CJohn

FLOP WEEKEND THRE4D | EXPEND4BLES GIG4BOMBS WITH 8.0M OW | HORROR WINS, THE REST LOSES | The Post-Bomb Venice Thread and Pre-Bomb Creator Thread | WE BOMBING, BOYS!

29 minutes ago, Eric Ross said:

Deadline Top 10. Rooting for Nun 2 to win it all.

Oppenheimer finally leaves the Top 10?  Is it gonna break that $325M level still, or is it the 2nd movie to fall into that place DOM this year (the $225-$325M range)...gonna go down to the wire, I think...at least til an Oscars rerelease...

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is the lack of cast promotion hurting?

Not really when most of these movies were sold more on brand power than star power. Of course I imagine in normal circumstances some of the cast for Expendables 4 might have done interviews, but with a 16% RT score, the studio clearly knew it was doomed and saw no point in delaying the inevitable.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Nun is really gonna win again lmao. The marketplace is in shambles.

Stop. The big wide release this weekend is a rotting corpse of a franchise. It's the product. When people want to see something they will go. I think that was proven just 2 months ago. it was proven last summer with TG Maverick.  Last Chrstmas with WOW.  Other movies have done well. Box Office is up over last year. I know it's your shtick but still. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

The strike delays have definitely taken a toll on the fall schedule, since the lack of new movies means the amount of incoming product is low. For example, Drive-Away Dolls would've been out this weekend if not for the strike (although I'm guessing it's a not-great movie with limited commercial prospects if a dumpy late February release date was their best alternative).

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Oppenheimer finally leaves the Top 10?  Is it gonna break that $325M level still, or is it the 2nd movie to fall into that place DOM this year (the $225-$325M range)...gonna go down to the wire, I think...at least til an Oscars rerelease...

It’s been pacing to finish right around $325M. Tracking very similar to TDKR on a daily basis, which would lead to around $6 million left in the tank. 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Made just over $3M this past week, should be able to leg out another 2x from there, but likely falls short of the $330M mark I had thrown out early in the run 

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hopefully the trio of new openers next week can provide a jolt to the box office collectively. I'm guessing Paw Patrol 2 takes advantage of the barren marketplace for family fare for a #1 opening.

I think it will be Saw X. Surprisingly, Lionsgate actually bothered marketing that one.

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

What a trash Box Office weekend. Not even $50m total for all movies. Would be sad if the headlines alone kill theaters before Taylor even arrives.

As I've hoped before, maybe the inevitable "worst fall season in 25 years" headlines will finally motivate Hollywood to actually settle things with these striking guilds. There are faint signs of the WGA potentially securing a new deal by October surfacing now, so there is hope, even if it isn't much.

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I think it will be Saw X. Surprisingly, Lionsgate actually bothered marketing that one.

The buzz on it being strong will help too. @ViewerAnonhas been vouching for it for months, and claimed recently that early screenings of the final cut have gone very well. We've also seen with Insidious 5 that a back-to-roots approach can work wonders if the movie is good enough, and Saw X promises such an approach.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The buzz on it being strong will help too. @ViewerAnonhas been vouching for it for months, and claimed recently that early screenings of the final cut have gone very well. We've also seen with Insidious 5 that a back-to-roots approach can work wonders if the movie is good enough, and Saw X promises such an approach.

Obviously we'll know more once real reviews come out. But everything I've read from the early screenings has been extremely positive. ViewerAnon and another insider both posted saying that this film has gotten tremendously positive reviews. Hinting its the best or one of the best entries and that at worst its the 3rd best film of the series. On top of that the director has been posting on reddit recently how happy he's been to the reactions from the few who have seen the movie and that industry people who aren't affiliated with Saw were even impressed. As well I was able to find online a few people who had either been at the Las Vegas premiere or the early showing in the Philippines and everything I've read has been extremely positive. 

Now I don't think the film will get a fresh score on rotten tomatoes but if this movie is consider Saw I or Saw II levels good, then I could see that giving Saw X an edge. If somehow this movie ends up being fresh on Rottentomatoes that would be absolutely nuts. Still not sure if it would be enough to convince naysayers to see it, but it would be helpful. Obviously screenings tend to be positive so this is all with a grain of salt.

They are also dropping the embargo Wednesday night, which believe it or not, that is early for a Saw film. All signs point to this being a great movie for Saw. Plus the fact that this movie is 1 hour and 58 mins long means that lionsgate believes in this movie. They had a clause after Saw III that every theatrical version of the Saw movies had to be 95 mins or less. This will be the longest Saw movie, and the first movie since Saw III to be over 95 mins long. I cant imagine Lionsgate would have agreed to this movie being almost 2 hours long if they felt it was a shit movie

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Oppenheimer 100% gets re-expansion during Oscar Season, which needs to be taken into account.

It will, but I don't think it 'll make that much, it opened too early in the year to have any sigificant oscar bump.

If it had opened in October and was still chugging along by the new year, maybe it could ride the oscar wave with re-expansions and make another 10-15mil from January to March  like Gravity or A Star is Born did. But everyone would have already seen it by then on digital or even streaming. Only the die hards will come back to see it in theatres in February.

• Like 2