Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

The thing about FIncher is a lot of his best stuff doesn't get the respect it deserves in the moment. maybe good reviews but still getting dismissed as empty genre exercises. pretty much only Social Network was seen as undeniable straight away. the others took a minute.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

IDK it's christmas watch something nice. I watched The Last Duel on christmas with my folks a couple years ago. a good movie but somehow feel like that was a mistake.

We saw Manchester by the Sea at Christmas. Nothing could be worse than that lol

• Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not that it would be a big surprise, but that could make the annual tickets estimate sold on the-numbers.com quite off the mark (which use BO/average ticket price)

But:

The ticket-price increase represents the biggest three-year jump in many years (2019 was eight percent higher than 2016). Factors include the general rate of inflation and a higher percentage of premium tickets sold, as well as fewer children-oriented hits.

This make it sound they try to make an average of ticket solds and NATO member would know the exact value if they wanted we can imagine.

Lot of ticket are bought with child price, elderly rebate, rebate tuesday, theater chain points reward system and in place with the regular full price are still under $8.50:

https://www.cinemark.com/TicketSeatMap/?TheaterId=371&ShowtimeId=449062&CinemarkMovieId=94792&Showtime=2023-11-12T18:30:00

Yes, there are deals/discounts to be found, but it’s largely the frequent moviegoers who are aware and taking advantage of them. (also subs can artificially lower ATP depending on how they are reported). 

But that doesn’t change the fact that your basic, casual, weekend movie watcher is seeing the full price, and now with premium pricing on the first week or two of high profile new releases more likely to draw them in. The average price still does not reflect the median experience 

Fwiw, AMC in their 3rd Q report shows a US ATP of $11.40 for last 3 months and $11.65 for the year (9 months)

49 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Well, the rule is simple. People vote with their wallets. If people aren't interested in a movie, then they shouldn't be watching that movie. So, they have to save their damn hard earned money and spend it in something they feel it deserves a penny.

Now, if people aren't interested in a movie because they think MCU should do better movies, then it's very necessary NOT giving money to a movie they feel it doesn't deserve it. As a consequence, we should celebrate the failure, because a flop / failure will probably be a warning to the studio, so better movies will be released instead of mediocre ones.

I don't know what's the problem with celebrating a flop. I'm glad as hell that Fant4stic flopped. I mean, if people had given money to that crap, we would be getting Fant4stic 2 and so on. So, I'm glad it flopped because crappy movies like that doesn't deserve money. It's ironic that Fant4stic still made 111 million overseas, 8 years ago. The Marvels isn't getting that, which is hilarious.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 5

FNAF just did over $80M OW two weeks ago while you could have watched it on Peacock for free.  Granted not many people have Peacock but it still probably shaved off a couple million dollars.  

I bring this up because the problem this weekend was not ticket prices or pricing out families or late night talk shows, etc.. Stop trying to find other reasons. 

It flopped because nobody wanted to see it and the MCU has been bad for 4 years now. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The thing about FIncher is a lot of his best stuff doesn't get the respect it deserves in the moment. maybe good reviews but still getting dismissed as empty genre exercises. pretty much only Social Network was seen as undeniable straight away. the others took a minute.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2.0

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't know what's the problem with celebrating a flop.

There are better ways to do it than others, but for the people used to be on the other side, they will feel what it can be for the people getting the numbers, careers possibly ending, project cancelled, etc... and will find distasteful a glee celebration about it.

A bit like when a publication close, people that hated it and hated the people working at it will often not like people celebrating it too much when they work in the media themselves.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

watched it on Peacock for free

I wonder how much of the target audience had a peacock subscription

18 minutes ago, M37 said:

Fwiw, AMC in their 3rd Q report shows a US ATP of $11.40 for last 3 months and $11.65 for the year (9 months)

Quite in line with the $10.53 of last year for the whole country and being same price than the ATP in 1970 ($1.44 in 1970 dollar now even for a big chain that has Imax-Dolby etc... vs $1.55 back then including the mom&pop)

The Killer was RAD. Good movie. Felt almost like Fincher was talking about himself at a few points. The direction is sublime. Fassbender was fantastic as the lead. He was so cold and ruthless.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I'm a Waititi apologist, like Jojo Rabbit was one of my favorites from 2019, but man what a fast career decline he's experienced.

As with most things I blame Ryan Reynolds. Free Guy was my "OK I'm sick of this dude" turning point and it's all been downhill from there.

31 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think some people are happy because they want better movies.  Will these movies flopping lead to change?   I don't know. 

Exactly. So many people have been raising concerns for a while but it just gets ignored by the studio. People voting with their bums this time.

While I do think there is a larger share of men interested in CBMs than woman, it is reductive and non-sensical to point that as a main factor for The Marvels self-destruction. It is non-sensical to even point it as a factor at all. The massive bombage of The Marvels is not related to wokeness or woman front and center at all, even if unfortunately it will lead to thousands online saying "go woke, get broke" or whatever. I could write an essay on why The Marvels (and the MCU) are imploding:

- The franchise is 15 years old and it is no longer appealing/accessible to a younger generation (video games adaptations are the present/future), and with the youngs not caring and the older crowd only caring about the older heroes you have an issue at hands;

- TV made it like a homework to follow, it caused fatigue and made Marvel not seem like an event anymore;

- Too many teases that made it too big to follow and keep track of everything (I watch everything religiously and for the life of me I couldn't remember how Monica got her powers, besides knowing it happened in Wandavision);

- Movies and TV shows became too interconnected, making everything important, if nobody watched Ms Marvel, Wandavision and Secret Invasion supposedly you wouldn't get The Marvels;

- With the insane increase in amount of stuff to watch, Marvel started to release duds left and right (on both the TV and movies side), the Marvel brand was no longer synonimous with BANGER;

- Quantumania was hyped as the start of the Phase 5, the big return to form of Marvel and the Multiverse Saga, and it ended up as the worst Marvel movie for most and really killed the hype for the brand, which was already under problems because of the 2022 lineup (She-Hulk and Moon Knight had mixed receptions, nobody watched Ms Marvel despite good WOM, Multiverse of Madness was hyped as something it was not causing badwill, Love & Thunder another weak sequel that nobody really liked and in the middle of all of this you had Wakanda Forever, which did have a good reception but it was not enough to lift the entire boat)

- Theatrical is no longer what it was, people are not going just to pass time, you either CARE or you wait for streaming.

I could go on and on about this but honestly I have written way too much and nobody will read all of this text. In the end, I will leave with an idea I have read somewhere else like a year ago that really explains how I think most feel about the MCU nowadays: The MCU after Endgame feels like a game you love where you finished the main story and now you are trying to extend it by doing all the side quests, but it doesn't feel the same anymore.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just got back from The Marvels and it was as not bad as everyone was making it out to be m. It's paying the price from the apparant downward shift in MCU quality. 

They really need to reassess what they want to do. Captain America with the a redesigned Falcon and the Thunderbolts are not going to turn this around. 

• Like 1