setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Indy did rebound a tad to have some legs, but it ultimately looks like a 3x multi still won’t happen. With that disastrous OW, it really is pathetic at the end of the day. We simply don’t see audiences reject a massive powerhouse IP in this way, unless maybe it’s a spin off or reboot or something lacking the most important cast, etc. Not the case here. 

I thought for sure Indy or Ethan Hunt want to get a three multiplier and sadly neither of them will.

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

I thought for sure Indy or Ethan Hunt want to get a three multiplier and sadly neither of them will.

They’re both going to be pretty close to 3x OW (Indy maybe gets there?) but both will finish under 2x OWeek ($94 and $91M respectively)

2 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Alan Rickman as Sheriff of Nothingham is the sole reason to watch that movie. "...and call off Christmas!"

No more merciful beheadings.

Rickman should have won an Oscar that year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

They’re both going to be pretty close to 3x OW (Indy maybe gets there?) but both will finish under 2x OWeek ($94 and $91M respectively)

I don't see how Indy gets to 180 and maybe you're right maybe Ethan Hunt gets there but right now I just don't see how

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

My 14 local is dropping Barbie down to 2 screens/12 showings (from 20 showings and 4 screens) and cutting Dolby showings in 1/2, so this weekend, it's gonna hurt.  Next weekend, with Gran Turismo moving off, should let Barbie keep most of its space given this weekend, so the spacing issue should relent.  In interesting news, the PLF is split 4 ways with Barbie, Oppy, TMNT, and Meg 2.

Now, that said, Oppy is finally gaining showings - it had been stuck with 7, but will get 9 this weekend for 3 screens.

For the rest of the set...

TMNT - 2 screens

Meg 2 - 2 screens

Haunted Mansion - 1 screen

MI7 - 1 screen

SoF - 1 screen

Talk to Me - 1 screen

1st Slam Dunk - .5 screen

Foreign film - .5 screen

Indy is the only drop...everything else was already gone last week.

I was wondering how the new openers would affect Barbie/Oppenheimer. A sub 40s drop would have made sense but sounds like that may not be the case. Will be interesting to see how it goes. (Though I won't have the time to be here much this week or any this weekend, I know that saddens some of you. Lol)

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Brie certainly hasn’t been given much to work with with the character so far, so I’m willing to give her another chance if the sequel is addressing this. 

The trailers already make her look more interesting imo. (I didn't care much for trailer 2 but the first trailer I thought was great.) One of the reasons I think this was turned into a team movie, with Kamala/Monica as co-leads, was to make Carol more appealing/likable. She'll have "family drama" with Monica and Kamala as her number 1 fangirl. And to be clear, I never found Carol unlikable but since she'll likely be a big part of the next Avengers movies, I do think they want ensure that she's a fan favorite. 

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

At this very moment, President Biden and his wife are sitting in a DC movie theater watching Oppenheimer. Back in the 1970s, he served in the Senate with some of the very same senators portrayed in the movie.

Wow that is very interesting to think about ... and wow, Biden is indeed very old.

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

At this very moment, President Biden and his wife are sitting in a DC movie theater watching Oppenheimer. Back in the 1970s, he served in the Senate with some of the very same senators portrayed in the movie.

Shit that's very interesting. Would really like his take on how accurate the movie is but he probably won't comment on it LOL

Honestly I'm still surprised by just how low Indy went. The movie wasn't even bad honestly, it was pretty good I thought. So either the marketing was far more terrible then I thought or boomers really did just fully reject being reminded how long it's been since the originals lol.

A year ago I thought if it was terrible itd end up around 300M and if it was great it could go as high as 500M+

Edited by Killimano3

10 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Honestly I'm still surprised by just how low Indy went. The movie wasn't even bad honestly, it was pretty good I thought. So either the marketing was far more terrible then I thought or boomers really did just fully reject being reminded how long it's been since the originals lol.

A year ago I thought if it was terrible itd end up around 300M and if it was great it could go as high as 500M+

I feel like the issue is just that...unless you are actually nostalgic about the series, no one really wants to see a 80 year old led action movie. Though I think 80 year old Tom Cruise might actually attract some people in the future.

6 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I feel like the issue is just that...unless you are actually nostalgic about the series, no one really wants to see a 80 year old led action movie. Though I think 80 year old Tom Cruise might actually attract some people in the future.

I guess a lot of people just assumed it'd be terrible perhaps. The end product was pretty good though honestly. I never really thought “wow this action sucks, he's so old”

12 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Im maybe not the best person to state an opinion on this since i vastly overestimated Indy 5, but in hindsight, the movies marketing, overall look and just the feeling from it was ... tired i feel like. An 80 year old as the lead in an action movie just wasnt that exciting, even if it was Indiana Jones - and nostalgia sequels dont have the same positive connotation attached to them in 2023 like they had back in the mid 2010s.

The early mixed reviews didnt help either and the marketing imo failed to deliver a hook for the movie besides "Its Indiana Jones!". What was the selling point of the story? What is this movie about, what is the reason it exists? Questions that didnt really get answered by the trailers. And then when the movie came out, the actual audience reception wasnt amazing either - and WOM travels faster than ever these days.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Shit that's very interesting. Would really like his take on how accurate the movie is but he probably won't comment on it LOL

He doesn't know how to put two sentences together you really think he remembers anything from decades ago?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Knock It Off 1

Indy 5 just always had that vibe of perfunctory brand extension and just bad timing coming out in the year where audiences are finally kinda over that sort of thing. the movies that are hitting worked for it, the whole hook can't be "that's right... we made another one!"

• Like 2

Indy suffered from bad will generated by Crystal Skull and recent Lucasfilm shows/movies, fans being turned off by the rumors of Phoebe Waller Bridge taking over the franchise, and the negative Cannes reviews spreading a whole month before release. 

• Like 1