katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why is Barbieheimer second weekend look more detrimental to holdovers as compared to the OW?

And how can Barbie hold better than Oppy over mid-week but still have better Fri bump?

Oppenheimer's PLF and IMAX numbers might be skewing it's increases and decreases a bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why is Barbieheimer second weekend look more detrimental to holdovers as compared to the OW?

And how can Barbie hold better than Oppy over mid-week but still have better Fri bump?

Runtime for Oppy hurts. People still working on Friday, so afternoon shows probably very similar to regular weekdays. Not enough evening shows to help make up for it. Sounds like the Saturday number for Oppy will be a lot better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Because a lot of these films were protected from losing screens/theaters last week and they're not this week so they're feeling the pain

as for the second, alas, girl power I guess

(but realistically yes it's the runtime, oppy will jump better on sat most likely)

Edited by JustLurking

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's going to look even more foolish if the Sony moves yesterday were the beginning of a chain reaction where every studio starts to push major fall titles to next year (there's a solution to all of this that could be resolved today but you do you, AMPTP).

The Flash: one of the biggest bombs of 2023 but also one of its bigger cinematic trendsetters (since every movie in the foreseeable future will have to be promoted without the actors)? That movie didn't die for nothing after all!

The AMPTP could end this Monday and but nope not happening. Just insane 

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well Elemental's legs seem to be dead now. All due to Disney wanting to switch the Elemental money stream to PVOD in mid August.

I hope the South Korean and Japanese legs are ok.

it's not pvod, it's losing half its showtimes lol

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well Elemental's legs seem to be dead now. All due to Disney wanting to switch the Elemental money stream to PVOD in mid August.

I hope the South Korean and Japanese legs are ok.

Lol we’re still doing this?

• Like 1

(1) Barbie Warner Bros. $29,000,000 +37% -59% 4,337 $6,687 $287,402,851 8
  (2) Oppenheimer Universal $13,400,000 +34% -59% 3,647 $3,674 $141,270,430 8

Honestly, it's astounding to me that Barbie ended up having a better increase than Oppenheimer, despite people saying that Oppy was bound to be more weekend-heavy. I guess it's pretty clear which movie is about to have the better legs...

Edited by Cheddar Please

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Because it wasn’t given the usual space, lack of major releases, on either side of release for this size of opening. So last week studios protected their films, requiring full day schedules, and usually in second weekend we see a rebound effect, but this time around with HM & TTM opening, a lot of shows has to be cut back
The holdovers are going to be anywhere from -20% to +20% on a per show basis … just didn’t retain the show volume to post better holds overall 

4 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Honestly, it's astounding to me that Barbie ended up having a better increase than Oppenheimer, despite people saying that Oppy was bound to be more weekend-heavy. I guess it's pretty clear which movie is about to have the better legs...

Friday is still a workday, which is problematic for a movie with a 3 hour runtime. From what Charlie is saying, it sounds like Oppy is going to have a very strong Saturday. Barbie might not jump as much on Saturday from what he is reporting. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Oppy IS weekend heavy. Its up nearly 40% today while Barbie will be up low to mid teens.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Let’s wait for Saturday numbers - Charlie’s very early estimates has Barbie at -33% from opening Sat, Oppy -28/29%

• Like 1