katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

Also, where is this “they had a $150mil marketing budget, of course they could make it a success” I’ve been seeing flying around social for Barbie coming from? Highly doubt it was that much. The vast majority of the marketing was social media based until the product tie-ins in the few weeks leading to the release. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, where is this “they had a $150mil marketing budget, of course they could make it a success” I’ve been seeing flying around social for Barbie coming from? Highly doubt it was that much. The vast majority of the marketing was social media based until the product tie-ins in the few weeks leading to the release. 

pink paint is not free 

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Funny because Haunted Mansion had a $150M budget as well. And that's going to do 10x less than Barbie

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Sorry, I lost in Meaning - but really people don't want War here again. That's what I meant that if People did have Imperalistic goals then Japan would have again risen it's Army once American left. People just want peace here.

Internet Sensation has nothing do here. Japanese People even when it starts - just explain how big world is undergoing on Barbenheimer but narrative got changed once Barbie Officials reponse where discovered - That's said People don't bother what Overseas speak about Barbenheimer but really curious into the intention of Official promotion activity - 

Or else, these could have started weeks earlier -

You are a Japanese so you must very familiar with Anime culture right?

The official always should support the popular fan work.if they don’t do this,their work will lost many popularity which means lost many money,so many popular anime have such an amazing fan work,and Barbenhaimer is the amazing marketing art.

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Sorry, I lost in Meaning - but really people don't want War here again. That's what I meant that if People did have Imperalistic goals then Japan would have again risen it's Army once American left. People just want peace here.

Internet Sensation has nothing do here. Japanese People even when it starts - just explain how big world is undergoing on Barbenheimer but narrative got changed once Barbie Officials reponse where discovered - That's said People don't bother what Overseas speak about Barbenheimer but really curious into the intention of Official promotion activity - 

Or else, these could have started weeks earlier -

Not sure I’m answering your question, but the Barbie social’s team intent is undoubtedly to capitalize on all the memes about Barbenheimer. Which started here because people thought it was funny in an absurd way that two big movies about two such opposite things were being released on the same day. The Internet did its thing from there with the meme factor of it all. It never started here as a “haha, nuclear bombing is so funny” sort of thing at all, and I can almost assure you that’s still not the intent with any of these memes. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Funny because Haunted Mansion had a $150M budget as well. And that's going to do 10x less than Barbie

No but people are claiming the marketing budget alone was $150m in addition to the official film budget of 120-145m. Don’t buy it. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No but people are claiming the marketing budget alone was $150m in addition to the official film budget of 120-145m. Don’t buy it. 

Actually the marketing budget is $999999999999Mil. There's no way it can make a profit. This movie ain't my cup of tea, but some people are being irrational with it. 

Edited by The GOAT

23 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

For a historical perspective, let's be honest that bomb did not need to be dropped. 

Okay the historian in me is unleashed. Side tracked the topic a bit here, but the bomb actually had to be dropped to be believed though. 

Ironically even after the bombings the Japanese Cabinet was still deadlocked and the Emperor had to personally intervene twice just to get them to actually surrender. The Soviet invasion was the final nail on the coffin. Both events were influential on the decision

Japan had been hoping that by negotiating with the Soviets they could have peace without surrendering. The US was aware of all this of course since they already broke the Japanese diplomatic codes awhile back and knew the Japanese weren't considering unconditional surrender.

The first atomic bomb was on August 6th (Hiroshima). It was not until a cabinet meeting on August 9th, which was after the Soviet invasion and the Nagasaki atomic bombing, when surrender was fully on the agenda. The Japanese emperor had to personally intervene and ordered the cabinet into surrendering (since there was a deadlock with the war faction). There was even an attempted military coup on August 14th to seize the recording of the emperor's broadcast of the surrender. 

The Japanese were planning to resist with millions of people and troops in the main islands and the US invasion planners knew it and were scared of the casualties. Invasion of Japan itself could have killed millions. Imagine the casualties of Okinawa and multiply that with all of Japan. That's what was facing US invasion planners and Truman. 

I get that there's an attempt to portray Japan as helpless in the final months of the war (especially pushed by Japanese revisionist right wingers) but the fact was Japan was ready to fight. The US wasn't even sure of it's own manpower requirements. The book Downfall goes into great detail on how the US divisions for the invasion of the main islands weren't even remotely ready or filled. 

Oppenheimer isn't even a pro-war movie either, so some of the the Japanese online only crowd's fuss is just that. Unnecessary. I am curious to see how the movie performs there. If it ever gets a release. 

