Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I fear that my feminist card is going to be taken away if I say yes but I'm just going to say yes. Yes I think 90% of women like looking at attractive men. 

Nothing wrong with that, everyone likes eye candy. Plus a boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend helplessly in love with her would probably help humanize Carol.

Just now, Hatebox said:

Yeah, it must have been that rather than this all being predicted weeks ago 🙂

I agree with you actually, weeks ago is indeed when The Marvels thread proper went into a dramatic overdrive, by the time this thread came out most people already had it out of their systems I guess.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kon said:

The demographics revealed by Deadline are interesting:

Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian. The Marvels secured all of the PLF screens and IMAX, which rep 38% of the weekend’s take. The movie is playing best in the South, South Central, and West with the AMC Disney Springs the pic’s no. 1 venue, with close to $91K so far.  

I should mention The Marvels seems to be low on female audience even compared to other MCU movies.

That female % is ROUGH but, very diverse audience, more than usual for Marvel I think. Especially the Asian turnout.

27 minutes ago, Kon said:

The demographics revealed by Deadline are interesting:

Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian. The Marvels secured all of the PLF screens and IMAX, which rep 38% of the weekend’s take. The movie is playing best in the South, South Central, and West with the AMC Disney Springs the pic’s no. 1 venue, with close to $91K so far.  

I should mention The Marvels seems to be low on female audience even compared to other MCU movies.

The more casual/GA crowd leans female, so the lower the box office gross for what is normally a 4-quad film, the more it is likely to skew towards men. The audience here was mostly reduced to hardcore fans, not unlike Flash

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I fear that my feminist card is going to be taken away if I say yes but I'm just going to say yes. Yes I think 90% of women like looking at attractive men.

I was told previously that this preview clip added like $200M to Fallout's WW gross (over Rogue Nation)

angry henry cavill GIF by Mission Impossible

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

When did you guys give up on the MCU?

For me it was Thor 4. I was like, "oh you really stopped caring on any level. I'm done".

Iron Man 3 was when I stopped watching them on the opening weekend, Thor Ragnarok was the one that made me truly give up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, this has been a very disappointing thread so far. I expected three times the page count, decades-long walls of text and at least half of this forum suspended or banned. My excitement for the Aquaman 2 weekend thread has definitely been tempered now.

Aquaman 2 will be much more successful I think. Momoa is charismatic and likable and will likely be shirtless a lot,and James Wan knows how to make a crowd pleaser. Remember the first Aquman made 1.1 billion following Josstice League while the first CM was teased in IW and promoted as a lead in to Endgane 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, this has been a very disappointing thread so far. I expected three times the page count, decades-long walls of text and at least half of this forum suspended or banned. My excitement for the Aquaman 2 weekend thread has definitely been tempered now.

Worse thing about the 2024 slate is the lack of an all-timer weekend thread. 

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

the im let us down

11 hours ago, TommyOliver said:

I hope Feige's ego gets the better of him, and they actually make Young Avengers. I want to see that play out for the LOL's.

The announcement is 2 years too late...if it was gonna go, it should have filmed and been released right after this movie b/c they have SO many of these young characters floating around - so form, purge, have them lose but get away, etc could have happened before realizing the Avengers needed to get back together to stop the threat b/c the kids were in over their heads.

It would have had stakes, moved plot forward, and built into something.

Now, it's so late and so forced, it's gonna die a spectacular death.  It better just be a D+ show...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Worse thing about the 2024 slate is the lack of an all-timer weekend thread. 

If Deadpool 3 flops, that might cause some chaos lmao

(very unlikely though since the OG X-men are probably gonna be huge draws)

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Aquaman 2 will be much more successful I think. Momoa is charismatic and likable and will likely be shirtless a lot,and James Wan knows how to make a crowd pleaser. Remember the first Aquman made 1.1 billion following Josstice League while the first CM was teased in IW and promoted as a lead in to Endgane 

I do, too, b/c my kid wants to see it.  Originally, I thought dumpster fire open and legs, but if my youngest wants to see it, it has engaged the Fortnite/gamer audience...so they can deliver an "above Marvels and other DC total this year" total - still no good, but not the bomb that their other material and Marvels has been...