kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

I have to assume the low number for Strays includes the Wednesday Early Access screenings which doesn't bode well for it approaching double digits for the rest of the weekend. It's unlikely it would've fared much better in its original June 9 spot (and tbh might've fared even worse there than it is now).

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

$30 mil OW, $30 mil 2nd weekend with Cinema Day, $30 mil 4-day 3rd weekend with Labor Day.

Let's GO

Then WOM takes over with it becoming the movie that never drops, and plays like Titanic up till Dune opens. 

Makes sense to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I have to assume the low number for Strays includes the Wednesday Early Access screenings which doesn't bode well for it approaching double digits for the rest of the weekend. It's unlikely it would've fared much better in its original June 9 spot (and tbh might've fared even worse there than it is now).

As much as I want big comedies to be back, Strays seems like such a low effort for the studio, they may as well have just done it direct to streaming. I never once saw a trailer for it, barely any posters, etc. Uni seems to have basically gone "right, Mario killed it, Oppenheimer killed it, we can take the rest of the year off - marketing team, go home till the Oscar campaign for Oppie starts".

Just now, reddevil19 said:

As much as I want big comedies to be back, Strays seems like such a low effort for the studio, they may as well have just done it direct to streaming. I never once saw a trailer for it, barely any posters, etc. Uni seems to have basically gone "right, Mario killed it, Oppenheimer killed it, we can take the rest of the year off - marketing team, go home till the Oscar campaign for Oppie starts".

Strays always seemed doomed considering how dated it looked. Hardly anything about it screams "product of 2023." It's easy to picture this movie being released ten years ago with the same exact cast.

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Why blow a bunch of money marketing comedies when they continually underperform? Unfortunately I think streamers have all but officially killed the low to mid budget comedy theatrically. 

Blockbuster movies that are box office disappointments (those that did at least 2x their budget) this year so far:
1. Ant-Man3
2. FastX
3. TLM
4. Transformers ROB

5. Elemental

Blockbuster movies that have flopped this year so far:
D&D
Shazam2
Indianajones4
MI7
Haunted Mansion

Upcoming blockbuster movies, which can be box office disappointments or flops:
Blue Beetle
The Marvels
Wish
The Hunger Games budget would be less than $100 million, so I think it's safe.

Edited by Willowra

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Then WOM takes over with it becoming the movie that never drops, and plays like Titanic up till Dune opens. 

Makes sense to me.

THEY BEEN TRYNA STOP THE WAVE BUT THE WAVE WON’T STOP 🗣🗣🗣

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What would’ve made it look like a 2023 movie though?

I'm not sure anything could honestly. The "what if the stuff you enjoyed as kids was filled with dirty content instead?" comedy concept that became a thing after Ted became a surprise sensation 11 years ago just doesn't seem even remotely innovative anymore following similar movies like Sausage Party and Good Boys (or even a certified piece of shit like The Happytime Murders).

• Like 1

BoP's 26M prediction seems like a great o/u for BB. That would be around 8X. 

As someone else mentioned the Friday numbers did not look impressive in the tracking thread, but solid word of mouth should help.

Strays had 275K in EA so Thur previews were $825K.

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Upcoming blockbuster movies, which can be box office disappointments or flops:
Blue Beetle
The Marvels
Wish
The Hunger Games budget would be less than $100 million, so I think it's safe.

Bit weird to consider a Hunger Games prequel less risky than The Marvels, but I guess it depends on your definition of disappointment. How much do you think both movies are making?

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

What’s the over/under on The new Superman flopping?

Depends on the budget, but as long as it can get to profitability making at last 400M, it should be fine. I doubt it makes less than Superman Returns did in 2006.