setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

Haunted Mansion had the biggest Mon-Tue bump with +29%, followed by MI7 with +21%, in the face of the new TMNT opening. Elemental was hit hard with a 56% week-to-week drop on Tuesday versus a week-to-week drop of 41% on Monday. Indy5 and Spider-Verse 2 were not much better. MI7 faring better should indicate it did not suffer a severe loss of showings that the other films did.

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Wonka I have high hopes for because it's by the team behind the Paddington films and both those films were excellent. 

The trailer played in front of Oppenheimer and honestly it looks like a pretty good feel-good movie. I'm not sure how many people are clamoring for a Willy Wonka remake, but I think it will have good legs over Christmas

8 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-imax-run-bruce-markoe-comments/

IMAX Tried to Help 'Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning,' But Paramount Wouldn't Budge

No offense to MI7(I liked the movie) but it did not even set the yearly OW record for Imax. it just did 11m over 6 days. Oppenheimer did 21.1m in 4 days. 

Globally MI7 had china and total of 1505 imax globally for 25m OW. Oppenheimer did 35m from 740 screens WW. So there is no question of which movie deserved imax

IMAX delivered its best global opening ever for Tom Cruise’s Mission: Impossible franchise, with a $25M worldwide debut for Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One. IMAX captured 10.6% of the film’s worldwide debut on a fraction of overall screens and opened on 1,505 IMAX screens globally.

n North America, IMAX delivered 14% of the domestic box office with $11M —its highest share of opening weekend box office for any domestic release this year. IMAX has now scored a double-digit market share for five consecutive domestic debuts, the first time since 2018.

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One opened to a $14M IMAX debut internationally. Fifty-three international markets posted the biggest IMAX opening for the Mission: Impossible franchise, including the UK, France, Germany, Spain, UAE, India, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mexico and Brazil. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One will continue its run on the IMAX network before making way for Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer this weekend.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/imax-global-opening-for-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-sets-mission-franchise-record/#:~:text=IMAX delivered its best global,on 1%2C505 IMAX screens globally.

IMAX Corporation had an explosive weekend, one of their biggest ever at the global box office. On the strength of Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, which delivered a $35M debut on 740 IMAX screens worldwide. The figure represented IMAX’s biggest share ever of a film’s global opening weekend box office, with 20% of total receipts. 

Shot with IMAX film cameras, Universal Pictures’ Oppenheimer set several IMAX records at launch, including the biggest July opening IMAX weekend ever, the biggest domestic and global IMAX opening weekend of 2023, and the biggest domestic and global IMAX opening weekend ever for a Christopher Nolan film.

In North America, Oppenheimer opened to $21.1M— an IMAX-record 26.2% of the domestic box office from 411 screens. The figure marked a $51,000 per screen average for the film at IMAX locations in the United States and Canada. Internationally, Oppenheimer opened to $13.9M— 14.8% of the box office on 329 screens. Several markets have yet to open the film, including China, South Korea, Italy, and Greece. 

https://www.boxofficepro.com/oppenheimer-sets-multiple-imax-records-with-35m-debut/#:~:text=On the strength of Christopher,with 20% of total receipts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-imax-run-bruce-markoe-comments/

IMAX Tried to Help 'Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning,' But Paramount Wouldn't Budge

That's a sad bit of hubris.

I ended up seeing MIDRP1 on the big IMAX in Seattle on the final day before Oppenheimer opened, and I'm really glad I did. It looked great.

• Like 1

Even if MI ended up doing better than Oppenheimer over the same time period Paramount were foolish to think IMAX would drop a Nolan movie for anything when he is the IMAX guy. That is the major misstep they made I don't blame Paramount too much for being more wary of Indy 5 than Barbenheimer in terms of BO potential. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

MI7 releasing one week before Barbenheimer has Hellboy 2 releasing one week before The Dark Knight vibes.

At least it isn't Hellboy (2019) releasing 2 weeks before Endgame

Spoiler

I hope I'm not the only one who remembers the hilarity of that movie being summarily killed when it dropped >75% of its screens and 91% that weekend...

• Like 2

Just now, eeetooki said:

Honestly I am not sure what Cruise wanted to accomplish when he threw that fit. IMAX would never pick Cruise over Nolan. Does he want Oppenheimer to move its date or something.

Unfortunately I'd say he probably got in over his head a bit after the success of TGM and people proclaiming him and Cameron the "savior of Hollywood" last year

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Even if MI ended up doing better than Oppenheimer over the same time period Paramount were foolish to think IMAX would drop a Nolan movie for anything when he is the IMAX guy. That is the major misstep they made I don't blame Paramount too much for being more wary of Indy 5 than Barbenheimer in terms of BO potential. 

The dumbest aspect is that Paramount worked closely with IMAX on Nolan’s Interstellar movie. Paramount cannot say they were unaware of Nolan’s IMAX relationship. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The dumbest aspect is that Paramount worked closely with IMAX on Nolan’s Interstellar movie. Paramount cannot say they were unaware of Nolan’s IMAX relationship. 

Tbf Cruise may have been forcing their hand on this one

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cheddar Please said:

Unfortunately I'd say he probably got in over his head a bit after the success of TGM and people proclaiming him and Cameron the "savior of Hollywood" last year

Move over cruise and Cameron. It's gerwig and Nolan's world now!