kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

7 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

What's irritating to me, is all we've heard for years is "stop casting minority actors in white roles for the sake of diversity!" And now there's a legitimate minority superhero and nobody supports it. It's extremely annoying.

I understand this feeling, but i think they should just make better movies tbh. 

Look, i think representation matters, like, for real. But this idea that minorities have to support everything that supposedly represents them is just liberal agenda. 

We want good movies, we want to see ourselves in good shit.

I think this idea that latinos care less about representation is not true, is just that i feel latinos is probably the minority that is less likely to spent money to watch something just for the sake of representation, without any real interest or expectations about the movie itself. 

And Hollywood has been doing an awful job in this area imo, is really striking how so many of the movies made to represent minorities are simply awful or mediocre. It’s like they really believe they don’t have to put any strong effort in doing high quality projects, just cast minorities and sell the idea of revolutionary approach and expect people to blindly buy it. 

I can’t talk about Blue Beetle specifically because i didn’t watch it yet, so this is more of a general thought. But for example, i’m Latino, i care about representation and i decided to watch Talk To Me first because honestly WB marketed Blue Beetle as shit and i need more reasons to watch something other than see Bruna Marquezine acting in english. I’ll probably catch it next week or so, and it’s WB / DC fault for doing something and sell it like it’s whatever.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Deadpool 3 has enough going for to stand out from the pack of other superhero films and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is a legit draw. Can't think of much else as a guarantee hit in the genre other than Joker 2, Spider-Man 4 and The Batman Part II in the next two years.

I feel like the last 3 Hugh Jackman Wolverine appearances have been marketed as his last outing as the character. 

Rather than superhero burnout, I think it's that a lot of people have been "burnt" by disappointing superhero movies lately and are waiting for positive wom before heading to the cinema.  That's why Guardian's 3 started low, but legged it out to a decent total.  That's my 2 cents.  (but don't trust me, I was completely wrong about barbie's legs)

Edited by cedec0
  • Like 1

Deadpool 3 seems like MOM lite, I don't think audiences are clamoring for more Fox-Verse cameos. And Jackman's Wolverine's popularity is probably overstated, not like his solo movies exactly lit the box office on fire. Joker 2 will be highest grossing CBM next year.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, electride said:

TMNT has a decent chance at becoming the second highest grossing TMNT film domestically if it benefits from decent weekend drops onward, an empty schedule, and upcoming cinema day/labor day boosts. It has maybe an equal, perhaps lesser chance at hitting the $200M worldwide mark if international holds and remaining markets are kinder to it.

Falling short of that, Mutant Mayhem still laid the groundswell for what has been cited as a year where the franchise pulled in $1b in global sales based off of the work Paramount put into licensing and merchandising for the series, because at the end of the day that's really what it's all about ain't it?

It'll get its streaming series and its sequel, and even if it isn't quite the Spider-Verse/PIB success story, it's still a pretty respectable performer for a summer that has had marketing and release plans hamstrung by strikes and Barbenheimer, especially given it was made on the cheap. 

On the 1b global sales, why are those people not buying tickets? 

46 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Lots of new users this weekend. 

Was it the release of Strays that brought them to the forum?

:apocalypse:

I thought Barbenheimer would bring the most new users to the forums. 

People love to chat about disasters more than successes, it's just human psychology. It's why the news on TV almost always covers terrible events and rarely talks about good things that happen, because bad news gets more engagement.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

People love to chat about disasters more than successes, it's just human psychology. It's why the news on TV almost always covers terrible events and rarely talks about good things that happen, because bad news gets more engagement.

Yeh that says a lot doesn’t it. Scary. 

One of the biggest hits of all time opened just a few weeks ago, yet more new users show up for a $25m opener. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Human said:

The same thing I wanted to see since this craze started, the supervillain brawl.  Something like The Justice League vs The Legion of Doom or Justice Society vs The Injustice Society.  Not the team of superheroes fights one guy powerful enough to beat them, certainly not they fight a disposable army.  If you have 7ish superheroes on the team then they fight 7ish supervillains on the team.

My want for the fast and the furious franchise was for all the villains from previous films to team up to be the finale.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

ResetEra was simping hard for Blue Beetle and being insanely toxic towards everyone skeptical of it, so I imagine they're going to be piiiiiiiiiiissed when the weekend numbers come in.

But honestly, this was inevitable. Even if Warner actually believed in it and marketed it properly and there weren't any strikes to throw serious wrenches into the marketing machinery, this movie was destined to flop. If you want to turn niche characters into goldmines you need a strong brand to prop it up. That's how Marvel worked back in their golden age. And the DC brand is, in my opinion, among the top 3 most toxic and poisonous brands in entertainment right now, at least on film. It's at the level of Transformers during the time of The Last Knight.

I can't be the only one who's slowly starting to get concerned about Superman Legacy's financial prospects. Especially since both Dial of Destiny and Mutant Mayhem proved how good audiences are at holding grudges. Who's to say that the stench of Batman v Superman won't rub off on Legacy? But that's talk for later down the road.

Anyway, I guess we can say goodbye to Blue Beetle as a character for at least another decade. DC benched Green Lantern after his movie bombed, and we're just now getting a new major Lantern project, so get ready to not see Blue Beetle in any major capacity across all forms of media for years to come.

Resetera might be the worst forum I've ever spent any time reading.

A true hive mind of pure idiocy.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Deadpool 3 seems like MOM lite, I don't think audiences are clamoring for more Fox-Verse cameos. And Jackman's Wolverine's popularity is probably overstated, not like his solo movies exactly lit the box office on fire. Joker 2 will be highest grossing CBM next year.

It could end being a pretty big flop at the rate both Disney and CBMs are going these days. I felt like it was their “sure thing” next year, but yeah it feels like it has to deliver in a big way or it’s gonna bomb like every other CBM not getting impeccable WOM is now. 

3 hours ago, Willowra said:

And you gave me the warning of a thread ban when I said that Disney and Marvel Studios are sabotaging the Marvels. So it's ok for moderators to say that a studio wants to sabotage a movie, but a user can't say that?

Rules are created for us, not moderators. J- justice.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

On the 1b global sales, why are those people not buying tickets? 

Same reason as to why Dungeons and Dragons bombed: brand stigma. The Turtles are just too quirky and nerdy for the general audience to ever be interested. Granted, during the early Nickelodeon years the brand was really close to being mainstream again... and then Michael Bay came in like a wrecking ball and destroyed the brand, driving the casuals away while only the diehard fans remain. I don't think it ever recovered, seeing as the last TV series lasted a mere 2 seasons and how this new movie is performing.