAY film in decades. Would fucking LOVE to see Nolan take on a project of that scope. 

or THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS could work too, yeah I am cool w/ that

What in Dunkirk or Oppenheimer makes it seem like he would make that type of movie though?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaybox said:

Joker isn’t a Batman movie but it’s literally Batman’s main villain and Batman related. I think negating what Joker did because it wasn’t a Batman solo film… is a bit of a reach. It’s clear as day if Batman is quality with no negative preceding factors it’s a constant Billion dollar movie contender. Nolan doing one more Bale Dark Knight movie probably pushes 1.5 billion. This is also without Batman being connected to a mega game changing movie universe franchise. TLDR- Batman has overseas pull and can probably go higher depending on the movie and who’s involved and the landscape surrounding it.

It obviously still does good OS numbers of course, but not on the level of a juggernaut franchise like it is DOM. It’s one of the bigger DOM share major IPs. 

And yeah, another Nolan Batman would be massive OS, but it would be more bc of Nolan than anything else. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Horror fans are something else.

I don't know how you can stan a series of movies that just get worse, and then do that for multiple franchises.

Because maybe horror fans don't think the movies are shit. Insidious obviously has a certain style to it and they figured out what their fans like. I myself did not particularly care for insidious 5 but the two people that I went to go see it with absolutely loved it. So take that for what it's worth.

33 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Assuming that 30.5 is the correct figure for Sunday, than we should expect anywhere from a 40-47% drop for Barbie, which would result in...

Reveal hidden contents

Barbie weekends so far have been very similar to TDK. Its first Monday was also similar to TDK which dropped over 55% on its second Monday so a sub 50s drop would be something. Lol A good sign of just how good its legs are, certainly. 

TDK, The Prestige, Interstellar are my favorite Nolan films, so if the next one can make me feel like any of those did, I would be happy. 

European elections have seen conservative candidates do quite well in recent elections. Not sure why people are writing off Sound of Freedom there. Why would a similar grassroots campaign not work there given the current political zeitgeist?

52 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I want Nolan to do something that's out of his comfort zone like a satire, a musical or horror.

A few years back, I remember Nolan saying how much he liked La La Land.(probably when Dunkirk was coming out). Would love to see the Nolan bros stanning for a musical.

22 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

What in Dunkirk or Oppenheimer makes it seem like he would make that type of movie though?  

Absolutely nothing IMO. It would be interesting if Nolan completed a World War II trilogy of films in the least expected way ever, like a musical comedy about the USO or a Rosie the Riveter movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I want Nolan to do something that's out of his comfort zone like a satire, a musical or horror.

I want Nolan to direct a sequel to Girls Trip. I'm not sure anything else could be more out of his comfort zone than that.

• Haha 1

I think Papa Nolan's best two movies are Dunkirk and Oppenheimer, so I guess I'm down if he did another WWII movie. It's also way more interesting to me than him doing sci-fi again as I feel those movies are where his shortcomings are most prominent (yes that includes Inception and Interstellar. No that doesn't mean I think those movies are bad :lol:). Though at the end of the day, it'd be cooler if he did something like Prestige or just something outside of the sandboxes he's best known for. I'm sure in the end he'll just go back to sci-fi again, but I guess I can't stop him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It would be interesting if Nolan completed a World War II trilogy of films in the least expected way ever, like a musical comedy about the USO or a Rosie the Riveter movie.

Springtime for Hitler is due for an auteur reboot. 

• Astonished 1

Horror is really thriving isn’t it 

I don’t think Insidious getting ~200M will be the final big surprise here 

WOM for Talk To Me seems absolutely amazing, i think 40-50M DOM is doable and seems like it’ll have a decent release overseas. Long shot, but i can see 100M happening if everything goes right. 

The Nun 2 just like Insidious 5 should be a big surprise, the character is just too strong, i really doubt the bad first movie will stop this from succeed unless it’s trash. I can see 250-300M happening 

And then we have Saw X… it’s a declining franchise but horror can always just rebound. The teaser pulled strong views and excellent reception online, and the rumors is that the movie is actually pretty good … can be a nice comeback for this franchise. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

A few years back, I remember Nolan saying how much he liked La La Land.(probably when Dunkirk was coming out). Would love to see the Nolan bros stanning for a musical.

Nolan would find a musical challenging plus I think for his own sake, he would to hand writing to someone else. 

The only musical that might match his sensibility is Miss Saigon but then he'd have to work with Cameron Mackintosh who by all account is a bigger control freak than he is!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, G Doss said:

European elections have seen conservative candidates do quite well in recent elections. Not sure why people are writing off Sound of Freedom there. Why would a similar grassroots campaign not work there given the current political zeitgeist?

I don't think other countries have a big enough conservative population to sustain a similar run or even care enough about it given it's quite a US centric movie. People point to American Sniper but that had three things going for it, awards buzz, Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaybox said:

Joker isn’t a Batman movie but it’s literally Batman’s main villain and Batman related. I think negating what Joker did because it wasn’t a Batman solo film… is a bit of a reach. It’s clear as day if Batman is quality with no negative preceding factors it’s a constant Billion dollar movie contender. Nolan doing one more Bale Dark Knight movie probably pushes 1.5 billion. This is also without Batman being connected to a mega game changing movie universe franchise. TLDR- Batman has overseas pull and can probably go higher depending on the movie and who’s involved and the landscape surrounding it.

Not exactly. The Batman didn't even cross 800 mln with very solid reception and Batman gave nothing to The Flash or Justice League. Joker is bigger than Batman, he's probably the biggest asset DC has, even trash Joker in very poorly received movie like Ayer's Suicide Squad can significantly increase box office and hype around it.

22 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

I think Papa Nolan's best two movies are Dunkirk and Oppenheimer, so I guess I'm down if he did another WWII movie. It's also way more interesting to me than him doing sci-fi again as I feel those movies are where his shortcomings are most prominent (yes that includes Inception and Interstellar. No that doesn't mean I think those movies are bad :lol:). Though at the end of the day, it'd be cooler if he did something like Prestige or just something outside of the sandboxes he's best known for. I'm sure in the end he'll just go back to sci-fi again, but I guess I can't stop him.

I’d like to see him do a new genre, or maybe a larger scale war movie.

on the topic of his best movie, Oppenheimer might be my new favorite of his but I’m due for a rewatch of his work, and I have to finally see The Prestige and Insomnia.

I can’t see what would appeal to Nolan about Pearl Harbor or D-day

Even Dunkirk, which might be his most thematically straightforward film, had him playing with they different time progressions 

I can’t see him doing another film in the same vein and without that it would lack the metaphysical questions that seem to drive the body of his work

• Like 10