Giorno

9/29-10/1 Weekend Thread

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

My mom and my roommate both declined to see The Creator with me this weekend because it looks too generic and boring for them. And they love sci-fi and aren't like franchise fiends or anything like that. Just something about it clearly not connecting with audiences. Not fun enough, not dark enough, not cool enough, not dark enough.

Same here . I keep trying to get my girl to see it with me but she says the trailers look too bland. She hates gore but she’s still choosing to see Saw X with me tomorrow over The Creator lol. Guess I have to see it alone next week 

58 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Really distasteful of Spongebob and friends to be promoting this movie in the middle of the SAG strike.

SpongeBob isn't part of SAG, Nickelodeon wouldn't let him join.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Giorno said:

has less to do with being "mid" and more with it not being based on anything that has a fanbase, mario got terrible reviews and made 200m in 5 days, even garbage like thor 4 and jwd made insane money despite poor-mediocre reviews

Jurassic World Dominion's performance is really good in hindsight. Especially considering it was a flat out incompetently made film

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

Tragic in ways I can't describe for The Creator and Dumb Money. Absolutely tragic. Both are great movies that deserved solid numbers. People just don't give a fuck about theaters anymore except for events. The marketplace is ill and there is no cure for it.

Saw X also performed like shit. Yeah, it will give a profit but the entire point of this was to at least pull a 20M+ OW.

Strong for Paw Patrol. It should have nice legs through October. I think that with that OD 25M OW might be in the cards.

25 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Some of us were ahead of the curve and loved JA from the jump.

We were a little confused, but it was mostly love.

I'm definitely team Jupiter as well, always have been! It's been hated a lot when it came out though, sadly

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Saw X also performed like shit. Yeah, it will give a profit but the entire point of this was to at least pull a 20M+ OW.

Strong for Paw Patrol. It should have nice legs through October. I think that with that OD 25M OW might be in the cards.

These two statements coming like this sounded really bipolar for me for some reason.

A Original Sci fi movie not doing great. That has never happened before ever. Theaters are doomed! But seriously yeah it sucks but sometimes taking a look at the past might be in order.  41 years ago the director hot off Alien and the actor hot off Empire Strikes Back and Raiders Lost of the Ark bombed pretty badly with a little sci-fi movie. Yeah the box office is not great right but using the Creator as an excuse for the usual around here seems a stretch.

• Heart 1

Studios are terrified of taking risks, so orginal idea films are becoming more and more rare. People are always complaining about wanting new ideas, but turn around and never support the movie by going to see it. Creator is just another example of something failing because its not a big IP.

Even big IP like Fast and Indy are aging out of their audience. In 20 years movies are going to be completely devoid of anything worth watching, it'll just be a bunch of tired sequels, prequels, and remakes.

Edited by Mojoguy

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

its clear with this weekend it's time for disney to finally release another traditionally animated movie to theaters:

s-l1600.jpg

They actually don't own this. They just got lucky to buy the streaming rights outside of the UK.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Disney don't own Bluey. It's BBC Australia.

It's a co-distributed between ABC (in Australia) and BBC (rest of world), Disney have streaming rights through BBC aside from Australia and New Zealand. 

Just now, Potiki said:

It's a co-distributed between ABC (in Australia) and BBC (rest of world), Disney have streaming rights through BBC aside from Australia and New Zealand. 

I think more importantly for this discussion, global merchandise rights are with BBC. Disney spending marketing money for a movie without any merchandise backend seems unlikely.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think more importantly for this discussion, global merchandise rights are with BBC. Disney spending marketing money for a movie without any merchandise backend seems unlikely.

Oh I agree can't see Disney being involved in a Bluey movie was just clarifying the ownership. 

Too bad Dumb Money is flopping so hard upon wide expansion. I saw it last weekend and it was an entertaining, if largely lacking depth, take on a major story from not too long ago with strong performances from the entire starry cast (I'm convinced Paul Dano would've eventually found his way to becoming a YouTube personality if he hadn't proven himself to be a highly skilled actor :lol:).

But it was always going to struggle between being way too soon for a true story period piece set during the COVID era, no awards buzz, and, yes, the aforementioned starry cast being unable to do any press for it.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Too bad Dumb Money is flopping so hard upon wide expansion. I saw it last weekend and it was an entertaining, if largely lacking depth, take on a major story from not too long ago with strong performances from the entire starry cast (I'm convinced Paul Dano would've eventually found his way to becoming a YouTube personality if he hadn't proven himself to be a highly skilled actor :lol:).

But it was always going to struggle between being way too soon for a true story period piece set during the COVID era, no awards buzz, and, yes, the aforementioned starry cast being unable to do any press for it.

The problem is the audience of that movie doesn't leave their houses.

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The problem is the audience of that movie doesn't leave their houses.

Honestly, I feel like the audience for this particular period piece movie (aka the social media crowd that are depicted in the film making memes out of the whole saga) consider watching a Hollywood-produced feature about something they all lived through as "beneath" them.