Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

I liked KAFM but it's not as mainstream or accessible compared to things like The Departed, Wolf of Wall Street or Shutter Island which all were successful. Marty may complain that the studios don't fund his projects anymore but after seeing how KAFM is doing, you can see why this is the case. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

As much as I enjoy how angry day-and-date makes people, they won't make this same mistake twice, unless the sequel is just as bad on a critical level. I mean, day-and-date helps the narrative. Instead of it being that the film was frontloaded by fans (because it's not very good), it'll be that day-and-date kneecapped the film. So it keeps that "for the fans" power going.

Just pointing out that frontloading by fans and quality have nothing to do with each other. 

People rush out, some films are niche, they have bad legs, doesn’t mean the fans who did rush out didn’t enjoy it. 

We know the fans enjoyed FNAF, but it still had a frontloaded weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The best thing about FNAF's success is that Matthew Lillard seems to have won over yet another generation. Gen X discovered him in Scream, Millennials in Scooby-Doo and now Gen Z in Five Nights. 

Dat rizz

Matthew Lillard Hes All That GIF - Matthew Lillard Hes All That Shes All  That - Discover & Share GIFs

He’s in FNAF? Poor guy.

46 minutes ago, Eric Fazbear said:

He’s in FNAF? Poor guy.

He does have a thing for some poorly reviewed but loved films. Thirteen Ghosts is surprisingly popular with a certain generation.

Blumhouse also often offer big back-end deals dependant on overall gross. 

19 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The age of the video game era in Hollywood is upon us. They are definitely going to phase out CBMs as the bread and butter over the next decade, I’d put money on it.

I agree that video game movies are exploding and we will see boatloads of them coming in the next few years, as the video game movie curse has been broken.

The only question is whether they are a fad that dies out after a few years like YA movies from 2011-2016, or whether they replace as the dominant force in Hollywood (which, for CBMs, I'd argue started with Spider-Man breaking the OW record in 2002).

I am leaning more towards the 2nd option. It feels like the dam has been broken, and the takeover is starting. The fanbases of video games movies bring out atypical moviegoers, which is a huge advantage.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I liked KAFM but it's not as mainstream or accessible compared to things like The Departed, Wolf of Wall Street or Shutter Island which all were successful. Marty may complain that the studios don't fund his projects anymore but after seeing how KAFM is doing, you can see why this is the case. 

Budget should have been $50M instead of $200M. It’s doable. This movie did have COVID problems, though I doubt they can blame COVID for adding $150M to the budget. 

9 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

For what it's worth I think this November and December are much deeper than the last two years in terms of potential solid 60m+ hits and strong platform releases, but they obviously lack a NWH, Avatar, or even Wakanda Forever level top hit so the box office will be a couple hundred million lower even if the 3-10 films outgross the last two years by a bunch.

Yeah I'm in the same boat here. No big juggernaut, but there's enough 100M+ grossers that it won't be a total whiff. Like having Marvels at 130, Hunger Games at 140, Trolls at 120, Wonka at 180, Migration at 200, Wish at 225, Aquaman at 110 is still way below the last two years, but it's good enough for theaters to keep the lights on I suppose. Maybe we could also get something like 2018 where an Aquaman-style movie comes out of nowhere and does 350M+, though I really only see that if everything goes right for Wish a la Frozen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Fazbear said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat here. No big juggernaut, but there's enough 100M+ grossers that it won't be a total whiff. Like having Marvels at 130, Hunger Games at 140, Trolls at 120, Wonka at 180, Migration at 200, Wish at 225, Aquaman at 110 is still way below the last two years, but it's good enough for theaters to keep the lights on I suppose. Maybe we could also get something like 2018 where an Aquaman-style movie comes out of nowhere and does 350M+, though I really only see that if everything goes right for Wish a la Frozen.

Shocked you don't think Wonka can't be the breakout.

5 hours ago, Eric Fazbear said:

He’s in FNAF? Poor guy.

I mean...is he, though? Given that he was never considered the most esteemed thespian (to put it kindly), a schlocky video game adaptation aimed at teens (set around the time period his career was at its peak*) seems perfectly in line with being the best offers he can get these days.

* now is as good a time as any to remember that the studio actually tried to push him for a Golden Globe nomination for Scooby-Doo back in the day lmao.

A look at the most ludicrous movie-awards campaigns

What we really need an explanation for is how they managed to bring Mary Stuart Masterson out of 20+ years of obscurity for this. Is Jason Blum a Fried Green Tomatoes or Some Kind of Wonderful fan?!

Edited by filmlover

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean...is he, though? Given that he was never considered the most esteemed thespian (to put it kindly), a schlocky video game adaptation aimed at teens (set around the time period his career was at its peak*) seems perfectly in line with being the best offers he can get these days.

* now is as good a time as any to remember that the studio actually tried to push him for a Golden Globe nomination for Scooby-Doo back in the day lmao.

A look at the most ludicrous movie-awards campaigns

What we really need an explanation for is how they managed to bring Mary Stuart Masterson out of 20+ years of obscurity for this. Is Jason Blum a Fried Green Tomatoes or Some Kind of Wonderful fan?!

He's the full time Shaggy voice actor now, and they're constantly pumping Scooby stuff out, so I doubt he's hurting for roles lol

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Budget should have been $50M instead of $200M. It’s doable. This movie did have COVID problems, though I doubt they can blame COVID for adding $150M to the budget. 

The only way KotFM would have had a $50 million budget with Marty and Leo under Covid filming is if this was the only location:

Killers_of_the_Flower_Moon_Photo_0101-H-

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Not surprised at all. I dropped my daughter for 2PM show of "FINAF" and the multiplex was full of teens. I am now wondering how the legs are going to be. Its the water cooler movie for this fall. They not only want to see it but also want to chat about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Not surprised at all. I dropped my daughter for 2PM show of "FINAF" and the multiplex was full of teens. I am now wondering how the legs are going to be. Its the water cooler movie for this fall. They not only want to see it but also want to chat about it. 

Just gonna keep saying if that's what keeps the lights on so I can see the stuff I want to see. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Why would they do that? If they made FNAF 2 for critics instead of fans it would make much less money. They are better off continuing what they did with this movie with the sequels. Hollywood is a business.

I'm not really sure why "making a better film" and "making a film for critics" are supposed to be synonyms. Fans wouldn't have liked a better film?

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not really sure why "making a better film" and "making a film for critics" are supposed to be synonyms. Fans wouldn't have liked a better film?

What I think Is funny  is a lot of the same people slagging the MCU and the quality of their movies currently seem to be doing the whole critics who needs them thing with FNAF. Like should we not want all films to be better regardless of genre and type.

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Just gonna keep saying if that's what keeps the lights on so I can see the stuff I want to see. 

Yeah, as much as the movie's probably garbage (it won't be out until this coming Friday here), it will almost certainly be the last truly successful movie of the year, and the benefit exhibition will see from that should not be discounted. I actually hope it has staying power so the blow from the impending bad holiday slate will be softened.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1