• Like 9
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

You are a Japanese so you must very familiar with Anime culture right?

The official always should support the popular fan work.if they don’t do this,their work will lost many popularity which means lost many money,so many popular anime have such an amazing fan work,and Barbenhaimer is the amazing marketing art.

No doubt - Official need to support works of Arts helping in Marketing - but as I said People here aren't getting familiar to their activity (making it look Propaganda of appreciating American Bombing ahead of August Anniversary)

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not sure I’m answering your question, but the Barbie social’s team intent is undoubtedly to capitalize on all the memes about Barbenheimer. Which started here because people thought it was funny in an absurd way that two big movies about two such opposite things were being released on the same day. The Internet did its thing from there with the meme factor of it all. It never started here as a “haha, nuclear bombing is so funny” sort of thing at all. 

I understand that Barbie Officials doesn't really want to insult victims of Bombs. That's why some concern users are asking Officials for clarification regarding the same

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Okay the historian in me is unleashed. Side tracked the topic a bit here, but the bomb actually had to be dropped to be believed though. 

Ironically even after the bombings the Japanese Cabinet was still deadlocked and the Emperor had to personally intervene twice just to get them to actually surrender. The Soviet invasion was the final nail on the coffin. Both events were influential on the decision

Japan had been hoping that by negotiating with the Soviets they could have peace without surrendering. The US was aware of all this of course since they already broke the Japanese diplomatic codes awhile back and knew the Japanese weren't considering unconditional surrender.

The first atomic bomb was on August 6th (Hiroshima). It was not until a cabinet meeting on August 9th, which was after the Soviet invasion and the Nagasaki atomic bombing, when surrender was fully on the agenda. The Japanese emperor had to personally intervene and ordered the cabinet into surrendering (since there was a deadlock with the war faction). There was even an attempted military coup on August 14th to seize the recording of the emperor's broadcast of the surrender. 

The Japanese were planning to resist with millions of people and troops in the main islands and the US invasion planners knew it and were scared of the casualties. Invasion of Japan itself could have killed millions. Imagine the casualties of Okinawa and multiply that with all of Japan. That's what was facing US invasion planners and Truman. 

I get that there's an attempt to portray Japan as helpless in the final months of the war (especially pushed by Japanese revisionist right wingers) but the fact was Japan was ready to fight. The US wasn't even sure of it's own manpower requirements. The book Downfall goes into great detail on how the US divisions for the invasion of the main islands weren't even remotely ready or filled. 

Oppenheimer isn't even a pro-war movie either, so some of the the Japanese online only crowd's fuss is just that. Unnecessary. I am curious to see how the movie performs there. If it ever gets a release. 

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/58-politics/

It’s also worth noting that Japanese humor is very different from American humor. Entirely possible that the absurdist comedy of why Barbenheimer became a meme to start with in the west wouldn’t make sense to them, and in such an instance I can maybe see how some would turn to “well I guess they’re making fun of bombing us?” logic. But no, that’s not what’s going on with the Barbenheimer craze. 

Edited by MovieMan89

24 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

On one hand, this conversation is getting out of wack, but on the other hand, we did pass 75 pages :sparta:

204 opening weekend down to probably ~80 second weekend... Barbie+Oppy legs not looking great

• Haha 3

Moderation: Usually any sort of conversations are allowed in the weekend thread (within limit), but it is clear this convo about the actual war and the use of nuclear weapons is not going to lead to anything good. It is already leading to a lot of whataboutism with users already justifying some horrendous acts. One act of mass murder/war crime cannot justify another. So please move on and talk about the box office and movies. Also if you are going to debate what some people said on twitter then it would be preferable to conduct that debate in twitter against those people, not here. 

If users still insist on having a conversation about the war and the use of these weapons, feel free to use the Real World section of the forums to chat about it. 

Lastly we have a dedicated Japanese thread for discussions on Japanese box office, it would be nice for that thread to see some traffic too. Just a suggestion. 

Thanks

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Variety:

The efforts of the extensive and expensive marketing campaign — which rival studio executives estimate to cost $150 million, not including the $145 million production budget — are already paying off.

Marketing budget amounts are even more nebulous than production budget info, but that's an industry source for the $150m number.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Looks like a pretty decent to strong chance for Oppenheimer to go past Dunkirk's $220M inflation-adjusted domestic total by the end of next Sunday. Next target beyond that would be Interstellar's $240M inflation-adjusted domestic total, perhaps a couple weeks down the road.