Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

10 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Iger is too big of a PR pussy to actually make a tough, knowingly unpopular decision like that. He'd be too scared of "the optics."

And Disney is in quite a bit of debt themselves.

All big companies have debt. Amazon and Comcast's debt is double that of WBD and Disney.

• Community Manager
12 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

And Disney is in quite a bit of debt themselves.

Almost every company is in debt. Especially movie studios. Just because you have debt doesn't mean jack shit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, cause that worked out well for MI7...or pretty much every other summer release. This is a disaster now and if it had stayed in July it would have been apocalyptically bad.

Made $550 million. I don’t know what you’re talking about

29 minutes ago, Squire said:

What does this even mean?

It means if Disney, Netflix et al treat movies as filler thumbnails for their landing pages with no qualitative difference to tv box sets then no shit people stop thinking cinema is special. And I don’t blame them. Convenience is nice!

FWIW I think the genie’s out of the box forever now. If a generation sees streaming platforms as the primary vehicle for movie consumption then I don’t see how you win them back. A barbenheimer every few years won’t cut it. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Hatebox said:

FWIW I think the genie’s out of the box forever now. If a generation sees streaming platforms as the primary vehicle for movie consumption then I don’t see how you win them back. 

The number of breakout smashes we've seen this year (Mario, Barbie/Oppenheimer, Taylor Swift, FNAF) indicate there is still very much a demand for movie theaters. It clearly takes extra effort to get people excited anymore. Mid movies without discernable concepts clearly just aren't going to cut it when it comes to automatically bring out the masses (at least at the budgets a lot of these movies carry) anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The number of breakout smashes we've seen this year (Mario, Barbie/Oppenheimer, Taylor Swift, FNAF) indicate there is still very much a demand for movie theaters. It clearly takes extra effort to get people excited anymore. Mid movies without discernable concepts clearly just aren't going to cut it when it comes to automatically bring out the masses (at least at the budgets a lot of these movies carry) anymore.

yes, and I would argue the last point is why cinema’s in a death spiral. 3-4 megahits a year among a sea of failures is a shaky business model. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2