Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 minute ago, Mango said:

All this doom and gloom is going to look real funny when Deadpool 3 does $400m next summer and everyone proclaims “Marvel is back!”

Most of us saw a bomb coming miles away. It’s been building over the mixed reception of phase 4 (5 now?) and it is just kind of culminating here. It’s a bit jarring and ironic that the first Captain Marvel was the culmination of peak MCU interest/hype/goodwill, and it just so happens the sequel is the culmination of all of that going away.

I’d say it’s time for Marvel to take a step back and reevaluate their formula, but it seems they might be doing that, with the major shake up to the Disney Plus series and the schedule reshuffling. Time will tell I guess.

But after that Cap 4 will bomb miserably so we're right back where we started.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Ike Perlmutter is a disgusting racist and misogynist and I am very suspicious of anyone defending him. 

It's no secret that Bob Iger hated him and moving Marvel Studios from Marvel Entertainment to Walt Disney Studios was one of those bullish chess move. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

All this doom and gloom is going to look real funny when Deadpool 3 does $400m next summer and everyone proclaims “Marvel is back!”

Most of us saw a bomb coming miles away. It’s been building over the mixed reception of phase 4 (5 now?) and it is just kind of culminating here. It’s a bit jarring and ironic that the first Captain Marvel was the culmination of peak MCU interest/hype/goodwill, and it just so happens the sequel is the culmination of all of that going away.

I’d say it’s time for Marvel to take a step back and reevaluate their formula, but it seems they might be doing that, with the major shake up to the Disney Plus series and the schedule reshuffling. Time will tell I guess.

I think most people expect Deadpool to do great and consider it an outlier like GOTG 3 this year 

also Deadpool 3 doing well shows audience love for older characters is driving success which is a huge problem for all the new characters they’ve introduced 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Was there any marketing for Journey to Bethlehem? It was dumped with absolutely zero fanfare.

Maybe to churches? Even my mom, who loves these musical Christian movies, didn't seem terribly interested when I mentioned it to her.

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It also has Milo Manheim, who is one of the major characters in the Thanskgiving horror movie next weekend as well. We appreciate a versatile nepo baby. 

You know you are getting old when the celebrity babies whose birth announcements you remember, are now young adults with their own careers. Milo is in a good nepo baby zone of growing up in LA around the biz, but not having to live up comparisons to a superstar parent like John David or Meryl's daughter who's always getting dragged for The Gilded Age.

13 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

We've reached a point where CBMs are as likely to flop as to succeed, maybe it's time to acknowledge the warnings of superhero fatigue were not simply scaremongering?

Because the headlines screaming, "Superhero fatigue!" predate the pandemic (the Urban Dictionary entry for it was created in 2018) and were trotted out any time any superhero movie underperformed, by people who never liked CBMs and went curiously mum about all the billion-dollar MCU grosses. The term became a source of mockery when it didn't reflect reality. So that made it easier for fans to be in denial once the perennial predictions of box office doom came to pass.

• Like 6

Just now, DInky said:

But after that Cap 4 will bomb miserably so we're right back where we started.

Possibly. Marvel doesn’t seem to have a ton of faith in the film if they are pushing it back to 2025 despite being mostly finished.

I imagine the rest of the lineup through Kang Dynasty/ Secret Wars will probably be more or less hit or miss, Marvel is gonna have to get used to no longer being a guaranteed hit machine. Whether they can learn from that and start up Phase 6 or 7 or whatever with the X-Men and Fantastic Four properly is going to be the real test. 

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Deadpool 3 is basically the litmus test of the saga. If it’s good, the MCU is good. If it’s bad then it’s truly joever, because the MCU for fans was supposed to improve on the Fox stuff.

I don't see it being a bad movie, DP1 and DP2 were well received and I think the MCU aspect is unimportant in this case as Deadpool is its own thing and more importantly Ryan Reynolds and Shawn Levy probably will be left alone with Feige concentrating on the actual MCU films for 2025.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

To paraphrase Hemingway, how does this happen? "Slowly, then all at once." People have had a bubbling discontent with the MCU (and all interconnected superhero movies) since 2019. It hit its peak and then people got filled up with shittier content. For awhile, many people stuck around, but started to look for a possible exit due to their discontent.  When people started seeing off ramps in the forms of really bad and unessential movies, they started running faster and faster for the exits. Since Black Adam last year and through to this bomb, people have abanonded ship. It will take a major recalibration to get people back on the boat. For what it's worth, I think that having Deadpool be the sole focus for next year is a good start. Would help if they didn't have any TV shows to go with it.

I think sometimes about how much better Marvel's standing, and the whole genre for that matter, would be if they just ended things with Endgame. Like that movie isn't a perfect finale, but it ends everything on a high note, all the character arcs are wrapped up. Everybody's in a happy mood, people feel content and happy, and the toys will keep on selling.

These past few years really show that sometimes it's okay for franchises to just end. And this isn't a Marvel thing, it's an every franchise thing.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Deadpool 3 will be seen as its own thing like Joker 2 will be on the DC side. It won't save Phase 5. 

Honestly think F4 should be right after Deadpool vs Cap. That has a far higher ceiling and the director really seems to be a huge fan of the material. If that cooks especially with the F4 being likely to be a new mainstay face of Marvel, Phase goodwill can creep back somewhat.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I don't see it being a bad movie, DP1 and DP2 were well received and I think the MCU aspect is unimportant in this case as Deadpool is its own thing and more importantly Ryan Reynolds and Shawn Levy probably will be left alone with Feige concentrating on the actual MCU films for 2025.

I don’t feel Shawn Levy can make a critically lauded film but I suspect the General Audience will love it, especially with the likely nostalgia pandering that helped NWH with Wolverine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Then marvel is "back" will look funny again with cap 4 and thunder bolts flopping the following year.

Don't really consider Deadpool a litmus test IMO. Character is popular,the premise is strong . Expect it to top the previous 2 entries at the least.

Real litmus test is 2025 . Can they get the audience to turn up for their new characters and stories .

Deadpool flopping is unthinkable  for me . If it somehow does. Then I just don't know.

• Like 4

Just now, YM! said:

I don’t feel Shawn Levy can make a critically lauded film but I suspect the General Audience will love it, especially with the likely nostalgia pandering that helped NWH with Wolverine.

Shawn Levy is why I think it'll turn out well, he can handle big scale as well as small scale.

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah - $34M production budget...almost no P&A spend, so they obviously decided they weren't gonna be able to sell it and cut their losses...

Probably makes $3-5M this weekend and legs to $15-20M DOM and matches OS, for a not good result, but not a bomb b/c it just didn't cost enough to be one.

Not an expensive bomb but a big flop none the less. A $34m film opening under $5m.  2k cinemas ain’t cheap either. Think those multiplier ranges are too generous as well. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

I think sometimes about how much better Marvel's standing, and the whole genre for that matter, would be if they just ended things with Endgame. Like that movie isn't a perfect finale, but it ends everything on a high note, all the character arcs are wrapped up. Everybody's in a happy mood, people feel content and happy, and the toys will keep on selling.

These past few years really show that sometimes it's okay for franchises to just end. And this isn't a Marvel thing, it's an every franchise thing.

So Guardians didn't deserve a 3rd movie to end out the trilogy? Why not?