Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

I'm not going to be celebrating TMNT Mayhem box office until I see what the legs are like. The Meg's numbers are low but expected. Lightening didn't strike twice.

Good numbers for Barbie and Oppenheimer. WB having a bad year but they'll still have the highest grossing movie of the Summer. Disney isn't having a great Summer either. Only GOTG 3 is a true win after surviving being hurt by the stench of Quantumania. TLM didn't flop but the terrible international numbers hurt it tremendously and yes the Pixar movie was saved by its legs but still not exactly a hit. Bodes well for the future though.

54 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The legs was cut short abruptly. I still couldn't understand why animation is so vulnerable facing a direct competition. I thought the movie can easily beat Elvis until it isn't. 

I think apart from competing for auds, losing a big amount of screens is partly a reason as well.

• Like 1

A $50M+ first weekend for Barbie would've been impressive, but in its third frame? SUBLIME! 

Decent start for TMNT which should leg it out to $100M at least with no competition until Paw Patrol 2 at the end of September. Not horrible for Meg 2, but clearly the first movie's overperformance was a fluke. But what it makes in China is what's really important, I guess.

Oppenheimer is still doing great and has a legit shot at passing Inception to become the biggest non-Batman movie of Nolan's career. Haunted Mansion, on the other hand, is locked to join the likes of Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Nutcracker & the Four Realms in the hall of notable financial and critical duds from Disney.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

While I agree we still have a way to go to see it reach Avengers or JW, the demo has been skewing more and more heavily female after OW. Way more than WW, let alone typical CBMs. It was up to 70% female last weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher this weekend.

so after this weekend it will need more than 9 mln females and 3 mln males to reach 600 mln. there is around 55 mln woman in america between 15-40, and around 25 mln of them already watched movie. 

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

How is ERC expecting 50M for BARBIE?

Lots and lots of rounding (like not even trying)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CJohn said:

My poor shark deserved better. Deserved a better first 70 minutes sweet jesus who approved this boring trash?

I, too, dont ever expect huge sharks to have many scenes in my huge shark movie.

45 minutes ago, John Marston said:

An alright hold. Even last week’s hold was not awful considering the number of screens it lost. Showing again that Barbenheimer was the main thing that crippled this movie. I think it even hurt the opening weekend since loads of people were saving up for the next week l

Yep all this does is confirm it was the release date not that people were not interested or that WOM was not great as some have claimed. 

42 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

so after this weekend it will need more than 9 mln females and 3 mln males to reach 600 mln. there is around 55 mln woman in america between 15-40, and around 25 mln of them already watched movie. 

You know people can watch a movie more than once, right? And in fact with this kind of movie, that's how these numbers get reached, with repeat viewings?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

You know people can watch a movie more than once, right? And in fact with this kind of movie, that's how these numbers get reached, with repeat viewings?

does it change fact that barbie needs more than 12 mln people to watch/rewatch this movie to hit 600 mln?