setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

The last time a WB movie won the year was in 2014 with AMERICAN SNIPER. If BARBIE wins the year, that'll be a 9-year gap.

Except American Sniper didn't win 2014 because it actually didn't release until 2015 (it released for 1 week in like 4 theaters in 2014) so really WB hasn't won since DH2 in 2011, 12 years ago

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Is there a single person on this forum that predicted overseas would be this crazy? i don't think theres one person that anticipated 1.5 billion happening, holy shit. what a box office monster.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Captain Marvel is a Phase 1 movie that they slotted in right before the finale lol. 

I still like it and have watched it a few times but it’s clearly not up to the standards of everything else they were putting out. 

I definitely don’t blame Brie for her performance either, someone should have read the script and yelled at whoever until they removed amnesia from her backstory lol. 

Captain Marvel is like a pre-cursor to all the bad scripts they would green light in phase 4 and now phase 5. It should've been a warning sign to us that the better days of the MCU were behind us. Now we'll be lucky if they put out one good film every few years instead of the hit after hit they were doing before.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

Captain Marvel is the definition of a film that is perfectly fine on a first viewing in theaters and is enjoyable enough, but you really forget the vast majority of the film by the next day.

It's fast food cinema

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Except American Sniper didn't win 2014 because it actually didn't release until 2015 (it released for 1 week in like 4 theaters in 2014) so really WB hasn't won since DH2 in 2011, 12 years ago

It's still considered a 2014 movie.

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

$15.3M for Barbie would be a 2% increase for $381.7M total. She passes AtSV to claim the summer crown and she will likely pass $400M on Thursday. She is now $193M behind TSMBM.

$7M for Oppenheimer would be a 2% increase for $188.4M total. He's locked in at #5 for the summer for now with $109M more to go to catch TLM. He will pass $200M on Thursday or Friday.

This numbers could led us to 32-37% drops for both this weekend.

• Astonished 4

On the Indiana Jones topic, I do subscribe to the theory that this franchise already used the legacy sequel code with Crystal Skull that also let people down. So DoD didn’t even have the “he’s back!” punch to it, which made the “final adventure for real guys” idea less impactful.

This is probably a hot take, but they probably should have just went the reboot route with a new actor that appealed to a younger audience. Especially after Spielberg stepped down as director.

• Like 3

I finally got to see Barbie and... wow. I can't remember the last time I was so embarrassed during a movie screening and wanted to leave the theater. The issues raised by the film are important and the message is right, but this is such an awkward and not fanny comedy :unsure::ph34r: It's sad that this is the movie that breaks the last TDK and HP7.2 records to become the new WB king. I don't get the hype and I don't get the legs. In a perfect world, M:I-7 crushes it at the box office.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 7
  • ...wtf 9
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 2

16 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

On the Indiana Jones topic, I do subscribe to the theory that this franchise already used the legacy sequel code with Crystal Skull that also let people down. So DoD didn’t even have the “he’s back!” punch to it, which made the “final adventure for real guys” idea less impactful.

This is probably a hot take, but they probably should have just went the reboot route with a new actor that appealed to a younger audience. Especially after Spielberg stepped down as director.

Yes nostalgia effect already used.

Ford too old and without any appeal to under 30.

Right time for a reboot. Now they killed the franchise for probably at least 20 years. Not that i'm sad about it. 5 movies about a characters whatever It Is are a good amount.

17 minutes ago, Juby said:

I finally got to see Barbie and... wow. I can't remember the last time I was so embarrassed during a movie screening and wanted to leave the theater. The issues raised by the film are important and the message is right, but this is such an awkward and not fanny comedy :unsure::ph34r: It's sad that this is the movie that breaks the last TDK and HP7.2 records to become the new WB king. I don't get the hype and I don't get the legs. In a perfect world, M:I-7 is crushes it at the box office.

The movie was 50% SNL sketch, 40% Mattel commercial and 10% a family friendly John Waters movie. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Japanese Twitter is fueling Barbenheimer box office 

We had a petition here. It was like 200 signs few hours back and now already near 8K signs.

#NoBarbenheimer 映画『バービー』と『オッペンハイマー』の配給会社に行動を求めます

VVYvz-JBc-Nt-PFxr-Q-400x225-no-Pad.jpg

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

We had a petition here. It was like 200 signs few hours back and now already near 8K signs.

#NoBarbenheimer 映画『バービー』と『オッペンハイマー』の配給会社に行動を求めます

VVYvz-JBc-Nt-PFxr-Q-400x225-no-Pad.jpg

I thought Oppenheimer wasn’t even releasing in Japan, so why are they demanding anything from the distributors? And what does Barbie have to do with it? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I would say Captain Marvel is the movie with the least cultural impact in the billy club, but Alice in Wonderland is a thing.

I mean Jurassic World Dominion was a thing. I've completely forgotten what the plot was.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I would say Captain Marvel is the movie with the least cultural impact in the billy club, but Alice in Wonderland is a thing.

i don't know, the depp character is kinda famous still now. Also from an industry prospective it opened the way for the live actions invasion. 

I agree about Cap Marvel. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I thought Oppenheimer wasn’t even releasing in Japan, so why are they demanding anything from the distributors? And what does Barbie have to do with it? 

Japan is angry at WB because the official Barbie twitter account engaged with and endorsed some Barbenheimer memes that in their eyes were disrespectful to the victims of Hiroshima/Nagasaki. They're not upset with Oppenheimer, and some aren't even upset at the Barbenheimer memes, but rather the unprofessionalism of the official Barbie twitter account engaging in it.

• Like 3