XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The Rock is already going to be Maui in the live action Moana film. That's like the most brilliant casting EVER, and totally not Rock forcing Disney to get it made!

When they first announced it I assumed the reason they're going for it so soon was because they wanted Johnson and Cravalho in it, and that's a narrow window to do that, but now it sounds like they aren't getting her so...yeah

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I think Marvel should cancel Kang Dynasty at this point, but I don’t think there’s any need to cancel Thunderbolts or Blade at the moment. 

Interesting that it leaked today that Galactus will be the villian if the FF movie. Seems to me that Galactus is a natural choice for the cosmic Thanso level threat to the MCU now that Kang might be out.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

When they first announced it I assumed the reason they're going for it so soon was because they wanted Johnson and Cravalho in it, and that's a narrow window to do that, but now it sounds like they aren't getting her so...yeah

Unless the Rock does an Arnie and goes into politics....

In 1.5 years Marvel went from a solo Doctor Strange movie almost out-opening a freaking AVENGERS movie to a sequel to a billion dollar film becoming one of the biggest bombs of all time

It's crazy how a SOLO Doctor Strange movie did almost $200M opening weekend. Multiverse of Madness was HUGE. Marvel was an unstoppable juggernaut back in early 2022.

Edited by HummingLemon496

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Interesting that it leaked today that Galactus will be the villian if the FF movie. Seems to me that Galactus is a natural choice for the cosmic Thanso level threat to the MCU now that Kang might be out.

Galactus has been rumored to be the villain of the Fantastic Four film for many months now. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Galactus has been rumored to be the villain of the Fantastic Four film for many months now. 

Sort of got some strong confirming evidence today , though.

If ture, Marvel has lucked out; Kang can easily be replaced as the new THanod level Big Bad.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:56 AM, HummingLemon496 said:

In 1.5 years Marvel went from a solo Doctor Strange movie almost out-opening a freaking AVENGERS movie to a sequel to a billion dollar film becoming one of the biggest bombs of all time

It's crazy how a SOLO Doctor Strange movie did almost $200M opening weekend. Multiverse of Madness was HUGE. Marvel was an unstoppable juggernaut back in early 2022.

It is crazy. One wonders whether so many people being underwhelmed by it resulted in much of the indifference we’re seeing now. 

• Like 3

Imo, the biggest problem for the MCU right now is that the current storyline(s) lack compelling main characters. Theres a ton of other problems as well of course (Too many movies/shows, Disney+, no clear overreaching storyarc like in the Infinity Saga, worse villains than ever etc.), but i do think the MCU has lost nearly all of its steam due to audiences loosing the characters they always loved in one way or another.

Iron Man (Tony Stark) was THE main character of the MCU from 2008 to 2019. Audiences loved him, they were invested in his story and character arc. Endgame was a fitting end for him as well. The Problem for Marvel: You cant replace Iron Man. You just cant.

Captain America: Similiar to Iron Man, Cap was the second main character for the MCU. Endgame was imo an ideal end for him as well. Same problem: You cant replace him. There is no current character in Phase 4/5 who comes anywhere CLOSE to the levels of likebility and audience draw as Iron Man or Cap.

Thor: At this point i dont think its too controversial to say that Thor has been pretty much ruined. Thor 4 was lackluster in all aspects and literally turned him into a joke. Thor, even though hes been there from the start, has lost credibility as a character as well.

These 3 are the most important characters of the MCU in my opinion and they are also the most beloved by audiences. Well, they were. Two are dead and the third is a joke now.

And who are the new main characters of the MCU now? Captain Marvel? Nobody cares about her. Doctor Strange? MoM - even though i personally will defend that movie - clearly had a very divisive reception and its unclear whether audiences care about Dr. Strange anymore at this point. Spider-Man? Hes as popular as ever, but he and also Deadpool are more of their own characters, rather than beeing seen as clear MCU figures.

So right now there are too many movies, too many shows, no clear storyline, no sense of direction, worse and worse scripts and visual effects (bless the animators, that part is the fault of the greedy studios alone) and most important of all, audiences cleary dont care about the current "main characters" of the MCU. And if you are not invested in the characters of a movie series - then you dont go see them. 

• Like 8

Killing T’Challa was wrong. Wakanda Forever should have been set during the blip or they should have recast. But they couldn’t that because they needed to set up Ironheart for her TV show that nobody is going to watch. 

It’s been downhill since for the MCU.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Killing T’Challa was wrong. Wakanda Forever should have been set during the blip or they should have recast. But they couldn’t that because they needed to set up Ironheart for her TV show that nobody is going to watch. 

It’s been downhill since for the MCU.

The actor was fucking dead!

A lot of y'all forget it wasn't just the family mourning Chadwick but Coogler and the crew too. I think people forget how closely unit the crew was even more so than a usual Marvel movie, that Coogler almost stepped down. Ironheart, the Namor stuff, the Queen dying - all of that was in the original draft. They made the decision to have Shuri as the lead and I still think it was the right one because even with a recast (I mean it's obviously coming within the next few years through multiversal bullshit either his son or a variant), you’d still get more or less the same drop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Spider-Man? Hes as popular as ever, but he and also Deadpool are more of their own characters, rather than beeing seen as clear MCU figures.

If they don't have Peter Parker and Johny Storm be friends and have whacky adventures together, we're missing out on one of the best Marvel synergies ever.

I don’t understand the argument that recasting T’Challa would’ve been preferable to making Shuri the new Black Panther. A large part of the reason people gravitated towards the character was because of Chadwick Boseman’s portrayal. Getting a different person to play him would only be distracting, and would carry an unnecessary stigma for whoever the new actor would be, especially with how close the cast and crew apparently were to Boseman.

On another note, Mads Mikkelson as Doctor Doom would not only be incredibly boring, but also painfully desperate. Is Marvel forgetting that he already played a villain in the MCU? 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

didn’t they all all heavily promote their shows? All this stuff about not having enough talk show appearances seems like massive cope

"The Marvels will be another Elemental and have great legs."

"Talk show appearances add 100M to a film's opening weekend."

"Ms Marvel is a beloved character and a draw despite her Television show and movie bombing."

This is all 100% cope.

Words cannot describe how sad it is to me that Ms Marvel isn't popular because I think that she is a great character and has been perfectly cast. I still won't live in a fantasy world about her popularity though. I guess being the fan girl of an unpopular hero kind of limits your appeal.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3