Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

47 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Never thought my 50 million expectation for Napoleon would be an optimistic take compared to others here lol.

But I gotta say, Scott's schtick with the director's cut is wearing thin and has seriously killed any and all desire I had to see it in cinemas. Not only does it make me think "well why the fuck should I bother if the better version is gonna be on streaming?", but it just overall makes me wonder about the movie and Scott as a director, if he constantly has this issue. It's not like his movies are short, so if he repeatedly can't get his vision out there without an extra hour or two of content, then I have to question his ability. 

Do you mean 50 million total or opening weekend? 

59 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Never thought my 50 million expectation for Napoleon would be an optimistic take compared to others here lol.

But I gotta say, Scott's schtick with the director's cut is wearing thin and has seriously killed any and all desire I had to see it in cinemas. Not only does it make me think "well why the fuck should I bother if the better version is gonna be on streaming?", but it just overall makes me wonder about the movie and Scott as a director, if he constantly has this issue. It's not like his movies are short, so if he repeatedly can't get his vision out there without an extra hour or two of content, then I have to question his ability. 

Yeah, that is annoying. I think Nolan has the right idea that the director’s cut should be shown in theaters. If people are willing to drive to a movie theater to see your movie, it should be the real version of the movie. 

If Leo is out there doing the promotion, the movie would have been significantly higher. The weak last week of presale cycle confirmed that star doing talk shows and interviews matter. If you don’t believe it matters, then SAG should have just cancel the strike and go back to work. They don’t matter. 

I believe creator, Venice or equaliser would have come 20% higher in a strike-less world. That is the whole point of the strike right? 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Honestly the preview number seems pretty good considering the content of the movie. I don’t understand the $200M budget. That seems pretty insane for a drama movie. 

This  is from a 3 Trillion dollar market company. They are not doing it for theatrical profit. This is add some heft to their portfolio. You can call it as marketing cost for Apple TV plus. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This  is from a 3 Trillion dollar market company. They are not doing it for theatrical profit. This is add some heft to their portfolio. You can call it as marketing cost for Apple TV plus. 

That's true, the money is chump change for Apple. But I'm asking where the money went in terms of the production. With a James Bond movie for instance, you can SEE the money on the screen. Nolan just put out a 3 hour drama movie with a bunch of big name actors and it was $100M instead of $200M. Where did Marty spend the money? Lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Seems like a screenplay issue. When you're playing with big bucks, it's probably good to have a rough idea of how long your movie will be when you start filming. I was watching a Nolan interview yesterday (the one where he briefly mentioned Eras) and he talked about the Oppenheimer script being 180 pages by the time filming began. The common wisdom is that 1 page of a standard format script is about a minute of screen time, and the movie is 3 hours long. Even if you have action sequences they should still be scripted and give an idea of how long that will take.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's true, the money is chump change for Apple. But I'm asking where the money went in terms of the production. With a James Bond movie for instance, you can SEE the money on the screen. Nolan just put out a 3 hour drama movie with a bunch of big name actors and it was $100M instead of $200M. Where did Marty spend the money? Lol

I am not certain as well. Only thing I can think off is everything was on location(no green screen) and they needed tons of extras to get the production complete. Plus how long was the production. Nolan said he finished Oppenheimer in 57 days !!! This probably would have taken longer. 

Based on Wiki, production went on for over 5 months in 2021 and then there were pickups in 2022 as well. Plus this project was in pipeline since 2016 and was supposed to go into production 2019(got delayed as distribution got changed from Paramount to Apple very late in pre production). COVID delays took it to 2021 for production to start. It seems to be a troubled production. I think grandeur was the main reason why it seems to have cost so much. They wanted to do it all in Osage county.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

People on Letterboxd seem to be enjoying it. 4.3 score. On Imdb, the reviews are kinda mid. But i wonder, why does Letterboxd have  thousand of reviews and on Imdb just 71 reviews? Has Imdb fallen that much in recent times?

1.Letterboxd users tastes closer to those of critics.

2.imdb review has a minimum character required, and reviews will be checked by imdb, which means reviews will not be post quickly.
3.Letterboxd users continue to increase.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, is there supposed to be something “wrong” with that KOTFM preview number? Did I miss where its over 40 year old adult audience was supposed to rush out on a Thursday night to see a 4 hour movie so that they can get to bed at 2am for the Friday workday? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

If Leo is out there doing the promotion, the movie would have been significantly higher. The weak last week of presale cycle confirmed that star doing talk shows and interviews matter. If you don’t believe it matters, then SAG should have just cancel the strike and go back to work. They don’t matter. 

I believe creator, Venice or equaliser would have come 20% higher in a strike-less world. That is the whole point of the strike right? 

He doesn't really do the talk show circuit, but I think we would have definitely have seen him posting on social media, doing some interviews with Marty and just being more visible. He could be on a yacht somewhere right now, and I think if he was not on strike he would be just more visible. Too bad, but I still think it's a good result and speaks to his box office draw. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sorry, is there supposed to be something “wrong” with that KOTFM preview number? Did I miss where its over 40 year old adult audience was supposed to rush out on a Thursday night to see a 4 hour movie so that they can get to bed at 2am for the Friday workday? 

I think the comps were never right so people had high and lofty expectations when this was the number all along. I would love this to make close to 30 million (closer to 30 than 20)  and before any projections came out, I think everyone would have thought that was amazing. But I have no idea what it will make this weekend because it's just too unusual.