Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Nathan Fielder is an intellectual's comedian. I say that as someone who enjoys Nathan For You (to a point). The Curse is one of those series I cannot trust critics on, because they all want to like Nathan. 

Nathan Fielder + Safdie + A24 + Social Commentary. Forget it. It's a critic's went dream.

• Like 1

I was just on a marvel group on Facebook and this has to be the worst take I’ve read all weekend:

“Box office Grossings does not = quality. 
Top Gun 2 was one of the highest grossings of 2022. That film was predictable af. 
The Marvels is a decent flick despite it's modest grossings. If you judge a film based on it's grossings, that is very sad.”

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This movie ended with 111 million overseas, and that happened 8 years ago. The Marvels is probably making less and selling less tickets too. Amazing!

Also, Marvels has 3D and IMAX, Fant4stic had neither

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 1

A movie is for women if the stories are about women and with that i mean are about female experiences in a very specific way. Barbie is for women, Taylor Swift music is for women, Priscilla is for women.

If a main super Hero character is a woman and her struggle is about "with great Power comes great responsability" that's not particularly specific about being a woman or a man. Women can like that for sure but in the same way the can like the same strugge while watching spiderman. Women of course love spiderman too.

Some stories and struggles and experiences are universal and for every gender, some are more specifical for men or women, if you want to make a movie "only" for men or for women it has to be about these things.

Something is not for women only because the main character is female. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I was just on a marvel group on Facebook and this has to be the worst take I’ve read all weekend:

Top Gun 2 was one of the highest grossings of 2022. That film was predictable af. 
The Marvels is a decent flick despite it's modest grossings. If you judge a film based on it's grossings, that is very sad.”

Every single Marvel movie is predictable...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Nathan Fielder + Safdie + A24 + Social Commentary. Forget it. It's a critic's went dream.

Oof, yeah. I forgot about those other aspects.

That said, the show premiered two days ago and not many people are even talking about it in general. The show won't be even a fraction as talked about as Nathan For You, or even his last show, The Rehearsal. 

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Oof, yeah. I forgot about those other aspects.

That said, the show premiered two days ago and not many people are even talking about it in general. The show won't be even a fraction as talked about as Nathan For You, or even his last show, The Rehearsal. 

The perils of being on Showtime

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TMP said:

Let’s do Disney since I know more about movies than tech lol. With Dis you could do comp analysis as well though; idk if there’s any pure plays for something as big as apple. It helps that all comps for Dis kind of operate with the same metrics (Film + streaming divisions) and Comcast feels like an almost exact match since they have a theme park too. 
For Dis DCF i guess a reasonable assumption would be to project a downwards trend on streaming and theatrical revenue, both based on recent trends and I suppose just on the state of the industry. I haven’t really had a good look at their 10K so idk what their overall state is though; maybe i’m completely off base lol. Not on the clock so i guess i can be sloppy here…

Disney's strength is in its theme park, ESPN, merchandise and even their cruises. I think they have enough IP to stay relevant even if box office is no where in the ball park of last decade. Their problem is they have been not so great steward of capital. Fox buy was especially egregious considering it was highly leveraged and no amount of Avatar BO or having X Men is MCU is going to make up for it. Plus they are losing boatloads in streaming and I am not convinced they will be able out duel Netflix despite their IP. Streaming platforms are as much about tech as content. Disney is NOT a tech company to win this. There is tons of rumor that Iger came back for Disney to become an acquisition target for a bigger company(say Apple). Its possible they will spin off some of the assets into a separate company(Linear TV?) and may be make Disney a better acquisition target. its last 10 years a public company have  been simply terrible despite all the IP and success seen in Movies and elsewhere.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I mean, box office doesn't equal quality. Where's the lie?

I would never consider The Super Mario Bros. Movie an animated classic. Just as I thought Top Gun: Maverick was aggressively average.

Alternatively, some of the best films were Box-Office bombs: Walk Hard, Zoolander, etc.

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Just as I thought Top Gun: Maverick was aggressively average.

Your opinion is niche. Maverick won in all categories. Great reviews, audience reception and especially BO legs which was out of the world for something that opened outside holidays. And it did that not just domestic. It did that WW and almost grossed 1.5B without China/Russia and meh exchange rate. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Maggie said:

OT: I have not watched The Marvels yet, but it can't be worse than The Curse series. What are critics smoking, it's painfully unfunny and awkward. I barely finished the first episode, not gonna continue. Hopefully Emma Stone's Poor Things is better. I have high hopes for that one.

The cringe uncomfortable to watch vibe isn’t exactly the point? 

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Your opinion is niche. Maverick won in all categories. Great reviews, audience reception and especially BO legs which was out of the world for something that opened outside holidays. And it did that not just domestic. It did that WW and almost grossed 1.5B without China/Russia and meh exchange rate. 

At the moment it might still be a niche opinion, but once we get to the 10th anniversary, I think people will re-evaluate the film. It did was it was supposed to do: revitalize theaters. But as someone whose only experience of with the film was at home, I found it average.

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Just as I thought Top Gun: Maverick was aggressively average.

Top Gun Maverick still continues to plays in Japan even after 17 months into release...

09:00 show at Toho Cinema Hibiya has 7 admits PS at 97 Seater Theatre. IMAX/4DX continue to revive screenings whenever possible. ;)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, box office doesn't equal quality. Where's the lie?

It is the notion that predictability is an insult for an action movie like that or that only plot points that can have surprise element.

The movie has 2 of arguably the best action sequence in the history of the medium, that what it tried to do, that what people watching wanted to see, it just needed to competently enough connect them together to not lose the audience and it did.

From Titanic, Lawrence of Arabia, Bonnie and Clyde, Jurassic Park, Godfather to the Lords of the Rings trilogy (take any historically base affair that do not stray away or popular book adaptation, Marvel in general), a lot of the audience could tell you in good enough term what will happen... that not what movies tend to be about (so much that one can rewatch them and still enjoy them).

Edited by Barnack

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Saying a movie isn’t great just because it is predictable is childish af.

A great movie isn’t about just how twisted it was, it is about how it made an ordinary things feel special. TGM achieved just that, average plot but the experience was unique af. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1