grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

263124230_716a8cac.gif?4

I was looking for another image specifically, one saying "6/30/14 NEVER FORGET" with Optimus Prime placed on top of a Puerto Rico flag background, but I was never able to locate it, so here's this.

9cnixks.jpeg

KuoMgbk_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Are people really complaining about TET opening not really being 90+ million because of ticket prices? Shouldn’t we just be happy AMC got a big injection on $$$ in what would have otherwise been an awful October. 

I guess it’s actually AMC rather than theatres in general lol 

$93.3M OW is amazing for a concert movie, more than Justin Beiber Never Say Never made in its entire DOM run(73M).

There is no shame in not beating Joker OW. Sales were just SO frontloaded. At this point the only ones complaining are Swifties.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

$93.3M OW is amazing for a concert movie, more than Justin Beiber Never Say Never made in its entire DOM run(73M).

There is no shame in not beating Joker OW. Sales were just SO frontloaded. At this point the only ones complaining are Swifties.

Oh definitely. It'd always have a ceiling as a concert movie but 90+ is still incredible. We're definitely getting more concert movies for at least the next two years.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/box-office-taylor-swift-eras-tour-concert-film-opening-1235572671/

MONDAY AM: Industry estimates are calling the AMC-distributed Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour concert movie’s weekend this morning at $93.3M; that’s the second-best domestic opening ever for the month of October after Joker ($96.2M). We’ve been telling you that this is where Swift was headed since Saturday night, and that’s a fantastic opening for a pic that cost between $10M-$20M, and had a marketing spend that was well below $10M.

Sunday came in at an estimated $23.3M, -28% from Saturday’s estimate of $32.3M. That means Friday was $37.7M, not the bloated reported $39M. AMC will be issuing their numbers later this morning. I understand this won’t be an Angel Studios scenario where box office is getting inflated by zany means, i.e. Swifties buying up tickets in bulk and handing them out for free, only to have the movie play to empty auditoriums. Of the 3,850 theaters that played Eras Tour, 3,748 reported into Comscore, which means that there’s 102 theaters unaccounted for, however, rival studio distribution analysts assess these types of numerical situations 365 days a year — there’s no way in hell that 102 theaters made an extra $2M-$3M here. At this level, the global start for Swift is between $124M-$126M; the international projection of $31M-$33M yesterday needs to be made official today.

Sunday came in at an estimated $23.3M, -28% from Saturday’s estimate of $32.3M. That means Friday was $37.7M, not the bloated reported $39M. AMC will be issuing their numbers later this morning. I understand this won’t be an Angel Studios scenario where box office is getting inflated by zany means, i.e. Swifties buying up tickets in bulk and handing them out for free, only to have the movie play to empty auditoriums. Of the 3,850 theaters that played Eras Tour, 3,748 reported into Comscore, which means that there’s 102 theaters unaccounted for, however, rival studio distribution analysts assess these types of numerical situations 365 days a year — there’s no way in hell that 102 theaters made an extra $2M-$3M here. At this level, the global start for Swift is between $124M-$126M; the international projection of $31M-$33M yesterday needs to be made official today.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stripe said:

No one would have believed two months ago that a concert movie would open over 90M in October. It's an awesome wonderful feat! Even more if we think about the lack of strong marketing push.

Marketing was super weak because this movie Swift didn't partner up with a studio. But marketing for blockbusters can reach $100m, which a concert movie didn't really need. Also she didn't have to share profits with a major studio.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I guess it’s actually AMC rather than theatres in general lol 

Well that isn’t true at all. 
All theatre chains played the film, brought in patrons who spent money on food and drinks. I saw the film at Cineplex on Friday. It was packed with people who bought popcorn and drinks to get the Taylor cups, etc. 

Just because AMC distributed the film and got more $$ than everyone doesn’t mean other theatres didn’t make a lot of $$ over the weekend thanks to the film. Money they otherwise would not have had thanks to an awful October schedule. 
It feels very disingenuous to make it seem like AMC and Taylor’s team were the only benefactors here. 

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Well that isn’t true at all. 
All theatre chains played the film, brought in patrons who spent money on food and drinks. I saw the film at Cineplex on Friday. It was packed with people who bought popcorn and drinks to get the Taylor cups, etc. 

Just because AMC distributed the film and got more $$ than everyone doesn’t mean other theatres didn’t make a lot of $$ over the weekend thanks to the film. Money they otherwise would not have had thanks to an awful October schedule. 
It feels very disingenuous to make it seem like AMC and Taylor’s team were the only benefactors here. 

It was just a little joke. 

AMC did do the best though.

“AMC owns 95 of the top 100 highest-grossing theater spots, or 41% of the overall exhibition marketshare of the weekend.”

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

That means Friday was $37.7M

37.7 - 2.8 = 34.9

On 10/13/2023 at 5:49 PM, Porthos said:

[Satco] OPPENHEIMER COMP: 35.37m

FFFFFFFFFFF......

(if one is not a regular of the Tracking thread, this isn't nearly as funny as it might seem)

((mind when I say "funny" I mean in a "this is my 'Joker Moment'" sort of way, BUT IT STILL COUNTS AS BEING FUNNY!!!!!!))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2