Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

Just now, CJohn said:

It is the factual truth tho.

Not even DiCaprio can open a movie anymore.

I mean, if you ask me, $25-30M for such a long movie about colonialism seems mighty impressive given how much adult dramas have struggled recently. Leo remains a star and the fact he rarely appears in movies anymore makes each one feel like a special occasion (this is only his third movie in the nearly 8 years since winning his Oscar, one of which went straight to streaming), but he's not a miracle worker either.

Very long movie and it's not summer, when more people are on vacation/have long weekends, so a Thursday night screening is more of an option. Oppenheimer got in 90-95 percent of its promo with the cast before the strike, and rode the Barbenheimer wave. Nolan himself is a huge draw.

Killers of the Flower Moon banked some promo but there would be more of it without the strikes. Scorsese is out there, but you never know if that will take a turn into more "Marty vs. The MCU" headlines rather than hype for his movie. KotFM is a somber story that looks lavish but without a "Gotta see it in IMAX!" lure for non-cinephiles.  The premiere was months ago so the review boost was minimized.

Let's see how the weekend goes.

• Like 2

Hoping that Napoleon and Argylle also make respectable enough grosses too so that way Apple is willing to give more of their major titles a shot in theaters. Take that, Netflix (especially after all the money left on the table with that Glass Onion release).

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I really don't have much faith in Napoleon regarding its BO. I'm feelin 10-15M OW, if that

I am feeling 15M total so you are being quite optimistic. 

• Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is the factual truth tho.

Not even DiCaprio can open a movie anymore.

I think it's not really fair when he can't even promote the film right now. I do think if he was doing the usual circuits, this could have gotten to 30m+

• Like 3

I'm also not high on Napoleon because I think it's gonna be one of Ridley's 'mid' ones. And those are getting caught in No Man's Land right now. But yeah I guess I would say I'm in Maggie's range. More along the lines of 30m total or something. Should AT LEAST double the Last Duel, right?

Of all the Oscar hopefuls that are yet to be released, i think Poor Thinks and The Holdovers have the best chance to do some good BO numbers. Poor Things, especially looks like it could be quirky enough for the youngsters to embrace it

Never thought my 50 million expectation for Napoleon would be an optimistic take compared to others here lol.

But I gotta say, Scott's schtick with the director's cut is wearing thin and has seriously killed any and all desire I had to see it in cinemas. Not only does it make me think "well why the fuck should I bother if the better version is gonna be on streaming?", but it just overall makes me wonder about the movie and Scott as a director, if he constantly has this issue. It's not like his movies are short, so if he repeatedly can't get his vision out there without an extra hour or two of content, then I have to question his ability. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2

I guess it’s not too surprising that Scorsese has such a cinephile fan base that would rush to buy tickets and heighten the bar to the point where the film couldn’t clear it. I’m not gonna comment with these numbers alone, but it’s very much in the “could have been better, could have been worse” camp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

People on Letterboxd seem to be enjoying it. 4.3 score. On Imdb, the reviews are kinda mid. But i wonder, why does Letterboxd have  thousand of reviews and on Imdb just 71 reviews? Has Imdb fallen that much in recent times?

Are you talking about KOTFM or...? Cause on IMDB it's at 8.4 with almost 9k scores.

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Are you talking about KOTFM or...? Cause on IMDB it's at 8.4 with almost 9k scores.

Yes, but i was referring to actual reviews. There are just 71, while on Letterboxd, there are thousands (almost 16k)

Edited by Maggie

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I mean, if you ask me, $25-30M for such a long movie about colonialism seems mighty impressive given how much adult dramas have struggled recently. Leo remains a star and the fact he rarely appears in movies anymore makes each one feel like a special occasion (this is only his third movie in the nearly 8 years since winning his Oscar, one of which went straight to streaming), but he's not a miracle worker either.

Yeah if anything this shows he still has got it. Imagine anyone else as the face of this movie, you think this gets even half of what it's going to get?